2018 FIFA World Cup Group E & Group F

LeeEvans

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Don't leave out Khedira.  He looked like those knee injuries have finally caught up to him.  And Kimmich was out there doing his best Hector Bellerin impression (attack first, overcommit, and defend as about a 3rd or 4th option).

Yup, I meanted earlier that Khedira was dreadful. I dont see how he starts next match. I thought Kimmich was actually pretty good and when he defended he actually was very good against Lozano. I blame the system and lack of recognition that they needed to change. They refused to leave a midfielder back when they pushed both fullbacks forward (which was always). Look at Barca, Busquets always drops but Khedira and Kroos stayed in midfield and then lost possession leaving Hummels and Boateng alone. 

18 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Yup, I meanted earlier that Khedira was dreadful. I dont see how he starts next match. I thought Kimmich was actually pretty good and when he defended he actually was very good against Lozano. I blame the system and lack of recognition that they needed to change. They refused to leave a midfielder back when they pushed both fullbacks forward (which was always). Look at Barca, Busquets always drops but Khedira and Kroos stayed in midfield and then lost possession leaving Hummels and Boateng alone. 

It's a very similar situation.  My bigger fault to Kimmich was more directed at after Khedira came off and the central midfield was Kroos, Ozil, and ??? (Muller more or less dropped into more of a false 9 role, I guess.)  And when Draxler is out there playing like the bad version of Alexis Sanchez and turning the ball over left and right when he isolates on the wing and tries to do everything himself, I'm genuinely surprised they finished with the percentage of completed passes that Germany did.

We probably see Gundogan in Khedira's place against Sweden (Goretzka can spell Kroos very capably), but Rudy wouldn't surprise me either.  Kind of wouldn't be surprised to see Hector reclaim the LB spot from Plattenhardt, too, as MP didn't have a very strong match either or if Brandt gets the nod over Draxler, particularly since Lustig is starting to show vulnerability to pace and energy on that flank.  That said, I could also see Low opting to do the whole "move Ozil out wide again" think and stick him at left wing (at which point you pretty much have to start Hector at LB or play 3 CB's and Rudy as a DM) and run with a midfield of Muller/Gundogan/Kroos).

I do agree about Sane, ultimately though.  I get that Reus was finally fit and you and I have both been big fans of his, but on recent form Sane had the stronger case.

17 minutes ago, The LBC said:

It's a very similar situation.  My bigger fault to Kimmich was more directed at after Khedira came off and the central midfield was Kroos, Ozil, and ??? (Muller more or less dropped into more of a false 9 role, I guess.)  And when Draxler is out there playing like the bad version of Alexis Sanchez and turning the ball over left and right when he isolates on the wing and tries to do everything himself, I'm genuinely surprised they finished with the percentage of completed passes that Germany did.

We probably see Gundogan in Khedira's place against Sweden (Goretzka can spell Kroos very capably), but Rudy wouldn't surprise me either.  Kind of wouldn't be surprised to see Hector reclaim the LB spot from Plattenhardt, too, as MP didn't have a very strong match either or if Brandt gets the nod over Draxler, particularly since Lustig is starting to show vulnerability to pace and energy on that flank.  That said, I could also see Low opting to do the whole "move Ozil out wide again" think and stick him at left wing (at which point you pretty much have to start Hector at LB or play 3 CB's and Rudy as a DM) and run with a midfield of Muller/Gundogan/Kroos).

I do agree about Sane, ultimately though.  I get that Reus was finally fit and you and I have both been big fans of his, but on recent form Sane had the stronger case.

On recent form at club level though. Hes been poor for Germany for a long time. He has not been able to transfer his awesome season at City over to the national team. 

I actually really though Draxler was good. He had several opportunities where he shot when he maybe should have passed but I thought he was one of the few players who went at defenders and showed any sort of ideas or intent. If I had to choose the best player for Germany I think it would probably be him.

It will be interesting to see what Germany do going forward. I think they will tear Korea and Sweden to shreds because they dont offer the same sort of threat but they've got to figure out something for the rest of the tournament.

7 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

There is something about Brazil that I just cannot stand. I will never root for them no matter who they play. I dont hate them but I just am not a fan.

Probably because it seems as if the national team is always loaded and Top 3 nationally.

Mexico may have the worst finishing in this competition ?

Also that number 9 was the worst substitution ever, ruined a 3 vs 2 break and gave the ball away about a million times and set up a German counter.

Hernandez was great for Mexico, he's a midget next to Boateng and Hummels but he is so clever at holding the ball up or drawing the foul.

Very happy for Mexico.

36 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Probably because it seems as if the national team is always loaded and Top 3 nationally.

They are the Cowboys of football. But rather than being "America's team" they are effectively the "World's team".

2 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Shaqiri really doesn't like to track back ? absolute liability

Ha, yeah you're not wrong. Hes also Switzerland's only decent attacking player so they're kinda stuck with him.

Since goal Brazil has been very poor. 

Archived