Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

19 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So what is with Duren with handles and a jump shot?  Hit a 3 ball and a couple step back jumpers at the free throw line.  That would be a nice addition to his game and help spread things out a little.  I know its summer league but that was not expected.  

If he can hit a set, no dribble, 15 footer this year it would go a long way in helping his long term prospects. Maybe eventually he develops some skill off the dribble but his handles are shaky at best right now. He could eventually develop a long game too. His passing is already pretty good. Maybe Duren develops into a modern Chris Webber? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If he can hit a set, no dribble, 15 footer this year it would go a long way in helping his long term prospects. Maybe eventually he develops some skill off the dribble but his handles are shaky at best right now. He could eventually develop a long game too. His passing is already pretty good. Maybe Duren develops into a modern Chris Webber? 

Again I know it’s against nobodies, but just having that shot in his bag is nice to see. He definitely has been working on his game. And I feel like if he does that off the dribble, his catch and shoot from 15 will probably be ok too.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Again I know it’s against nobodies, but just having that shot in his bag is nice to see. He definitely has been working on his game. And I feel like if he does that off the dribble, his catch and shoot from 15 will probably be ok too.  

For like 5 years now, Mitch Rob has been teasing us with 3 pointers during practice but Thibs will never let him shoot one lol. Nice to see Duren actually shoot a couple in a game.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

For like 5 years now, Mitch Rob has been teasing us with 3 pointers during practice but Thibs will never let him shoot one lol. Nice to see Duren actually shoot a couple in a game.

He actually shot two and is shooting 50% on the year, lol.  Probably not super likely to be common in the regular season but at least he is working on it.  And those cross-overs aren't going to work against good defenders, especially is they play him at the 4 like he was there, but again, its something he can keep working on.  

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So what is with Duren with handles and a jump shot?  Hit a 3 ball and a couple step back jumpers at the free throw line.  That would be a nice addition to his game and help spread things out a little.  I know its summer league but that was not expected.  

i'm not super sold on the shot from 3 in the short term and i don't really want to see him taking a bunch next year (and if he ends up out there a lot it's because he's stuck on the floor with wiseman which is part of the problem), but i've always thought he could be decent from the mid range if he could improve his balance in his shot. i'd really like to see him get more elbow/high post touches next year and see if he can hit cutters and shooters, and if he can add in facing up and knocking down those 15 footers, that's a really nice development for his game

the handle stuff is intriguing, i'm not sure how immediately useful it will be. maybe there's some grab and go potential but i'd rather just see him make quick hit aheads to push the break. but at the very least i'm glad to see they're letting him play around with it

• Like 2

Just now, catcheryea said:

i'm not super sold on the shot from 3 in the short term and i don't really want to see him taking a bunch next year (and if he ends up out there a lot it's because he's stuck on the floor with wiseman which is part of the problem), but i've always thought he could be decent from the mid range if he could improve his balance in his shot. i'd really like to see him get more elbow/high post touches next year and see if he can hit cutters and shooters, and if he can add in facing up and knocking down those 15 footers, that's a really nice development for his game

the handle stuff is intriguing, i'm not sure how immediately useful it will be. maybe there's some grab and go potential but i'd rather just see him make quick hit aheads to push the break. but at the very least i'm glad to see they're letting him play around with it

Yup, its a good venue to let him work on things.  And even if the dribble isn't insane, if he just develops enough of it with enough of the mid range, he can be a tough cover for a lot of guys.  Being able to shoot over or go around if someone is playing too close is big.  I don't think he ever turns into a threat from outside but he could turn into Bam which is extremely valuable.  Last year Duren shot 30% on jump shots, Bam shot 45% on significantly more volume. But Bam's rookie year he shot extremely similar to Duren so it gives me hope he will develop that since I have always seen Bam as a great outcome for Duren.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yup, its a good venue to let him work on things.  And even if the dribble isn't insane, if he just develops enough of it with enough of the mid range, he can be a tough cover for a lot of guys.  Being able to shoot over or go around if someone is playing too close is big.  I don't think he ever turns into a threat from outside but he could turn into Bam which is extremely valuable.  Last year Duren shot 30% on jump shots, Bam shot 45% on significantly more volume. But Bam's rookie year he shot extremely similar to Duren so it gives me hope he will develop that since I have always seen Bam as a great outcome for Duren.  

more than just sheer volume, i think any jump (no pun intended) in his jump shooting next year is about him figuring out his spots, making sure he gets his feet set properly, he's fully on balance, and his release is clean and consistent. even if he's only taking one or two a game, if they're good looks and his shot process is good, that's more productive than letting him fire 3s or taking terrible turn around post fades where he doesn't have consistent mechanics from shot to shot just to bump the raw attempt numbers up

after he's shown all that and you know he has good habits and foundation, whether it's late next year or the year after, you let him experiment with some off the dribble stuff, extend his range a little bit, and see how far he can actually push it

1 hour ago, catcheryea said:

I can’t imagine that his handle will be immediately useful. Even in those clips posted above, his handle is shaky at best. He dribbled way out in front of his body and it isn’t real tight. It reminded me of when Drummond used to do that. I have considerably more faith in Duren to improve that aspect of his game than I did for Dre, though. Maybe he’ll improve to the point that it is viable in a game against NBA talent, but I definitely don’t see it happening this year.

His jump shot form is pretty silky, though. I think his jump shot is absolutely viable in the league this year. The results weren’t eye popping last year, but his shot mechanics are smooth. I could see him being a little like Ayton for this upsoming year. Screen and roll guy that can also play a little from the elbow with his passing and jump shot. I see the sky as the limit in terms of his overall potential. It’s high praise to be at an Ayton level as a 2nd year guy, especially at his age. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I can’t imagine that his handle will be immediately useful. Even in those clips posted above, his handle is shaky at best. He dribbled way out in front of his body and it isn’t real tight. It reminded me of when Drummond used to do that. I have considerably more faith in Duren to improve that aspect of his game than I did for Dre, though. Maybe he’ll improve to the point that it is viable in a game against NBA talent, but I definitely don’t see it happening this year.

His jump shot form is pretty silky, though. I think his jump shot is absolutely viable in the league this year. The results weren’t eye popping last year, but his shot mechanics are smooth. I could see him being a little like Ayton for this upsoming year. Screen and roll guy that can also play a little from the elbow with his passing and jump shot. I see the sky as the limit in terms of his overall potential. It’s high praise to be at an Ayton level as a 2nd year guy, especially at his age. 

yeah the drives weren't that impressive to me aside from it being done by duren. it was mostly just a cross and trying to run by his guy. but i thought he actually created a little bit of space on the two pull up jumpers he hit. it's not something they should be using regularly in late clock situations, or at all, really, but it's definitely a little bam-ian. i just want them to make sure they're actually developing his shot and he isn't just firing them up

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

One thing that I’ve noticed is how crisp Ivey’s jumper has looked. He shot it out in front of his body a little more last year. You can tell he’s been working on his form. His pull up is looking like it could be a real weapon for him. 

he was legitimately one of the better mid range shooters in the league starting from december or january last year. the volume wasn't as high as some of the other guys, but the percentage was up there with butler, bridges, beal, and fox. he was also about the 89th percentile as an open catch and shoot 3pt shooter and once casey decided to use him as a movement shooter, he showed he could do that too. i'm definitely buying ivey jumpshot stock

• Like 1