2019 NFL draft where the jags pick at 32;) (Update: pick at 7)

9 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Yeah, i could go for some TJ Hockenson on the Jaguars.  He seems like the sort of TE that would actually fit what they're looking for, and might actually use pretty well too.  Gonna cost a big pick spend to get him though i'd think.  Seems to have the whole package though.

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

lol.  What else was he gonna do?  What's the harm in declaring coming off a Heisman season where he's turning Pro next year in some sport or another?  Totally meaningless statement tbh.

Isn't the harm possibly voiding his contract with the As? Especially since that signing bonus will be worth more than his 1st contract unless he is a 1st round pick

23 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Isn't the harm possibly voiding his contract with the As? Especially since that signing bonus will be worth more than his 1st contract unless he is a 1st round pick

Not really.  There's no threat in anything for Murray right now.  Like you said...if he's picked high in the NFL draft, he goes and plays football and cashes out on his first contract.  If not...he goes back to baseball, and anything he "voids" there, is immediately made up by every other team in the league if he becomes available.  He's got literally nothing to lose.  It's win-win for him to declare.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Not really.  There's no threat in anything for Murray right now.  Like you said...if he's picked high in the NFL draft, he goes and plays football and cashes out on his first contract.  If not...he goes back to baseball, and anything he "voids" there, is immediately made up by every other team in the league if he becomes available.  He's got literally nothing to lose.  It's win-win for him to declare.

This. Let us also remember that he plays the most lucrative position in football. Kirk Cousins just got 84 million guaranteed over 3 years, which is an average of 28 million a year. If he can reach that level he has the opportunity to make great money in football before deciding if he wants to switch to baseball. 

23 hours ago, Tugboat said:

If he steps away from baseball though and stops playing it his first contract there will still probably be lower. Hitting 90 mph fastballs isn't like riding a bike and his NFL contract has to forbid him from baseball

On 16/01/2019 at 5:19 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If he steps away from baseball though and stops playing it his first contract there will still probably be lower. Hitting 90 mph fastballs isn't like riding a bike and his NFL contract has to forbid him from baseball

You're acting like he's automatically obligated to report to the NFL though, which he's not.  If he isn't drafted high enough in the NFL to land a big rookie deal, there's still a good chance he just goes straight back to baseball.  He could entirely still be using the NFL draft and promise of money there to try to leverage more money out of the As somehow.  Or the other way around, using the baseball deal hanging to influence the details of his NFL rookie deal.

This whole thing is just...a kid about to become exceedingly wealthy either way, leveraging the two-sport situation to his advantage the best he/his agent can.

Even if he does try the whole NFL thing and it doesn't work out...hitting 90mph fastballs may not be quite like riding a bike, but he's got the athletic traits and pedigree in the sport for numerous teams to take a chance on him even after time off.  The same probably isn't true the other way around, where playing QB in the NFL isn't like anything else at all.  If he doesn't do it now, he will never get another chance.  Which is the real argument that he might be inclined to go the football route first.

But even then...as a GM, i'd hate to draft a guy to be my potential starting QB who is holding the whole draft process hostage with this sorta ultimatum of, "draft me high enough to lure me to football or i go play baseball and become exceedingly wealthy anyway".  He's just looking out for his own best interests, but i'm allowed to hate that self-interested approach still.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

You're acting like he's automatically obligated to report to the NFL though, which he's not.  If he isn't drafted high enough in the NFL to land a big rookie deal, there's still a good chance he just goes straight back to baseball.  He could entirely still be using the NFL draft and promise of money there to try to leverage more money out of the As somehow.  Or the other way around, using the baseball deal hanging to influence the details of his NFL rookie deal.

Okay so here's my question since my knowledge of the 2 sport thing for someone that is a legit 1st round prospect in 2 sports unlike someone like Russell Wilson who was clearly better at football. You say he can go back to baseball but does it void his contract with the As if he doesn't report to spring training and all that while going thru the draft process. He is going to be doing workouts at QB while he should be in spring training. So does he have to sign on as a FA? How does all that work? You'd assume such a high pick for the As would likely have a short leash

17 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Okay so here's my question since my knowledge of the 2 sport thing for someone that is a legit 1st round prospect in 2 sports unlike someone like Russell Wilson who was clearly better at football. You say he can go back to baseball but does it void his contract with the As if he doesn't report to spring training and all that while going thru the draft process. He is going to be doing workouts at QB while he should be in spring training. So does he have to sign on as a FA? How does all that work? You'd assume such a high pick for the As would likely have a short leash

I'm not a baseball cap expert, but so far as i understand it at this point...if he does decide to continue pursuing football beyond baseball spring camp in ~Feb right around the combine, the A's would have grounds to essentially void his contract, meaning he'd be paying back that signing bonus.  Though they'd still own his rights for a few years if he does come back to baseball again later.  But if he ends up being a 1st round NFL draft pick, he's gonna get at least that much in signing bonus there and more, PLUS guaranteed money in actual salary.  Which is where it sounds like the As are getting MLB involved in trying to find a way to work around the rules and guarantee him more money in his rookie years to compete with an NFL rookie deal.

I think the biggest thing in all this, is that the A's obviously really want him...and if he doesn't go with baseball, they're the ones who are going to look really stupid.  They'll be out a top-10 pick, no compensatory pick because they signed him initially...and don't get the player they want.  Plus MLB "marketing" really not wanting that to happen because it kinda splatters egg on the league/sports face too.

Ultimately, there has to be the desire to void his contract on the A's behalf, which i can't see why they'd want to until they absolutely know that he's going the football route.  ie.  If it looks like there's even any hope of him still going with baseball after all...i'd imagine they'll be inclined to try to negotiate and make it work somehow.  Just to keep the relationship alive.  Just like they've done this whole time, and just like they did in granting him that exemption in his contract to go back and play college fooball this year in the first place.

Which is where declaring for the draft seems pretty much meaningless.  By most accounts, the A's fully expected him to do that at this point.  Whether he shows up for the combine/baseball spring camp will be the next big milestone in this whole saga.  But even then, it's conceivable that the A's wouldn't opt to void his deal and cut ties right then on the spot...if they think there's a chance he might not go as high as projected in the NFL draft and might report to baseball camp after that.

They're already allegedly talking about assigning him directly to their 40 man majors roster or whatever in order to get him more money and years of service toward arb rights, etc.  Plus letting him go back to play NCAA football this past year obviously.  They're already bent halfway over backwards to accommodate him.  Hardly think missing a few weeks of spring baseball is going to be make or break for them if they've already come this far and looked this desperate to make it work.  So long as he keeps them on the hook thinking he might eventually come back around to them.  It seems like they're kinda painted into a corner of, "all is forgiven if he ends up playing baseball in the end"...'cause that's the only way they come out of this looking anything but foolish.  They have nothing to gain by getting trigger-happy on cutting ties with him immediately...and everything to lose if that gives him the final shove away from baseball by being antagonistic about the situation.

The whole thing just reeks to high heavens imo.  I don't like any of it.  His refusal to just come out and pick a sport is dangerous.  One team or the other is going to get absolutely screwed.  Maybe even both.  xD

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Tbh, i'd be shocked in they weren't really interested in Risner.  He checks all sorts of boxes they seem to look for in a lineman.  Position of need, big and mean with all the right attitude, top conference competition.

Biggest question is probably whether he'll even still be there by the time our 2nd round pick rolls around.  Especially if he lights up the Senior Bowl week like he seems capable of.

Archived