Official Houston Rockets Thread: Phase 2 on hold

Pastor Dillon

Jabari is obviously not ready to be a number 1 option but I think he’s going to excel in the starting 4 role just playing defense and hitting shots. Hopefully he can make a nice pairing with Sengun. He could be a 20 point scorer if he develops his handles. He could end up being a taller version of Klay Thompson, obviously not as good a shooter. 

I like that Eason is gonna push for minutes. 

I think the starting line up has to be 

KPJ/Green/Tate/Smith/Sengun 

then if we keep Gordon it’s 

Gordon/Christopher/Matthews getting minutes off the bench and then Eason is gonna be in a battle with KJ and Garuba for that back up 4 spot/small ball center spot. We might keep Boban just so we can go big if we want to. 

Washington and Nix will be g-league guys who have potential to develop. I hope that we flip Gordon for something so that young guys can get minutes. Christopher is ready to be a 6th man. He’s gonna excel at being a scorer off the bench. 

I think eventually KPJ will be gone and we will need a starting PG but we are getting pretty set up elsewhere. I like it. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2022 at 3:35 PM, Texansfan713 said:

Looks like KJ Martin will be dealt when preseason is over.  Sucks but logically i dont see any way he gets PT with us drafting Eason.  Interesting to see what we can get in return for him. 

He’s a great 10th guy but I don’t think he’s gonna find many places that will give him a rotation spot. 

ultimately with all the draft picks we’ve had, they can’t all make the roster. At some point we will settle on 3 maybe 4 and then start adding vets around them 

Saw this excerpt on The Athletic

To close the first session of the day, the teams scrimmaged. The Athletic understands there were three groups, both in training camp and during their Bahamas retreat last week. On Tuesday, the beginning groups were as follows:

Group 1 — Porter, Green, Gordon, Jabari Smith, Alperen Şengün
Group 2 — Daishen Nix, Josh Christopher, Garrison Mathews, Jae’Sean Tate, Usman Garuba, Bruno Fernando
Group 3 — TyTy Washington Jr., Trevor Hudgins, Kenyon Martin Jr., Tari Eason, David Nwaba, Boban Marjanović

I swear if TyTy and Eason dont get minutes Im going to lose it.  Why the heck are Nix and Mathews ahead of them?

Edited by Texansfan713

4 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Saw this excerpt on The Athletic

I swear if TyTy and Eason dont get minutes Im going to lose it.  Why the heck are Nix and Mathews ahead of them?

we cant ever go on the full tank until the season is over. like it or not, Silas knows that if we finish another season in the teens for total wins, he is liable to lose his job, so he is going to want to keep some older guys in there ahead of the rookies as long as possible. 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

we cant ever go on the full tank until the season is over. like it or not, Silas knows that if we finish another season in the teens for total wins, he is liable to lose his job, so he is going to want to keep some older guys in there ahead of the rookies as long as possible. 

that would make sense if the older guys I named were actually good.  It's clear Eason is better than Mathews and Washington is better than Nix. 

20 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

that would make sense if the older guys I named were actually good.  It's clear Eason is better than Mathews and Washington is better than Nix. 

Its probably just making them earn their time.  Not uncommon to see rookies on second units when we know they are better.  Its the second day of camp, things will work themselves out and I am sure the best players will play.  Or at worst, they can showcase some of those guys in the preseason and try to flip them for something before cutting them.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2022 at 8:20 AM, Texansfan713 said:

ughh Jabari Smith sprained his ankle on the last play of practice.  

He started practice activities back on Tuesday and should be good to go for the opener. 

im pumped. Rockets won’t be very good this year but should be fun to watch. Next year we should be fighting for a playoff spot. 

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

this might be the dumbest decision Silas makes as HC other than not giving KJ Martin playing time.

I’m not a big Sengun fan right now. I think he’s still a year away from being a starter in the nba. I think if he does start, he’s gonna play 22-24 minutes a night max.