2018 FIFA World Cup Group G & Group H

LeeEvans

Just now, texans_uk said:

He's just there. I mean why make him captain over Cahill?

Maybe because hes been involved more under Southgate? I honestly dont know. 

The Eric Dier of Euro 2016 seems a long ways away. He's seemed to stagnated quite a bit. He might be a little better next to someone a bit more attack minded and let him just defend.

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

It really hurts me. I loved him after that tournament.

Me too. I hope he can get back to those heights, love his potential. 

I know this game is a completely different set of players but this shows one of my worries for England going forward. The can keep possession but they seem like they might struggle to penetrate teams with a solid defense. 

England are certainly good enough to beat Colombia but I dont think that would have been my preferred option. I'd rather steamroll Japan and then roll the dice against the Brazil. Colombia will give England a match.

41 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

England are certainly good enough to beat Colombia but I dont think that would have been my preferred option. I'd rather steamroll Japan and then roll the dice against the Brazil. Colombia will give England a match.

I think the thinking that Colombia are more desirable opponent than Brazil is unfounded. Sure Brazil is a more "talented" squad, but Colombia is also one of the best teams at the tournament and are capable of beating anyone. 

10 minutes ago, Imarobot said:

I think the thinking that Colombia are more desirable opponent than Brazil is unfounded. Sure Brazil is a more "talented" squad, but Colombia is also one of the best teams at the tournament and are capable of beating anyone. 

I dont know if I'd go quite that far but Colombia are certainly a quality side. Both England and Colombia have questions in defense and can hurt each other. I think England could have some joy against them on corners. 

Midfield should just about be a wash between the sides. I'm not sure if James will be healthy for that match but if he is that front four would scare me a little but. Cuadrado against whoever England trot out at LB could be a match up to watch. 

13 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I dont know if I'd go quite that far but Colombia are certainly a quality side. Both England and Colombia have questions in defense and can hurt each other. I think England could have some joy against them on corners. 

Midfield should just about be a wash between the sides. I'm not sure if James will be healthy for that match but if he is that front four would scare me a little but. Cuadrado against whoever England trot out at LB could be a match up to watch. 

I trust Colombia's defense a hell of a lot more than I trust England. Davinson Sanchez and Yerry Mina miiiiiight be the best CB pairing left in the tournament and I actually like Santiago Arias at right back quite a bit. If James is ready to go then I'm not sure how England is going to deal with him, Quintero, Cuadrado, and a quite in form Falcao. And Uribe and Carlos Sanchez add some grittyness and structure to the midfield. I think they're a more balanced team than people realize. (Ospina's not a bad keeper either)

8 minutes ago, Imarobot said:

Davinson Sanchez and Yerry Mina miiiiiight be the best CB pairing left in the tournament

Not even close. Godin and Giminez are far and away the best.

but I agree Colombia are a dangerous team. Not sure I’d go as far as good as Brazil.

7 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Not even close. Godin and Giminez are far and away the best.

but I agree Colombia are a dangerous team. Not sure I’d go as far as good as Brazil.

I wouldn't go that far either. I just think its strange that people were making it seem like MUCH easier path to the final. Colombia give whoever they're playing a tough time and they have a nice mix of technically brilliant and gritty tough players. 

Also why I said miiiight be the best CB pair left. Godin and Giminez are probably right at the top but I don't think Sanchez and Mina are terribly far behind them. 

Archived