2018 FIFA World Cup Group G & Group H

LeeEvans

17 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

BBC praising Southgates substitutions.

Had we drawn 1-1, guaranteed they would be complaining they were too late, which they were.

I think substitutions themselves were right so I  could see how they could be praised while still being late if that makes sense. 

Pickford - 6 had almost nothing to do, played the sweeper role effectively

Trippier - 8 constant threat going forward and solid defensively

Walker - 6 conceded a soft penalty with a lapse in concentration, couple of squeaky bottom moments

Stones - 7 solid in the centre of the 3, his ability to bring the ball out is wasted in the middle though

Maguire - 7 defensively had a few moments but was one of the few pushing it forward in the second half

Young - 6 often wasteful in possession, very predictable and the weakest of the defenders aside from a couple of nice crosses

Henderson - 7 nice first half with a few probing balls, reverted to type in the second half with a lot of horizontal and backwards passes

Lingard - 7 finishing was appalling, runs were excellent, went missing in the second half

Alli - 5 started brightly but picked up a knock and was a shadow of himself, really missed his link up play in the 2nd half, subbed off too late

Sterling - 6 ball of energy in the first half, running off his man, static and wasteful in the 2nd, subbed off too late

Kane - 8 good target man, poachers finishes when required, not a lot of service in the 2nd half

Loftus-Cheek - 6 not enough game time, immediately linked the defensive 3rd with the front line, probing runs

Rashford - 7 not enough game time, took the game to Tunisians, injected much need pace and impetus

Southgate - 7 tactics looked on point in the first half, second half was devoid of movement or creativity, took far too long to switch out Sterling and Alli who had been ineffective for some time. Still progressive tactics I think the players will grow into.

19 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

I think substitutions themselves were right so I  could see how they could be praised while still being late if that makes sense. 

Every football fan at home was calling for it for at least 15 minutes before, almost cost us, Sterling and Alli were doing nothing, if anything they were actively hindering us with their lack of movement. We were playing with 2 lines with nobody linking the play.

33 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I understand they can't give PKs for every hold on corner kicks because it happens on almost every play, but wow those were really bad. 

I said a couple pages back that I think this is going to be the biggest problem facing VAR at least in terms of consistency. I don't know what the solution is because you're either going to be giving away PKs at a startling rate or you have a bunch of no calls where people complain. I think the Kane calls have to be given because those are blatant beyond any doubt, I would personally suggest that the grabbing type of stuff should be mostly ignored unless FIFA and fans are willing to accept a huge spike in penalties for a while. The Kane tackles and the Mandzukic penalty would have been good calls, whereas the push against Brazil is less clear for me. He's definitely contacted him but it's not a heavy push and Miranda is incredibly out of position, the Swiss player(who's name is escaping me) is standing his ground, I think the push maintains the separation instead of creating it if that makes any sense. 

2 hours ago, texans_uk said:

This wasn't any better

#VARsucks

I've only seen highlights and haven't seen Kane being "speared".  Is this it?  Because if so, all I can say is lol

Harry Kane causes that.  He intentionally gets low so that he can get under the arm across his chest and then holds that arm as he goes to ground

3 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Pickford - 6 had almost nothing to do, played the sweeper role effectively

Trippier - 8 constant threat going forward and solid defensively

Walker - 6 conceded a soft penalty with a lapse in concentration, couple of squeaky bottom moments

Stones - 7 solid in the centre of the 3, his ability to bring the ball out is wasted in the middle though

Maguire - 7 defensively had a few moments but was one of the few pushing it forward in the second half

Young - 6 often wasteful in possession, very predictable and the weakest of the defenders aside from a couple of nice crosses

Henderson - 7 nice first half with a few probing balls, reverted to type in the second half with a lot of horizontal and backwards passes

Lingard - 7 finishing was appalling, runs were excellent, went missing in the second half

Alli - 5 started brightly but picked up a knock and was a shadow of himself, really missed his link up play in the 2nd half, subbed off too late

Sterling - 6 ball of energy in the first half, running off his man, static and wasteful in the 2nd, subbed off too late

Kane - 8 good target man, poachers finishes when required, not a lot of service in the 2nd half

Loftus-Cheek - 6 not enough game time, immediately linked the defensive 3rd with the front line, probing runs

Rashford - 7 not enough game time, took the game to Tunisians, injected much need pace and impetus

Southgate - 7 tactics looked on point in the first half, second half was devoid of movement or creativity, took far too long to switch out Sterling and Alli who had been ineffective for some time. Still progressive tactics I think the players will grow into.

Pretty much agree on all. Kane and Trippier were far and away the best players from the starting XI. Trippier was good defensively and his delivery and constant motoring up and down the wing were brilliant, he provided the width on that side perfect. Kane, even without the goals was great, his runs off the ball and his hold up and ability to provide astounds me every time I watch. He's the perfectly rounded forward. 

I really like Harry Maguire as well. He's a bit of a mad man but he's a good defender and when he gets forward he actually uses the ball very well, just seems like better teams might be able to exploit those wanders forward that he so often goes on. Lingard had one of the strangest matches, if you take away his finishing it was maybe the best English performance on the day but his wastefulness was shocking. 

I thought Ashley Young was the worst player on the pitch for England. Wasn't great defensively and his poor defending led to Tunisia's best chance. He was wasteful in possession and his delivery was poor for him. I think Trippier being so good on the right made him look even worse. 

The subs were brilliant when they came on. Rashford and Loftus-Cheek were dynamic and just offered a whole different dynamic to the rest of the team. Rashford was the best player on the pitch from the point he came on. He constantly ran at defenders, made smart runs in behind and just offered a threat every time he was on the ball. The only negative was that idiotic dummy but he was brilliant and he was so much improved upon Sterling in the second half. Loftus-Cheek was similar but not quite as impactful was still very good. 

I'd give Southgate at least an 8 purely on his celebration for the winning goal. There is something I really like about Southgate and I really hope he succeeds with England. He's straightforward, knows what he wants and I think this England squad has some real potential under him. He's far from perfect but it finally seems like England have something to build on.

I thought the overall performance was actually quite good from England. Tunisia was better than I thought they would be and the first half was brilliant. The first 20-25 minutes was poor from England but I thought the final 20 minutes was also quite good. I mentioned it before but I think snatching the win late could have a really big impact on this group because they were so close to a result that could have set them on the path for "same old England" but this should really give them some confidence and shows some genuine character. 

10 minutes ago, drd23 said:

A quick bit of twitter searching brings this up

That should be a penalty.  The one above definitely shouldn't be

They definitely should both be in my opinion. The defender is completely wrong side of him has his arms around his chest/neck and is forcing him to the ground, that's awful defending and certainly beyond "normal" contact in the penalty area. The one video I quoted is definitely more of a foul but the second is still terrible, I saw something that, I believe, Maguire had a shove earlier during that freekick that could have negated the penalty on Kane but I would have to look at it again. 

Archived