4-116 DE Dorance Armstrong

WizardHawk

The draft is not science; it's a crap shoot every year filled with I didn't see that coming moments like Cleveland taking Ward at 4.  Terrific player but I thought it would be Chubb. (For the record I predicted Mayfield, Barkley, and Darnold right.  Every other pick went off the rails after that).

Re Armstrong.  I tell my sons every year wait until we see these young men in pads, in game situations before we evaluate.  Remember Travis Frederick.  We were roasted for taking him way too early.  No value there.  I think he's worked out

10 hours ago, DaBoys said:

We weren't without 1st and 2nd round picks. We traded out of the 1st and then traded out of the 2nd. So obviously the scouts being paid at the time weren't predicting a lackluster class. They thought it was the best interest of the team. I have respect for scouts but they are wrong sometimes. I'm sorry.

Not only that, but after round 1 there may literally be only 2 other teams in the entire league that would take our exact player at the exact spot we took him. Does that mean that the other 29 NFL teams are stupid? 

Also, you guys are fooling your self if you think 100% of the scouting staff within the organization agrees with every pick the team makes.

There are paid scouts who work FOR THE TEAM that "would have taken someone else," on every single pick. 

They indeed were wrong. Thats for sure

But when your entire draft class starts at round 3, again, its pretty easy to label that class as a weak one. You have missed out on most of the top 60-70 players and in round 3 and beyond you are really gambling on traits, workout numbers and injury histories. Wasnt a hard prediction to make.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

They indeed were wrong. Thats for sure

But when your entire draft class starts at round 3, again, its pretty easy to label that class as a weak one. You have missed out on most of the top 60-70 players and in round 3 and beyond you are really gambling on traits, workout numbers and injury histories. Wasnt a hard prediction to make.

Sure. But certainly not a prediction many paid scouts within the organization had. There were obviously a large group of pro scouts that wanted these trade backs. Easy for the fan base to bash trading out of round 1 and 2 because, as you kinda said, it's really freaking dumb. And guess what, it didn't work.

We have absolutely nailed our recent drafts though, and Armstrong's thread is probably the wrong thread to have this conversation in because he is a pretty good DE.

23 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Sure. But certainly not a prediction many paid scouts within the organization had. There were obviously a large group of pro scouts that wanted these trade backs. Easy for the fan base to bash trading out of round 1 and 2 because, as you kinda said, it's really freaking dumb. And guess what, it didn't work.

We have absolutely nailed our recent drafts though, and Armstrong's thread is probably the wrong thread to have this conversation in because he is a pretty good DE.

To go back on track, as youve pointed out, He really is a good edge guy. He has a notable first step and is a very "go" type of guy. I personally felt he had a better fit as a two pointer type than a three pointer on an even front, but that giddy up, quick jump, pursuit type of player is something the team has truly lacked on that right edge. And its the kind of player Marinelli has always favored. Let your linebackers close out the run. Get your ends after the QB.

Archived