2018 FIFA World Cup Group A & Group B

LeeEvans

8 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Ugh, so unfortunate for Egypt. Just lost concentration at the end

Yeah it was weird. They were so composed and were starting to threaten and then just gave away stupid free kicks and lost their composure. 

The guy they fouled to give away the freekick was Giminez who scored the goal. Why on earth would you foul a CB who's stranded on the wing? 

Egypt showed me a lot though, I really believe they advance and smack Russia four days from now.

8 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Oh, and that caps a good couple of days for Gimenez.  Signed a contract extension yesterday and scored the winning goal for his country today

Diego Godin and Gimenez were fantastic. Godin was MOTM in my opinion, got forward better than any of the midfielders and defended so coolly as usual. 

2 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Diego Godin and Gimenez were fantastic. Godin was MOTM in my opinion, got forward better than any of the midfielders and defended so coolly as usual. 

Uruguay have a huge hole midfield, doesn't help when Suarez looks like he doesn't want to be there.

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

Uruguay have a huge hole midfield, doesn't help when Suarez looks like he doesn't want to be there.

They've got plenty of talent there to be honest, at least centrally. I think they havent quite figured out how to play short through the middle though. The midfield two was outnumbered and their only options were rolling the ball out to the fullbacks or back to the defenders. Suarez or Cavani needed to drop a little deeper and give them an option centrally in front of them. 

Once Uruguay switched to a more direct style it really sparked them to life. Those diagonal calls to the forwards or wingers really created some space and dragged Egypt's defenders out a little. 

Just now, kempus said:

Cavani had a really, really good game. Looked a class above everyone else on the pitch.

Absolutely although I'd say Godin was at a similar level. Cavani blew Suarez out of the water in terms of performances. He hit some great diagonal passes and his linking play was really impressive. His volley and freekick were pure class.

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

Absolutely although I'd say Godin was at a similar level. Cavani blew Suarez out of the water in terms of performances. He hit some great diagonal passes and his linking play was really impressive. His volley and freekick were pure class.

Godin was good, but Egypt are toothless without Salah. They set up for the draw. Cavani could have easily got a goal and an assist.

Just now, kempus said:

Godin was good, but Egypt are toothless without Salah. They set up for the draw. Cavani could have easily got a goal and an assist.

They're usually pretty defensive but they definitely weren't too dangerous until the last ten minutes or so. I thought it was odd that Uruguay didn't press Egypt higher up the field, especially with how hard working Cavani and Suarez are. I know that's not usually the way Uruguay play but I thought it would have been quite effective. 

11 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

They've got plenty of talent there to be honest, at least centrally. I think they havent quite figured out how to play short through the middle though. The midfield two was outnumbered and their only options were rolling the ball out to the fullbacks or back to the defenders. Suarez or Cavani needed to drop a little deeper and give them an option centrally in front of them. 

Once Uruguay switched to a more direct style it really sparked them to life. Those diagonal calls to the forwards or wingers really created some space and dragged Egypt's defenders out a little. 

Talented but inexperienced at this level.

12 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Talented but inexperienced at this level.

Yeah that's fair. They're also playing different types of players than they've played there for better part of a decade so I think it will take some to work that out. Uruguay usually start slow, it will be interesting how they close out the group. 

11 minutes ago, tom cody said:

Thought Egypt played quite good today, better than I thought they would. If Salah comes back for the 2nd game I can see them possibly advancing to the round of 16.

They're definitely my favorites. They were better than I thought theyd be and Russia was made to look a lot better than they are. Salah comes back in the next round and Egypt smashes Russia. 

Archived