Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

the longer this goes on, the more i buy in to the idea that monty is trying to get himself fired. i just hope they keep him around long enough so the whole losing streak is on his record because he deserves it

almost every moment of self reflection in a press conference this year has been a lie. he said after game one the offense needs to be better and he’ll figure it out. he made no lineup changes for 10 games. a couple weeks ago he said they want to look to play ivey on ball more, but obviously he didn’t make that adjustment. on wednesday he said the bench hasn’t been good enough so he needs to trim the rotation and he also needs to let ivey get loose and play a bigger role. he still played 10 guys in the 1st quarter and ivey got seven shots in a 32 point loss

On 12/9/2023 at 12:17 PM, catcheryea said:

the longer this goes on, the more i buy in to the idea that monty is trying to get himself fired. i just hope they keep him around long enough so the whole losing streak is on his record because he deserves it

almost every moment of self reflection in a press conference this year has been a lie. he said after game one the offense needs to be better and he’ll figure it out. he made no lineup changes for 10 games. a couple weeks ago he said they want to look to play ivey on ball more, but obviously he didn’t make that adjustment. on wednesday he said the bench hasn’t been good enough so he needs to trim the rotation and he also needs to let ivey get loose and play a bigger role. he still played 10 guys in the 1st quarter and ivey got seven shots in a 32 point loss

Yeah, Monty looks like he doesn't want to be here.  I hope they can have a mutual parting soon because he is setting the rebuild back even further with causing friction in the locker room and not developing anyone.  No way we pay him 78M for coaching half a season, so he needs to step up and quit or come to some sort of buyout.  But at the same time I don't want Weaver to be able to pick the next coach so he needs to go at the same time. 

lmao is nine points (if wiseman wasn't a wittle scaredy cat to get run into on a screen by cole anthony. he did make a hell of a pass though) on four trips good? nope, 2.25 ppp isn't what we want from a ball handler

watching ivey hit those two pull up mid range jumpers make this whole thing even sadder. if he was making those consistently in march of this season, you would have to consider it a success for his development. he started shooting those well in december of LAST YEAR. it was maybe one of the three biggest questions about his game before the draft and he figured it out eight weeks into his career but it doesn't even matter because monty has his head up his ***

• Like 1

i saw a funny (in the laughing through the pain way) tweet yesterday or the day before that the entire franchise revolves around troy weaver imagining the player he thinks stewart can become

didn't/can't sign a real 4 even as a backup because they have stewart and they don't want to cut into his minutes or reduce his role, ignoring his obvious flaws and blatant fit issues with most of the rest of the roster

the offense is built around the idea of him being a real floor spacer and someone who abuse mismatches with his size, despite him never being a volume shooter or someone defenses have ever cared about or someone who can effectively put the ball on the floor and get to a spot down low

the defense is built around the idea that he's basically a dpoy caliber wing defender and weakside rim protector right now and they'll willingly switch him onto all star guards with 18 seconds on the shot clock because that's who he is

the starting lineup was constructed with the idea that he's both of those things consistently, all the time, and i guess he'll also be your second leading scorer

the rotations (before they only had one other healthy big) were designed so he was almost never playing center because they only see him as a 4 now, which limits different combinations you can play from 1-4

troy said at the end of last year that stewart being out the last month or whatever hurt the team as much as cade being out the whole year. that should've been the final straw

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i saw a funny (in the laughing through the pain way) tweet yesterday or the day before that the entire franchise revolves around troy weaver imagining the player he thinks stewart can become

didn't/can't sign a real 4 even as a backup because they have stewart and they don't want to cut into his minutes or reduce his role, ignoring his obvious flaws and blatant fit issues with most of the rest of the roster

the offense is built around the idea of him being a real floor spacer and someone who abuse mismatches with his size, despite him never being a volume shooter or someone defenses have ever cared about or someone who can effectively put the ball on the floor and get to a spot down low

the defense is built around the idea that he's basically a dpoy caliber wing defender and weakside rim protector right now and they'll willingly switch him onto all star guards with 18 seconds on the shot clock because that's who he is

the starting lineup was constructed with the idea that he's both of those things consistently, all the time, and i guess he'll also be your second leading scorer

the rotations (before they only had one other healthy big) were designed so he was almost never playing center because they only see him as a 4 now, which limits different combinations you can play from 1-4

troy said at the end of last year that stewart being out the last month or whatever hurt the team as much as cade being out the whole year. that should've been the final straw

Its true, funny, and depressing all at once.  I am pretty sure when Weaver gets fired, the next guy coming in will immediately trade Stewart, Wiseman, and Bogey.  Moves he should have done a long time ago (or not done in the acquiring Wiseman). 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Its true, funny, and depressing all at once.  I am pretty sure when Weaver gets fired, the next guy coming in will immediately trade Stewart, Wiseman, and Bogey.  Moves he should have done a long time ago (or not done in the acquiring Wiseman). 

i get that there are probably some agent things at play but i genuinely can't figure out why they won't just straight up waive wiseman. you're not extending him, you're not offering the qualifying offer, you have to renounce his rights as soon as you possibly can this summer so he doesn't have a $30 million cap hold hanging over your head, no one is trading for him, you're not getting any value back. he's the worst player in the league. he's barely even a warm body at this point. it's dead money either way, at least use the roster spot on someone who can play even a little bit

33 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i get that there are probably some agent things at play but i genuinely can't figure out why they won't just straight up waive wiseman. you're not extending him, you're not offering the qualifying offer, you have to renounce his rights as soon as you possibly can this summer so he doesn't have a $30 million cap hold hanging over your head, no one is trading for him, you're not getting any value back. he's the worst player in the league. he's barely even a warm body at this point. it's dead money either way, at least use the roster spot on someone who can play even a little bit

Expiring contract to match salaries for a trade

*inhale copium*

20 hours ago, catcheryea said:

this isn't even killian hate but i can't believe in the middle (that's right, the middle) of a 21 game losing streak ivey and cade still never get to play together. is monty worried playing them at the same time will lose them games?

It doesn't look like Monty is thinking much about anything tbh. 

• Like 1

TBH, I just don't care anymore.  And based on the crowds in Detroit, nobody else does either.  Given Gores doesn't care, and Weaver is a clown running the circus with no accountability, I just can't muster up any energy to give to the Pistons right now.  Given that the team has given up, we need a culture shift again.  The losing is in our DNA at this point and we pretty much need to clean house and start over.  

9 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

TBH, I just don't care anymore.  And based on the crowds in Detroit, nobody else does either.  Given Gores doesn't care, and Weaver is a clown running the circus with no accountability, I just can't muster up any energy to give to the Pistons right now.  Given that the team has given up, we need a culture shift again.  The losing is in our DNA at this point and we pretty much need to clean house and start over.  

Get some value in trades and just strip it down. I would say only player I would have as untouchable is Duren and Thompson.

Rest I could care less really 

• Like 1