Blockbuster offer I can't refuse?

JonStark

Alright, I just got an offer that I never saw coming in a million years. I'll try to keep it short and sweet and highlight all the main points.

- 10 team, standard scoring, 3 keeper league
- Can keep a player at no cost for as long as you like without any penalties
- Currently the back to back champion, which has been done before, but no one has ever gotten the 3peat
- Plan on keeping Bell, David Johnson, Hunt (but can only start 2 RB) and have the #3 and #10 picks in the 1st round
- Planned on trading Hunt to improve other areas
- Got offered two 2018 1sts, a 2018 3rd, and a 2019 1st for Johnson

If I accept the trade, I'll have Bell and Hunt, along with the following picks for this year along with two 1sts for next year:
#3, #4, #6, #10, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, etc

The guy with the #1 pick really wants Saquon, but said he would accept #4 and #10 for #1. So if I do that, I would go into the season with:
Bell
Hunt
Saquon
#3 (Julio/Evans/Keenan)
#6 (Evans/Keenan/Allen Robinson)
plus whoever I get in the next rounds

Last thing to consider is that midseason before the trade deadline, I can use my two future 1sts to stack my team for the postseason (ie trade for a Rodgers or a Gronk)

So with all that being said, do I trade away David Johnson?

Thanks! If you need any questions answered, feel free to ask them with your post and I'll answer them too!

#4 and #10 for Barkley is a no brainer. You should have pulled off that trade yesterday. I’d be completely fine with three stud RBs...no need to trade any of them unless an unbelievable offer comes along. Three 1sts for DJ isn’t bad, but it’s not unbelievable value. I think that this is a pretty weak class for fantasy (outside of Barkley and to a lesser extent Michel). That 1st rounder next year could be a late 1st rounder...which may leave you with anything but a sure thing. 

If I traded someone away, it’d be Hunt. I like him... it not as much as Barkley, DJ, and Bell. And I also think that Hunts running style will result in a shorter career. Ideally you would get a player in return. Michael Thomas seems to get underrated...but he’s going to be a top 10 WR for the next decade. I’d try to trade for him and a first for Hunt, if that team is in need of a RB. 

Personally, I would do both deals and draft Saquon.  I think that by the end of this season that Barkley will be pretty much even with David Johnson from a fantasy perspective. Looking at age, you’re giving up a RB who is turning 27 this season for a guy who is going to be turning 22 around the Super Bowl. That’s a pretty significant advantage of doing the deal also. Add in the other picks and I wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger. To be honest, I’m surprised that guy was willing to offer you so much for Johnson when he could move up for Barkley at half the cost. 

13 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

#4 and #10 for Barkley is a no brainer. You should have pulled off that trade yesterday. I’d be completely fine with three stud RBs...no need to trade any of them unless an unbelievable offer comes along. Three 1sts for DJ isn’t bad, but it’s not unbelievable value. I think that this is a pretty weak class for fantasy (outside of Barkley and to a lesser extent Michel). That 1st rounder next year could be a late 1st rounder...which may leave you with anything but a sure thing. 

If I traded someone away, it’d be Hunt. I like him... it not as much as Barkley, DJ, and Bell. And I also think that Hunts running style will result in a shorter career. Ideally you would get a player in return. Michael Thomas seems to get underrated...but he’s going to be a top 10 WR for the next decade. I’d try to trade for him and a first for Hunt, if that team is in need of a RB. 

Trading Hunt for Michael Thomas makes no sense in this situation if he also grabs Barkley.  If he does that his roster will be David Johnson, Bell, Thomas, and Barkley. He can only keep 3 guys. At the end of the year he will lose one. 

18 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I tested the water for Hunt first, but no one bit. The guy who sent me this offer said he would give like a 1st and maybe a 2nd or 3rd, which I don't think is worth it after what we saw last year.

I can try the Michael Thomas thing, but I know that owner is pretty attached to him and doesn't get into fantasy mode until closer to August.

19 minutes ago, winitall said:

Trading Hunt for Michael Thomas makes no sense in this situation if he also grabs Barkley.  If he does that his roster will be David Johnson, Bell, Thomas, and Barkley. He can only keep 3 guys. At the end of the year he will lose one. 

You’re right...I missed the three keeper detail. 

I would go ahead and take the deal if I were you, especially if you can get the #1 pick and snag Barkley while still having the #3 and #6 picks. 3 first rounders isn’t necessarily great value for David Johnson, but when you consider where your roster is at and the fact you can work your way up to #1, I think for your team it’s a trade that makes a ton of sense 

You could trade to number 1 and not even have to be locked in on Barkley. If another team is in a similar situation to you and has 4 keeper worthy players, someone more attractive than Barkley may be a part of the draft pool.

Archived