Stunned

cjfollett

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Definitely needed a thread for this.

I was going to start one " our RD1 pick, your thoughts".  I this thread doesn't get much activity, maybe I will. I want to know what everyone thinks of this pick since the FO has been treating us with flawed RD1 picks too often and a team should at least get a good player RD1. 

I have waited and thought about this before I responded. The pick is a shock to many of us because it goes against what we have often been told about our draft philosophy:

1. Be disiplined

2. Stick to your board

3. Best Player Available

4. Look for the best deal

I have no problem with Terrell Edmonds being drafted by the Steelers. I do have a problem with when he was drafted and the fact that I did not hear anything about trying to move down to get him.  This is also a very deep class of safeties. Just because you may have had him as your top rated guy, doesn't mean that he is the top rated guy. I do believe that he was a top 100 prospect. Many services did not have him rated in the top 100, while I disagree with that I did not see him as the 28th best player anymore than I saw Baker Mayfield as the #1 prospect, Taking Denzel Ward over Bradley Chubb, giving up a #1 to pick Marcus Davenport, or taking Rashaad Penny with the  27th pick.

I am sure the fact that two players that you ideally wanted were off the board stunned you, but picking 28th, this was no shock.  We have mocked scenarios of this happening and most stuck to the board with alternatives. We may not have been enthralled with the pick, but it is hard to argue with sticking with your board and going with value.

I am reminded of the story where Chuck Noll wanted to draft John Stallworth in the first round. The Steelers did not have a third round pick, but Noll was assured that they could wait. As a result, they ended up adding two other Hall of Fame players in Swann and Lambert before taking Stallworth in the fourth. That is three Hall of Famers in three picks and throw in Webster as another who made the HOF and Donnie Shell as a free agent (who should be in the HOF). That is the definition of draft value.

I don't think anyone will be disappointed in Edmunds play as a pro or the character that he displays or leadership that he will show. He is a first class young man and someone that I liked as a Safety prospect for the Steelers. However, he probably could have been selected in round two and if not, there are some other options to fit the bill. Safety is a deep class.

The Ravens wanted back into round one to get Lamaar Jackson. Why not make that trade and get another two and a three or four? There was speculation that the Bears and one or two others wanted to move up into the first round. Again, to me go for BPA or value. If you don't like what you see and someone wants to move up, be patient and move down to get better value. If I was privilidged to be a part of the process, that would have been my argument to Mr. C and Coach T.

26 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I have waited and thought about this before I responded. The pick is a shock to many of us because it goes against what we have often been told about our draft philosophy:

1. Be disiplined

2. Stick to your board

3. Best Player Available

4. Look for the best deal

I have no problem with Terrell Edmonds being drafted by the Steelers. I do have a problem with when he was drafted and the fact that I did not hear anything about trying to move down to get him.  This is also a very deep class of safeties. Just because you may have had him as your top rated guy, doesn't mean that he is the top rated guy. I do believe that he was a top 100 prospect. Many services did not have him rated in the top 100, while I disagree with that I did not see him as the 28th best player anymore than I saw Baker Mayfield as the #1 prospect, Taking Denzel Ward over Bradley Chubb, giving up a #1 to pick Marcus Davenport, or taking Rashaad Penny with the  27th pick.

I am sure the fact that two players that you ideally wanted were off the board stunned you, but picking 28th, this was no shock.  We have mocked scenarios of this happening and most stuck to the board with alternatives. We may not have been enthralled with the pick, but it is hard to argue with sticking with your board and going with value.

I am reminded of the story where Chuck Noll wanted to draft John Stallworth in the first round. The Steelers did not have a third round pick, but Noll was assured that they could wait. As a result, they ended up adding two other Hall of Fame players in Swann and Lambert before taking Stallworth in the fourth. That is three Hall of Famers in three picks and throw in Webster as another who made the HOF and Donnie Shell as a free agent (who should be in the HOF). That is the definition of draft value.

I don't think anyone will be disappointed in Edmunds play as a pro or the character that he displays or leadership that he will show. He is a first class young man and someone that I liked as a Safety prospect for the Steelers. However, he probably could have been selected in round two and if not, there are some other options to fit the bill. Safety is a deep class.

The Ravens wanted back into round one to get Lamaar Jackson. Why not make that trade and get another two and a three or four? There was speculation that the Bears and one or two others wanted to move up into the first round. Again, to me go for BPA or value. If you don't like what you see and someone wants to move up, be patient and move down to get better value. If I was privilidged to be a part of the process, that would have been my argument to Mr. C and Coach T.

Very nice post, and it captured my thoughts exactly. This pick reminds me a little bit of Lawrence Timmons. He was a decent pick by the Steelers, but he was overdrafted IMO. Just like this Edmunds kid. I am sure they love what they've seen on tape and like what the kid has to offer. However, they are making the mistake in my opinion that another team is going to take him if they don't. You're correct in that they should have traded down to one of the teams that wanted back into the 1st. I posted a mock earlier about having Baker Mayfield sweepstakes, but it could have been the Lamar Jackson deal instead.

Oh well, I hope the kid is special and I hope to eat my words that this was a terrible pick.

42 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

If this is sarcasm, I didn't see a thread for it when I created this one.

My point was you could say you were stunned in the draft thread. Not a big deal either way.

49 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

Very nice post, and it captured my thoughts exactly.

Thanks it was a bit gut wrenching.

This pick reminds me a little bit of Lawrence Timmons. He was a decent pick by the Steelers, but he was overdrafted IMO.

Lawrence Timmons was at least a first round talent.  I didn't like the pick because like most Steelers fans, I saw us drafting Darrelle Revis.  When the Jets traded with Carolina and jumped in front of us, I was pissed. That is the draft and why you prepare and mock different scenarios. Most of us thought that Evans or Vander Esch or both would be there to choose between. I did a mock or two with one or both players being gone.  It wasn't fun, but a reality.  The Steelers are much smarter than I am as I never had Edmonds in the first round. I thought round two was being generous, but I could have justified and understood it moreso than round one.

Just like this Edmunds kid. I am sure they love what they've seen on tape and like what the kid has to offer. However, they are making the mistake in my opinion that another team is going to take him if they don't.

They may have been correct that someone else was going to overdraft him. Let them. In this scenario this is a deep draft at Safety. As Jebrick pointed out, I don't feel that it was heavy with free safety types, but plenty of Steelers style safeties. I now they love speed and size guys, but there were others to be nabbed then or later  Ronnie Harrison, Tre Flowers, DeShaun Elliot, Justin Reid, Jessie Bates III, Quinn Blanding, Marcus Allen and Kyzir White to name a few.

You're correct in that they should have traded down to one of the teams that wanted back into the 1st. I posted a mock earlier about having Baker Mayfield sweepstakes, but it could have been the Lamar Jackson deal instead.

Agreed!!!

Oh well, I hope the kid is special and I hope to eat my words that this was a terrible pick.

I don't dislike the kid or the fact we drafted him, just the draft value or where we drafted him (Round One). A few years ago I loved Sean Davis. I did not think he was over-drafted in round two.  I believed that if they wanted him, they would have to draft him there and there were not a lot of safety options that year if I recall. However, I would have been upset if they took him in round one. I felt like they should have tried to move back when they drafted Artie in round one.

7 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

My point was you could say you were stunned in the draft thread. Not a big deal either way.

I missed the draft thread because it was pinned to the top, and I see it now. Cautionary tale: don't post when drunk!

Archived