2018 FIFA World Cup Group G & Group H

LeeEvans

I've got Belgium winning group G and England finishing second. I want to believe in England but think the talent of Belgium will be enough to see them win the group.

Group H I'm going to go with Colombia winning the group and Senegal finishing second. I think I had Poland finishing second but Senegal's talent is fantastic. Mane and Balde Keita in attack with Idrissa Gueye and Badou Ndiaye in midfield with Kalidou Koulibaly of Napoli in defense. 

Belgium should be their favorite to win their group and actually consider them one of the biggest favorites in the whole competition.  England will most likely get 2nd.

Have Colombia and Poland advancing out in that order in the final group.

12 minutes ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Belgium should be their favorite to win their group and actually consider them one of the biggest favorites in the whole competition.  England will most likely get 2nd.

Have Colombia and Poland advancing out in that order in the final group.

I really don't get the Belgium hype personally. Yeah they've got great attacking talent but their defense is poor and Yannick Carrasco is quite frankly laughable. Martinez is a poor manager and I haven't seen anything that makes me believe they have improved from Euro 2016 or the last World Cup. They've got great players but they aren't a good team in my opinion. I'd love to have a new winner but I don't think Belgium sniffs the semi-final. 

Colombia should win Group H comfortably and the other spot is definitely open. I like Poland and Lewandowski, Zielinski, Glik, Grosicki are very good players but I'll go with Senegal. I like their attacking players and their midfield duo is absolute quality. 

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I think Belgium are at least one tier down from the favourites, and I would be shocked if they made a SF, let alone win the whole thing

We're thinking similar. Where exactly has Belgium improved from four years ago? I just don't see it. De Bruyne and Hazard are incredible but Martinez and that system just seems like a poor fit for the squad. The defense is a weakness, particularly LB. Axel Witsel will probably start next to De Bruyne and that's laughable. Belgium are a very good side but they aren't the force people think they will be. I could be wrong but I just don't see anything special there. 

13 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

England haven't won an opening tournament game since....er.....2006? Not sure.

I fully expect a torrid time against Tunisia, and stumble to a 1-1 draw. Tunisia aren't easy to break down, by the looks of it.

How dare you doubt Southgate and the Lions! I bet you didn't even wear a poppy....

3 minutes ago, kempus said:

If Belgium actually played Vertonghen and Toby as a CB partnership, they would be the best pair at the world cup.

Edit: Hummels and Boateng is the other pair I would consider.

I've never understood why they dont, especially when Kompany wasn't fit. 

They play three at the back now but still have them either side of Kompany. Having a CB partnership at club level that plays for the national team is a huge bonus, Diego Godin and Jose Gimenez is a really good example. 

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

I've never understood why they dont, especially when Kompany wasn't fit. 

They play three at the back now but still have them either side of Kompany. Having a CB partnership at club level that plays for the national team is a huge bonus, Diego Godin and Jose Gimenez is a really good example. 

It's a massive advantage. Those guys know eachothers games inside out. For CBs, that familiarity with eachother is vital.

Was actually going to mention the Uruguayan duo until I scrolled down and saw I was beaten to it. 

Atletico has the opposite problem to Belgium - for some reason they don't play Gimenez next to Godin anywhere near enough considering how well they compliment each other

Archived