Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

7 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wish Saddiq would have joined the team this off-season. I feel like he thought he had to do too much. If he would have joined after Cade it would have worked better I think. Either way, I like Ausar a lot more. I just liked Saddiq’s hard nosed demeanor.

even if cade had just been healthy last year i'm not sure he gets traded, but the saddiq - bojan - stew front court was such a bad fit for all of them something had to change. casey and weaver got so fed up with him by the end. first casey explicitly said they want him take more spot up 3s and dribble less, then he made a comment a couple weeks later about how they have gameplans for everybody but some guys probably don't read them and just throw them in the trash and do whatever they want. and then i'm convinced the end of the dallas game was actually the last straw

Hopefully between putting a better supporting cast and hopefully the right coach around Cade, he will take a big jump this year.  Really need him to become a star and him playing well vs some of the best in the game is a good sign for sure.  Still some things I wish we would have done different but I am getting a little more excited for the season than I have been in a long while.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

get james wiseman off this ******* basketball team. get troy weaver away from this ******* basketball team

throwing away duren minutes so he can stand in a corner and watch wiseman slip screens and literally stand in the way of his guards when they drive to the basket. i'm gonna lose my mind

Edited by catcheryea
  • Like 1

i have hot takes (one isn't really even a take it's just weird, one is maybe warm, and one isn't that hot if you've ready any of my posts since february)

if the other team has a wing that's worth guarding (boston, miami, etc.), ausar should start, and if they don't (cleveland), stew should start

a lot of this depends on his shot selection, but if ivey shoots between 36-38% from 3 this year i won't be surprised. he shot 37% on cns 3s last year and 47% on open cns 3s which he should get way more of playing of cade's gravity and not killian's

speaking of killian, i think it's pretty safe to say he's the worst offensive player in the league by a tremendous margin even if you factor in his passing (which at this point i think is at least a little overrated because he generates negative rim pressure and he can't make a lot of interior passes because of that). also because of that he's not a player who should have the ball in his hands for any extended period of time and obviously he hasn't been a good enough shooter at any point outside of december 2022 to play off ball. i'm not sure there's a player in the league who's as bad at anything as killian is at generating good looks for himself or his team

anyway, the hot take is that if you make me pick between wiseman and killian, and whoever i choose is playing 20 minutes a night for all 82 games this year and then signing a 4 year extension, i'm picking killian 9/10 times and the first time i see wiseman ignore the offensive set to post up for 16 seconds that's jumping to 10/10 times. wiseman is the worst player in the league

On 8/7/2023 at 2:37 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

Hopefully between putting a better supporting cast and hopefully the right coach around Cade, he will take a big jump this year.  Really need him to become a star and him playing well vs some of the best in the game is a good sign for sure.  Still some things I wish we would have done different but I am getting a little more excited for the season than I have been in a long while.  

I’m on board. I’m higher on Cade than anyone I know so take that as you will. I’m 100% expecting him to play at a lock to be an all star level this year. I don’t think he’ll ever reach a Steph/Giannis/ Durant kind of level but I think he has the ability to be a Booker/Tatum level player with better overall intangibles and flexibility.  

I think Duran is also ready now to be a high level player despite his age. Probably not ready to be an all star yet but I just see a young Bam clone that is will reach all star level sooner than expected. Just these 2 gives the team huge long term upside then you throw in Ivey who has massive long term potential at both ends of the floor.  

I think the impact Morris and Harris (throw Burks in there to a degree too) will have on this team is being undervalued.  Bojan being able to move into a 2/3 even 4th option in offensive sets can become very dangerous.  Bottom line we’ve got shooters now and to go with a top notch distributor.  We just have to trust that Monty will handle the bigs situation properly.  

Im strongly considering putting a sizable bet on the Pistons to make the playoffs at +1200 and I like throwing in the Magic for a parlay.  My only concern with the bet is if we start selling off contracts looking for greater long term success, which I’m not against as a fan just not so much my finances 

2 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

Im strongly considering putting a sizable bet on the Pistons to make the playoffs at +1200 and I like throwing in the Magic for a parlay.  My only concern with the bet is if we start selling off contracts looking for greater long term success, which I’m not against as a fan just not so much my finances 

i think we should pump the brakes a little bit. sga was a top 10 player in the league last year and okc didn't make playoffs. even if cade is an all star, the rest of the starting lineup has two terrible defenders, a big who they're basically praying turns into a positive shooter, and a 19 year old who's supposed to anchor everything. they're also planning to play duren and wiseman together, which is so untenable that i'm already chalking up every game they do it in as a loss. they could double their wins from last year and still be the third worst team in the conference

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

i think we should pump the brakes a little bit. sga was a top 10 player in the league last year and okc didn't make playoffs. even if cade is an all star, the rest of the starting lineup has two terrible defenders, a big who they're basically praying turns into a positive shooter, and a 19 year old who's supposed to anchor everything. they're also planning to play duren and wiseman together, which is so untenable that i'm already chalking up every game they do it in as a loss. they could double their wins from last year and still be the third worst team in the conference

That’s a valid point and like I said I’m counting on Monty to break away from the 2 bigs lineups (although I still prefer Duran at the 5 I don’t think him at the 4 is nearly as bad as playing any of the other bigs together ) Good example with SGA , I’ve used the Suns and Kings as examples to remind myself just how long it can take a young talented team to actually get over the hump of sucking.  However the east is a different ball game. There are real good teams in the west that miss the playoffs. I think the stones can compete with the Pacers, Nets and Hawks of the world 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

That’s a valid point and like I said I’m counting on Monty to break away from the 2 bigs lineups (although I still prefer Duran at the 5 I don’t think him at the 4 is nearly as bad as playing any of the other bigs together ) Good example with SGA , I’ve used the Suns and Kings as examples to remind myself just how long it can take a young talented team to actually get over the hump of sucking.  However the east is a different ball game. There are real good teams in the west that miss the playoffs. I think the stones can compete with the Pacers, Nets and Hawks of the world 

I actually agree with that last part.  I think adding Cade, improving the bench, and growth from Ivey and Duren, that it wouldn't be shocking to move past any or all of Charlotte, Orlando, Washington, Indiana, Brooklyn, Chicago, Toronto, and Atlanta.  We only have to jump 5 of them to make the play in games.  I am not saying its super likely because it does take time to develop and reap the benefits of home grown talent but those teams have questions and loss of talent as well.  

If Ball is healthy and Bridges comes back decent at all, I think Charlotte will be a playoff team.  Orlando has a ton of young talent too so they could get some growth and be playoff contenders. Washington fell off and I fully expect them to be the worst team in the NBA. Brooklyn played well with Bridges but I still don't see them being scary with him as their top player for a whole year.  Toronto losing FVV and Chicago aging I think they fall off. Atlanta has had some turnover and haven't looked great for a while so I think they are at risk of dropping some.  

Again, I don't think I am betting on it, but it wouldn't shock me.  If we are at least not close to the play in game this year, I will be concerned with the direction of our rebuild.