Official Pistons Thread: Offseason

1King

51 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

in a vacuum it's a pretty meh, whatever pick (as a lot of guys would've been). taking an athletic wing with some upside makes sense for a bad team. if charlotte took him at 6 that would've been interesting as someone to play between lamelo and miller and be a cutter and wing stopper

but they're really betting on fred vinson working some miracles honestly. i think this is the last year you can guarantee cade stays for the full season. they don't just need ivey/ausar/holland to learn to shoot, it has to happen fast. if none of them become shooters, ausar is probably the only with any shot at hanging around the league, but it almost certainly won't be in detroit, so that's three years of picks thrown away after picking cade. if one of them can shoot, espeically if it's asuar, that's not great but it's not the end of the world. but they should desperately be hoping that at least two of them figure it out if they're actually going to build a lineup around cade

Its been pretty rare that New Orleans has not had their top 8 or more players with the most 3 point attempts per game shooting below 32% and most were much higher.  And the last 3 or 4 that were worse than that were older guys like Isiah Thomas and James Johnson.  And all of the guys coming in did not shoot well coming in so hopefully he can have some relatively quick impacts on Ivey, Ausar, Holland, Stewart, Grimes, and Cade.  It does need to be quick though because I agree, if we are bad again at the deadline, we will probably move Cade.  And tbh, that may not be all bad.  If we are bad again we should blow up the whole thing and collect assets like OKC did.  

10 hours ago, General Tso said:

I would temper expectations with Vinson. Some players like Lonzo took 2 years to get to a really good shooting level.

Lonzo shot 30% and 32% in his two years with the Lakers.  Year one with New Orleans he shot 37.5% and then 37.8% on two more shots per game.  So he sort of instantly was better but did have his best year at 42.3% in Chicago.

Brandon Ingram shot 29%, 39%, and 33% in LA on less than 2 shots per game.  Year one in New Orleans he shot 39% on 6 shots per game. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Lonzo shot 30% and 32% in his two years with the Lakers.  Year one with New Orleans he shot 37.5% and then 37.8% on two more shots per game.  So he sort of instantly was better but did have his best year at 42.3% in Chicago.

Brandon Ingram shot 29%, 39%, and 33% in LA on less than 2 shots per game.  Year one in New Orleans he shot 39% on 6 shots per game. 

I was looking at Lonzo's FT %, he was 56% his first year and then his second year he really jumped.

Herb Jones and Jose Alvarado also took a while for 3's.

22 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I was looking at Lonzo's FT %, he was 56% his first year and then his second year he really jumped.

Herb Jones and Jose Alvarado also took a while for 3's.

Herb Jones was a 28% 3 point shooter in college and shot almost 34% in year one from NBA range.  He was a 60% free throw shooter in college and shot 84% from the line his first year in New Orleans. 

Sure there are exceptions, like Alvarado but in general most players take big steps in year one. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Herb Jones was a 28% 3 point shooter in college and shot almost 34% in year one from NBA range.  He was a 60% free throw shooter in college and shot 84% from the line his first year in New Orleans. 

Sure there are exceptions, like Alvarado but in general most players take big steps in year one. 

Well you see it for yourself. Holland and Ausar are at a much worse starting %, so even if they jump the "expected" 6% the other players did, that would be 30% and 24%.

Ugh, taking on Tim Hardaway Jr's contract for a few 2nd round picks and giving away Grimes is a Weaver type move. If we are taking on someone's contracts to save them money, get first round picks or don't do it.  I could care less about Grimes going out but would much prefer him with upside to Hardaway's declining self.  

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Ugh, taking on Tim Hardaway Jr's contract for a few 2nd round picks and giving away Grimes is a Weaver type move. If we are taking on someone's contracts to save them money, get first round picks or don't do it.  I could care less about Grimes going out but would much prefer him with upside to Hardaway's declining self.  

I think the writing was on the wall for Grimes. The rotation was getting bloated and we still have 50M to add more players.

I don't love that we didn't get a FRP, but this seems to be the strategy

https://x.com/VinceGoodwill/status/1806704322644005000

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Weaver would have given the Mavs 3 2nds and Grimes for THJ. It might not have been an A+ move for Trajan, but this is far from a Weaver move. 

Just now, General Tso said:

I think the writing was on the wall for Grimes. The rotation was getting bloated and we still have 50M to add more players.

I don't love that we didn't get a FRP, but this seems to be the strategy

https://x.com/VinceGoodwill/status/1806704322644005000

I get why we moved Grimes, but I would have rather him play than Hardaway.  But the bottom line, if we are continuing to take on bad contracts, we need future assets that have value.  And we might as well trade Cade while he has more value since adding a bunch of bad contracts to get to the salary floor is setting us up for another year of 20 or less wins.  THJ is a step up from Joe Harris but not much.  Just feels like more of the same from Weaver.  

11 hours ago, catcheryea said:

i know trajan didn't do the initial grimes for burks and bojan trade but it's quite funny that we traded burks for grimes and then traded grimes for a worse version of burks

Kelly Olynk turned into 5 second round picks