Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Eh, pushing Ivey to be better on D and letting him learn from mistakes on the court works too.  98% of players get better by learning from their mistakes and getting time on the court to improve.  Experience is more helpful in development than benching and making the whole team suffer/resent you.  This isn't high school, these guys are professionals.  Bridges was great and when given the chance to be the focal point he is doing what he would have done if he wasn't benched.  If you can't motivate guys without being a prick to them then you aren't a good coach in the first place. 

Side note, why does he not hold Hayes to any standards to earn minutes?  Sure you can focus on defense but if benching magically makes guys better, Hayes should have been benched since his O was way worse than Ivey's D. 

Because Hayes generally doesn't make "the wrong play" on offense. He misses shots, but he's taking them when it's correct to. He also has a low turnover ratio. He is the "game manager QB" of PGs.

Just now, General Tso said:

Because Hayes generally doesn't make "the wrong play" on offense. He misses shots, but he's taking them when it's correct to. He also has a low turnover ratio. He is the "game manager QB" of PGs.

With one of the worst +/- on the team.  He kills offensive possessions.  Make him learn how to shoot before putting him out there.  Point being, they all have something to work on.  Cade needs to work on a lot but also needs a better team around him.  But he isn't being benched.  You can coach them up while playing.  Benching is such a bush league thing unless a player just doesn't have a team mentality in practice, and nothing suggested that about either of them.  Its a power play, and IMO helped cause tension on the team.  It would be different if they were close talent wise, but they aren't, and its obvious to see. 

17 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

With one of the worst +/- on the team.  He kills offensive possessions.  Make him learn how to shoot before putting him out there.  Point being, they all have something to work on.  Cade needs to work on a lot but also needs a better team around him.  But he isn't being benched.  You can coach them up while playing.  Benching is such a bush league thing unless a player just doesn't have a team mentality in practice, and nothing suggested that about either of them.  Its a power play, and IMO helped cause tension on the team.  It would be different if they were close talent wise, but they aren't, and its obvious to see. 

Monty was pretty much a universally praised hire. This just comes with the territory of him.

so troy passed on two 1sts for bogey last year apparently. he had a chance to turn kelly olynyk and saben lee into two 1st round picks and said no so bogey could sit on the bench for the next 50 games. is there a gm equivalent to the bar or the medical board that we can sue because this should be considered actual malpractice

41 minutes ago, General Tso said:

He wanted Bridges to develop better offensively. Idk, I feel like that coaching style worked, I'm not sure if Bridges is who he is without that early benching. 

Ivey looks more engaged on defense now.

i've also seen people say he looks scared to make mistakes because he's afraid he'll get benched for them

if they were being completely fair about the whole thing, there would've been multiple 4th quarters where cade got benched for lazy turnovers ,or missing rotations, or getting blown by. but they were just arbitrarily benching ivey because they could

36 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

so troy passed on two 1sts for bogey last year apparently. he had a chance to turn kelly olynyk and saben lee into two 1st round picks and said no so bogey could sit on the bench for the next 50 games. is there a gm equivalent to the bar or the medical board that we can sue because this should be considered actual malpractice

That tweeter is not a reliable source. Even if they're protected picks, what contender is giving 2 firsts for an injured 34 year old?

There's a lot of things Troy has done wrong, but I'd like to be fair to him about this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, General Tso said:

That tweeter is not a reliable source. Even if they're protected picks, what contender is giving 2 firsts for an injured 34 year old?

There's a lot of things Troy has done wrong, but I'd like to be fair to him about this.

if a team was really on the brink of a title and they decided they needed a knockdown shooter as a third or fourth option and they were good enough defensively to make up for him, they would absolutely offer a couple top 20-25 protected picks in a couple years. if he helps then win a ring before they're due it's a win for them, if they're still good enough in 2025 and 2027 for the picks to actually convey, it's probably a good sign for them, and if they aren't and the picks roll over into two pairs of 2nds, it probably doesn't matter to them. i don't know who has assets but miami, milwaukee, even the knicks or cleveland could've all been feasible

obviously they won't be significant picks but you can also trade them for something. keep in mind, the first, next, and only 1st round pick we can trade in any deal is our 2029 first. the only time weaver has had a spare 1st to trade since the 2020 draft, he used it to get duren. and that was a pick that lines up with giannis' prime

instead, they kept bojan "to help us win" and he's played in like 3(?) games since the trade deadline. so they likely missed out on selling at his peak value and they aren't even getting anything in return for that

22 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Yea Cade probably should get benched for his mistakes, and maybe he would have if we had Monte Morris healthy.

and if they were benching ivey at the end of games for morris that would be at least reasonable even if you/i didn't necessarily agree with it. but closing games with hayes, harris, and sasser over him is ludicrous. especially in some of those games where he helped spark a comeback or he was generally playing well and it was blatantly clear that cade needed another on ball scoring threat in the game. i don't think it was about making him earn his minutes or however monty wants to frame it, because there were nights he was at worst the second best piston and he was playing 20 minutes and getting 6 shots

this a little over the top but for the most part he's right. at the end of last year when they were playing three 10 day guys and had two starters picked up in february ,they looked like they didn't know what the defensive scheme was, where they should be in help, or how to communicate at all. a month into the season with a team that mostly had a full training camp together, the same problems are happening

54 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

and if they were benching ivey at the end of games for morris that would be at least reasonable even if you/i didn't necessarily agree with it. but closing games with hayes, harris, and sasser over him is ludicrous. especially in some of those games where he helped spark a comeback or he was generally playing well and it was blatantly clear that cade needed another on ball scoring threat in the game. i don't think it was about making him earn his minutes or however monty wants to frame it, because there were nights he was at worst the second best piston and he was playing 20 minutes and getting 6 shots

Idk, we wanted Monty over Kevin Ollie, I can't say I saw this coming though.

bojan is questionable tonight. obviously he won't play though until the next home game because they want to milk out the last false hope of any sucker still around in the form of one extra ticket sale

but when he does come back, which of the two productive top 5 picks does he replace so weaver can validate his biggest offseason move

1 hour ago, catcheryea said:

bojan is questionable tonight. obviously he won't play though until the next home game because they want to milk out the last false hope of any sucker still around in the form of one extra ticket sale

but when he does come back, which of the two productive top 5 picks does he replace so weaver can validate his biggest offseason move

I hope he takes Stew's spot. I doubt it'll happen, but that's what I want. Cade - Ivey - Ausar - Bojan - Duran

1 hour ago, catcheryea said:

Speaking off.  Thought we could use some cheering up 

Edited by BigC421/