Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Do any teams do it? 

I would guess absolutely not, because of what Demovsky pointed out. I'm pointing fun at the person who asked the question. Thought it was pretty much common sense that teams are not going to live stream practices. 

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Wilkerson wouldn't be a full-time edge rusher. In the nickel, you might slide him inside to rush with Daniels, Perry and maybe Adams (if he's for real) off the ends. Ideally, you'd move Wilkerson around to match him up. I'm sure Pettine will mix in some 2-4 and 3-3 as well in the nickel.  

Punting on perspective? I just made a statement that Martinez (right now) is not top-notch coverage backer. I mean, we just drafted Burks presumably because we realized we need to improve in that area with our ILBs. Burks wasn't drafted to fill holes and stop the run. Maybe Martinez improved that part of this game, but he's never been an elite athlete. I think there are plenty of situations, assuming Burks can handle it (or Jones), where you take Martinez off the field. 

How does a front 6 of Perry, Daniels, Wilkerson, Adams, Clay, Burks work with Clay as an off ball linebacker? 

Also a nickel defense without Clark and Martinez on the field is seriously idiotic!

What does this even look like?

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I would guess absolutely not, because of what Demovsky pointed out. I'm pointing fun at the person who asked the question. Thought it was pretty much common sense that teams are not going to live stream practices. 

I thought you were laughing that they might watch what you're doing lol. My bad

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So your 4-3 is:

Perry-Daniels-Adams-Wilkerson

Burks-Clay

And you think that's somehow better than:

Perry-Daniels-Clark-Clay

Martinez-Burks

????

Don't think there is any world that they take Clark off the field for Adams outside of a breather. 

Personally, I prefer a heavier line, so this would be a pretty exciting nickel formation for me:

Wilkerson-Clark-Daniels-Perry

Burks-Clay

If anything I think you swap Adams in for Wilkerson, and if you want to get faster, you move Perry to LE, CMIII to RE, and add in Rollins or Jones at ILB next to Burks. Martinez would likely fill that spot though since he is assignment sure and I'm not sure the young DBs would be in that role.

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So your 4-3 is:

Perry-Daniels-Adams-Wilkerson

Burks-Clay

And you think that's somehow better than:

Perry-Daniels-Clark-Clay

Martinez-Burks

????

I think either of those is effective on passing situations, if we are in a nickel look, which I know your original post inquired about. My original post about wanting a 4-3 look more if we don't add a vet ILB is because in a base look, I'd rather have 

Perry-Daniels-Clark-Wilk

Matthews-Martinez-Burks

vs. 

Perry-Daniels-Clark-Wilk-Matthews

Martinez-Burks

Nickel I see pros/cons in either look you suggested, however, I'd have Wilk in the game over Clark depending on down/distance in your 2-4 look. 

25 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think either of those is effective on passing situations, if we are in a nickel look, which I know your original post inquired about. My original post about wanting a 4-3 look more if we don't add a vet ILB is because in a base look, I'd rather have 

Perry-Daniels-Clark-Wilk

Matthews-Martinez-Burks

vs. 

Perry-Daniels-Clark-Wilk-Matthews

Martinez-Burks

Nickel I see pros/cons in either look you suggested, however, I'd have Wilk in the game over Clark depending on down/distance in your 2-4 look. 

Nickel look isn't a passing look. It's a standard look.

How the hell are you still confused by this? 

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Nickel look isn't a passing look. It's a standard look.

How the hell are you still confused by this? 

Not confused about anything. Your main point seems to be that Martinez should stay on the field and you like the 2-4-5 look that leaves Clay as a rusher outside. Personally, if you're considering that a standard look, I think that alignment gets murdered against the run more often than not especially with Burks in the game. While I'm sure we will see that defense plenty, I think you'll see a 4-2-5 look as well and in that defense, with Clay at SAM, I probably have Martinez out of the game on obvious passing downs unless Burks/Jones completely struggle at the WILL. 

22 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Not confused about anything. Your main point seems to be that Martinez should stay on the field and you like the 2-4-5 look that leaves Clay as a rusher outside. Personally, if you're considering that a standard look, I think that alignment gets murdered against the run more often than not especially with Burks in the game. While I'm sure we will see that defense plenty, I think you'll see a 4-2-5 look as well and in that defense, with Clay at SAM, I probably have Martinez out of the game on obvious passing downs unless Burks/Jones completely struggle at the WILL. 

So by replacing Burnett with Burks were going from 7th in yards pretty rush all the way to getting killed?

Laughable

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How does a front 6 of Perry, Daniels, Wilkerson, Adams, Clay, Burks work with Clay as an off ball linebacker? 

Also a nickel defense without Clark and Martinez on the field is seriously idiotic!

What does this even look like?

I'm normally with you on these types of things but I'm not following you at all here.

If taking Martinez off the field on Nickel makes you an idiot, is Gute not the biggest idiot of them all for trading up for Burks? Martinez will play a lot of base nickel on normal D&D teams who run out of pass sets, but if it's 3rd and 10 I'm getting him off the field for Burks or Jones.

Also think we'll see plenty of 4-3 looks this year too.

I think you're fighting too much based on a defense that no longer exists. Dom's gone. I think Pettine will move any versatile player around more than Dom did because of his desire to possess a multiple front look. Perry might play a good bit with his hand down for the first time, Mo will do some different things. Clay is super versatile, so is Jones. If we roll out the same 2-4-5 with a safety as a box player and Martinez with 2 down DL all damn game like Dom, I'll be severely disappointed.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So by replacing Burnett with Burks were going from 7th in yards pretty rush all the way to getting killed?

Laughable

I know the passing is more "dangerous" but sometimes you'd swear people lost all idea of run defense. Just in general. Nobody cares about run defense in personnel.... Unless it's some corner that can't tackle lol. I swear.

48 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm normally with you on these types of things but I'm not following you at all here.

If taking Martinez off the field on Nickel makes you an idiot, is Gute not the biggest idiot of them all for trading up for Burks? Martinez will play a lot of base nickel on normal D&D teams who run out of pass sets, but if it's 3rd and 10 I'm getting him off the field for Burks or Jones.

Also think we'll see plenty of 4-3 looks this year too.

I think you're fighting too much based on a defense that no longer exists. Dom's gone. I think Pettine will move any versatile player around more than Dom did because of his desire to possess a multiple front look. Perry might play a good bit with his hand down for the first time, Mo will do some different things. Clay is super versatile, so is Jones. If we roll out the same 2-4-5 with a safety as a box player and Martinez with 2 down DL all damn game like Dom, I'll be severely disappointed.

3rd and 10 isn't a nickel down. It's a pressure/dime down. 

It's not going to be an every down thing, but it will be the most commonly played defense for us.

You're far more likely to see that 4 down men look with Wilkerson on the end in the base. That's a run down look.

Archived