Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

On 10/12/2023 at 7:12 PM, catcheryea said:

then does it really matter how good the starters are defensively if the other team will be running off misses and turnovers the whole game?

18 minutes in, down 6

detroit has 12 turnovers, miami has 2

detroit has 0 points off turnovers, miami has 19

oprah-winfrey-shrug.gif

On 10/24/2023 at 3:27 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

Solid, get to start the year down a starter and a bunch of depth for a few weeks.  

Yeah the preseason and injuries luckily turned me off to make any bets on this team other than throwing in Cade for most improved on a couple cheap long shot parlays.  Bojan and Livers out 4 weeks is killer and all but guarantee’s a lot of 2 big lineups. Yes I include Stew as a big. I really liked the Monte addition and now it’s back to Killian.  There’s just no lineups that can both defend and spread the floor.  Development and lottery position back on my mind and it’s game 1

13 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I am incensed that Killian Hayes is still on this team, to say nothing of the minutes he's getting tonight. He sucks so, so bad. I wouldn't want him on a G league team. I'd give every single minute he's getting and give it to Sasser

Sasser is a bucket. Even as a rookie, it's clear to see.

good for them for turning up the defense and getting back in the game, but i don't think i have a lot of moral victory congratulations in me this year. there are so many things wrong with how this team is built and how they play and every good thing they accomplish this year is in spite of that

i'm glad cade's shots were falling, especially from 3, but he has to work so hard every possession. he could take the exact same shots on friday and go 6-21. is there no way monty can manufacture an open look for him? we can't play him any minutes with two real shooters on the floor at the same time?

ivey wasn't just the worst player on the floor most of the game, he looked like the worst player in the league. totally out of control on offense outside of a three minute stretch, and an unmitigated disaster on d. killian goes 0-6 from 3 and for some reason (i literally screamed at my screen) he took the technical free throw instead of cade. and he missed it. if they got anything from that position they probably win

playing two bigs and still giving up multiple second chances late to a team playing one 6'8 center because stew is either standing there watching or skipping to his rotation can't happen

On 10/12/2023 at 7:12 PM, catcheryea said:

then does it really matter how good the starters are defensively if the other team will be running off misses and turnovers the whole game?

6 minutes in, up 12-9

ausar has 3 turnovers, detroit has 5 total, charlotte has 7 points off them

On 10/26/2023 at 1:39 PM, Superduperman said:

I'll say that Ausar and even Stewart have some potential to shoot the ball. Duren is your only real interior defender. It's Hayes, you have to get him out of there, I don't care who's hurt. Start Alec Burks if you have to, but get that bum out of there

I think the thinking is, put the best defenders on the floor with Cade and let him hero ball.

Not a great strategy mind you, but it's certainly a strategy.

Good to see that the team can win without Cade doing much.

Burks needs to start next to Cade. Not that Killian is playing horribly, but Cade needs legit shooters he can pass to because he got blitzed every possession this game. And when Bogey comes back, I'd have him start over Ausar too.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Good to see that the team can win without Cade doing much.

Burks needs to start next to Cade. Not that Killian is playing horribly, but Cade needs legit shooters he can pass to because he got blitzed every possession this game. And when Bogey comes back, I'd have him start over Ausar too.

i mean i know monty likes killian for his defense but he is such a negative offensively and overall the offense is so stagnant when he's the lead guard because he just can't create any advantage. there are so many possessions (it's probably not really that many in reality but i feels like 50 a game) where he gets a high screen and take a fading or half turning mid ranger jumper without anyone else touching the ball and it's like, yes kill, they hope you take that shot every time. obviously he can't be a spot up shooter like burks or bojan but he also can't attack gaps like ivey can and take advantage of cade being doubled

bogey will take that spot when he comes back or maybe even monte morris if they decide to put ausar on the bench too. but pretty much like i thought, ausar isn't ready to be a secondary ball handler and they're really doing him a disservice by forcing him to create off the dribble against a set defense so much