It's time to get excited about the Chiefs D again!

On 5/4/2018 at 7:48 AM, onejayhawk said:

This is a multi-year project. I hope the outline of the final form is apparent by October. September may or may not be ugly, but some point of the season will be. It's the nature of the beast. 

J

I agree whole heartedly. We won't truly know what we got with this draft class until a few years from now. However, the main point I wanted to make was that Sutton hasn't been able fully open up his playbook since 3 years ago because DJ's, Tamba's, Berry's and Poe's previous contributions have either been removed or extremely reduced. Regardless of whether this offseason's moves will immediately bare fruit, Sutton has the pieces he needs to run more exotic looks and create mismatches. I don't expect that we'll field a top 5 defense this year, but I do expect to see more personnel package variations, which can do nothing but make us more difficult to gameplan for.

Btw, how do I like a post? I can't seem to figure it out.

Noticed we tried to find replacements for all the key weaknesses in this play.

Zombo getting eaten alive, DJ late and slow to the play then a whiffed tackle. Ron Parker late with a failed tackle attempt. WTF is Peters even doing.

I agree. Veach definitely had a plan going into this years Draft and he got players who fit into that plan. Will that be enough to get the defense back on track? Only time will tell.

We should have got high character guys, who should be an improvement in specific areas of the game. Maybe we didn't got high quality 3-down starters, but we improved the defense.

Next year we have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds to go after those kind of players, if we need them. And we might got enough depth to cut some players with higher salaries. Bailey and Sorensen come into my mind as examples of players who are overpaid.

6 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Noticed we tried to find replacements for all the key weaknesses in this play.

Zombo getting eaten alive, DJ late and slow to the play then a whiffed tackle. Ron Parker late with a failed tackle attempt. WTF is Peters even doing.

Hate to say it, even though Raiders fans are happy it seems, but this was DJ a LOT last year. I seen him take tons of plays off on top of it and that was NEVER DJ.

• 2 weeks later...

The flagship is doing position breakdowns. So far we have LB and CB.

http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-Offseason-Workouts-Preview-Checking-Out-the-Linebackers/4bda3e62-826a-4d4f-b706-32da9d7db83c

http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-Offseason-Workouts-Preview-Checking-Out-the-Cornerbacks/32a7f847-c993-4f83-8109-aa73cd792cff

LB is pretty locked for the base four--Houston, Ragland, Hitchens, Ford--except not. Ford has not been healthy except for a short span of year two. Tanoh Kpassagnon and Breeland Speaks have something to say. Neither projects as a great pass rusher, but both should be stout at the point of attack. Backing up Ragland and Hitchens is 2nd-year Ukeme Eligwe and 3rd-year Terrance Smith. For a completely different look, there is Dorian o'Daniel. 

Just looking at the tools on hand, the Chiefs plan to redesign how the middle of the defense plays. As a group the LB are bigger, much more physical and project as much better against the run, but after Houston and Ford QB pressure is iffy. Also, the base defense was on less than 40% of the snaps. How with the nickel, rush and the short yardage packages look? Where will Do'D play and how much?

CB is different in that no one is back. In terms of snaps played, four of the top five are gone (to much celebration in the case of Philip Gaines). Marcus Peters could be one of the most dominant players in the NFL, but he was prone to taking games off. Replacing him at CB1 will be Kendall Fuller, which makes sense. While not the ballhawk Peters is, Fuller is an exceptional coverage CB. Opposite Fuller is an open question, but the name in pencil is David Amerson, late of the Raiders. In Oakland's 2015 defensive turnaround, Amerson was a key link. In 2016 his numbers were off and 9 games of 2017 were lost to injury. Now in his 7th year, he is the senior CB. after those two, returning Steve Nelson, two more players coming off injury, Keith Reaser and Will Redmond, and draftee Tremon Smith. Once again, the rookie is a completely different look. There are conflicting numbers on his height, ranging from just short of 5'10" to 6'. There is no conflict about the raw speed--legit sub-4.4--or the ballhawk attitude. 

There are major changes in personnel makeup throughout the defense. A significant rethinking of how to utilize the players is also indicted. Time will tell, but new stars are almost certain.

J

On 5/7/2018 at 9:04 AM, Chiefs_5627 said:

Hate to say it, even though Raiders fans are happy it seems, but this was DJ a LOT last year. I seen him take tons of plays off on top of it and that was NEVER DJ.

DJ will be better this year he needed more time to get healthy.  Peters yea he only played well when he wanted to... Glad he is gone.

5 minutes ago, valkrei said:

DJ will be better this year he needed more time to get healthy.  Peters yea he only played well when he wanted to... Glad he is gone.

Healthy or not, DJ is 35. All the football smarts you want, but the mileage adds up.

J

11 hours ago, Chiefer said:

tremon Smith could be a steal

I agree. He was not a Combine invite, but was evidently on a lot of team's deep list. They are listing him as six feet, but the college listed him at 5'10. Either way he's skinny and Tyreek Hill fast.

J

Here is the update on the safeties. http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-Offseason-Workouts-Preview-Checking-Out-the-Safeties/1f2d3fde-deb4-4a35-9e8d-8ed3ddb5f09c

Unlike CB, there is no major turnover in personnel. Instead, Sorensen and Murray are returning rotation players. With Ron Parker gone, there are shoes to fill but these two are up to it, plus they signed veteran Robert Golden. Youth is in rookie Armani Watts and 2nd year Leon McQay. Same song, different season.

It might be easy to ignore that unit, now that Eric Berry is back on the field. Whatever the other safety does (safeties do), Berry fills in the gaps. He's good that way. He's the natural leader of the secondary that will take pressure off Kendall Fuller and whomever is playing the other side. He shores up the sketchy run defense. He makes a decent defense into an outstanding defense. It's kind of nice they finally sent him some help, in the form of Dorian o'Daniel. 

J

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, the defensive line. Chris Jones is a rock star. He has already been pick as one of the 25 under 25 by PFF. Allen Bailey has also played at an elite level, but has been slow recovering form a 2016 injury. Hopefully he will more of his 2015 self this season. 

That's it.

That is all the known frontline talent on the DL, so this unit is definitely a work in progress. Newcomers are of primary interest. First in this group is hometown boy (Grandview), Xavier Williams, coming from three years in Arizona. He has a reputation as a run stuffer, which this unit needs. Also new is 3rd round pick Derick Nnadi, a prototypical two gap NT. Those two figure in the jumbo package. Of more interest are the nickel packages, which are now more than 50% of the snaps. Two LB may find their way into this mix--Tanoh Kpassagnon and Breeland Speaks. Either or both could play DE in a nickel rush package. We also have Jarvis Jenkins and Justin Hamilton as little used returning depth, who might grow into a larger role.

I suspect the story will develop more on the DL than the other parts of the defense. Derrick Houston is a constant on the edge, but someone is needed at the other end. Ford has flashed corner turning speed, but Breeland Speaks could be a rusher in the Tamba Hali mold, ie similar to a 4-3 DE. If so, it will say a lot about how the interior DL is set up. 

http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/Chiefs-Offseason-Workouts-Preview-Checking-Out-the-Defensive-Line/d562f7e7-4a19-4108-a9b8-49b7416ef9ff

J

• 4 weeks later...

Archived