Training Camp 2018 discussion

Danand

40 minutes ago, drd23 said:

If he continues the way he's apparently been going, it'll probably be down to Davis, Kaufusi and him for the last DL spot, and he'll be the one with the most potential of the 3.

I've never been a fan of Kaufusi and Davis doesn't bring anything Pierce doesn't, so I do hope he can win that spot

I agree. My guess is the team loves the Brent Urban - Chris Wormley - Zach Sieler trio at 5tech and wants to inundate them with all the reps they can. 

Only two players were moved around today, Bronson Kaufusi and Carl Davis. All of a sudden we're hearing about Kaufusi at EDGE and Davis floating all over the line. It doesn't bode well for them imo. When they're moving Chuck Clark all around you can tell it's a good thing, but Davis and Kaufusi eeeehhhh....

5T                                            NT                                    3T

Brent Urban                  Brandon Williams            Willie Henry

Chris Wormley             Michael Pierce              *Chris Wormley*

Zach Sieler                                                           *Za'Darius Smith*

*Patrick Ricard*                                          

^^^That's my prediction.  

Carl Davis is a FA after this season. Keeping him on the roster and risking someone like Sieler on the PS or taking snaps away from a young player like Chris Wormley doesn't make sense. He's a good enough player and will be easy to trade, it's a logical step.

All I can go on is what I've heard and read, but I can't wait to see Sieler in action during the HOF game.  

Team Site camp notes- https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/practice-report-7-24-hayden-hurst-returns-to-practice-on-limited-basis

First-round pick Hayden Hurst returned after being sidelined since Friday with a soft-tissue issue. He participated in about half the practice before heading to the locker room with a member of the medical staff.

Head Coach John Harbaugh told reporters that Hurst was following a plan set up by the trainers designed to get him back to full strength as soon as possible.

“He’s doing everything he can do,” Harbaugh said.

Hurst went through all individual drills and offensive install, and then participated in a portion of 11-on-11 drills. He didn’t show any visible hesitations due to an injury, and he made a nice catch in full-team drills where he shrugged off a hit from rookie safety DeShon Elliott. 

Hurst looked to have a good burst in his movement and caught the ball cleanly when he was on the field. The Ravens expect Hurst to be a big piece of the offense this fall, and it’s critical to get him back to full-go as soon as possible.

He will have a day to recover because the Ravens have their first day off from camp tomorrow.

Here are some of the other practice notes:

- Rookie tight end Mark Andrews missed practice again. Harbaugh also said that Andrews is doing everything he can to get back on the field.

- After going through full practices the last two days, quarterback Joe Flacco joined some of the veterans who left the field after individual drills. That gave Lamar Jackson and Robert Griffin III plenty of reps.

- The Ravens had to move practice inside because the rain continued to fall in Owings Mills. It has rained virtually all day the last four days on the entire East Coast, soaking the team’s practice fields.

- Baltimore practiced in full pads and it may have been the most physical practice to date. The Ravens challenged players by putting them in one-on-one situations, including receivers vs. defensive backs and pass rushers vs. offensive linemen. The one-on-one battles between receivers and cornerbacks was one of the most entertaining parts of practice, as the defenders were able to get physical with the receivers at the line of scrimmage.

- Cornerback Marlon Humphrey came up with an interception on Jackson during the start of full-team drills. The pass was intended for receiver Willie Snead, but Marlon dove in front to make the interception. The second-year defender is having a great start to camp and looks ready to build off his strong rookie campaign.

- Wide receiver Chris Moore had a handful of nice grabs on the day. He made a leaping sideline catch where he managed to keep his feet in bounds for the catch. He later pulled down a touchdown in seven-on-seven drills. Moore is fighting for playing time amongst the new-look receiving corps, and he’s carried his strong offseason into training camp.

- Wide receiver Janarion Grant caught a touchdown from Jackson over the middle late in practice, and then he capped off the score with an equally impressive standing backflip. Grant will be someone to watch closely in the preseason if he continues to make plays on the practice field.

Beatdown's Camp Noteshttps://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2018/7/24/17608940/ravens-training-camp-highlights-lowlights-7-24-18-anthony-averett-tavon-young-willie-snead

Player of the day: Chris Board

During the secondary vs. receivers drills, undrafted free agent linebacker Chris Board intercepted a pass and took it thirty yards for a defensive touchdown. Nothing like a big play to keep your name in the coaches heads.

The Ravens ran one-on-one drills today which is always exciting. From my notes:

• Anthony Averett broke up a pass intended for Breshad Perriman. The ball arrived late, but Averett was tight in coverage on this play regardless of the timing.
  • Jordan Lasley caught a deep pass for a touchdown against Darious Williams.
  • Kenny Young had a strong play against Javorius Allen, but on the next play was spun around by Alex Collins. Like I’ve said the past few days, Collins’ footwork is next level.
  • Anthony Averett successfully defended Jaelon Acklin.
  • Tavon Young broke up a pass against Willie Snead. During this play, Young was glued to Willie’s hip. Thoroughly impressed with his coverage.
  • Jordan Lasley catches another pass against Darious Williams.
  • Breshad Perriman turns Anthony Averett around on a double-move. Breshad went inside on his release, broke inside tighter, then cut hard back outside. Averett went for leverage right when Perriman cut and Averett was beat.

During 11-man drills, the series began with Lamar Jackson throwing a low ball. Marlon Humphrey dove and caught it before the football hit the turf. The next two plays were dropped passes by Chris Moore and Vince Mayle. Lamar struggled with overthrown passes during these drills on multiple occasions. He also hit his targets, and some were dropped as mentioned above.

John Brown and Nick Keizer both dropped a pass in the catching drills without defense. After Brown’s drop, Marty Mornhinweg spoke with him for a bit. My notes don’t have Joe Flacco being mentioned, but I have two overthrows marked for Jackson. Keizer suffered on these drills as he dropped one and then was overthrown by Jackson on the follow-up.

4 pressers today were Carl Davis, Ronnie StanleyJimmy Smith, and John Harbaugh

Carl Davis: On if interior pass rush is being stressed to the DL group- "The Interior pass rush is being heavily stressed"   "We're doing a ton of one on ones focusing on interior pass rush, we're going home and talking about interior pass rush, and we're watching tape on guys from other teams that are good inside pass rushers".

When asked about the competition along the DL Davis seemed far from confident in his body language and tone, and his "So we'll see" comment about it all really makes me think he understands the coming situation. 

Ronnie Stanley: On his trip to Russia for the World Cup- "Romelu Lukaku and Jérôme Boateng are good friends of mine so I went over there to support them". 

I didn't know the above, that's kind of funny. Ronnie also talked about the different assumptions he has to make when blocking for Lamar versus Flacco. Like if he sees a lineman start moving left with intent, and Lamar is under center, he needs to assume Jackson is scrambling and stay on the man. Where as with Flacco he can let the lineman wash himself out of the play. 

Jimmy Smith: On how quickly he can return to a Pro Bowl level- "As soon as possible, I don't feel any setback or anything holding me back". On his PED suspension from last year- "It was a pre workout supplement, I don't even know which one". "One year something will be legal, and the next it won't be". "So you just have to do your due diligence". "It's just a matter of watching what you put in your body". "I would never purposely take a PED or a steroid or anything like that, I don't need it". 

Jimmy sounds completely sincere in regards to his PED issue. I don't believe in any way he took something on purpose, but it did seem like he was letting himself off the hook for being careless. He was just a little too aloof about it all for my taste. You want to hear the concrete steps he's putting in place to ensure it doesn't happen again an we didn't get that. Let's hope he stays on top of things.

We don't have anything to worry about with his injury either, well the Achilles injury at least. He said he feels nothing from the Achilles injury and doesn't even think about it. If anything it's the Lisfranc injury that's had lasting effects, but he's fine and wants to put down a healthy 16 for the first time in a while.

John Harbaugh: On making the playoffs- "That's not the goal, that's the starting point". "We want to win it all, the playoffs are just a starting point". On the benefit of having talented depth at corner- "What's the defense been like for 10 years, 20 years here?" "You know how we want to play defense". "Sure we can protect our corners with stuff like Cover 2 and we have done that, but talented depth at corner gives us freedom".  

It's good Harbaugh is stressing that this is a team that should contend not merely just enter the tourney. The "Don't fear the Lion" shirts are cringey imo, but Harbaugh's methods have proven to be very effective. This is very much a team that seems like it just went on a playoff run and is expecting to be in the Super Bowl. Which is incredible considering how we started last season off, not to mention how we finished it. The vibe to start last season was so different than this one. This team's optimism seems genuine and above all else justified. 

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

- Baltimore practiced in full pads and it may have been the most physical practice to date.

inb4 the Ravens lose more practices for CBA violations about too much contact again

32 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Ronnie Stanley: On his trip to Russia for the World Cup- "Romelu Lukaku and Jérôme Boateng are good friends of mine so I went over there to support them". 

I didn't know the above, that's kind of funny.

That's random.  How did Stanley become good friends with those two?

8 minutes ago, drd23 said:

That's random.  How did Stanley become good friends with those two?

“I can’t wait,” Stanley said. “I’m a huge soccer fan. I always wanted to make it to a European soccer game and now I get to go to the World Cup. It’s pretty awesome.”

Stanley got the World Cup hookup through his agency, Roc Nation. He’s getting an all-expenses-paid trip to Russia to watch the games with their marketing director.

Roc Nation also represents Germany defender Jérôme Boateng (Bayern Munich), who has become a friend of Stanley’s, and recently signed Belgium striker Romelu Lukaku (Manchester United). Stanley’s personally rooting for Germany.

“I like Germany; I think they’re going to do well,” Stanley said. “I have a friend on Germany, so I’m kind of biased toward them. I think Brazil looks really nice as well.”

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/the-caw-ravens-ronnie-stanley-is-going-to-the-world-cup-in-russia

Looks like his agency established the connection. It's always a little weird when footballers are linked to American Football players. I was really surprised when I read Harry Kane named his two dogs after Russell Wilson and Tom Brady.

I could see the appeal of the game to them, obviously from a pure entertainment perspective, but specifically as an analogous to the World Cup. An NFL season is like one big super tournament, and the stakes are incredible. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

I could see the appeal of the game to them, obviously from a pure entertainment perspective, but specifically as an analogous to the World Cup. An NFL season is like one big super tournament, and the stakes are incredible. 

As much as I like the NFL, there is no way that a season is anything like the World Cup in stakes or anything else

It's safe to say we are entering a ramp up period with our 1st game next Thursday. Today's physicality I'm sure was just a taste. Afterwards Harbaugh took all the guys out to see the new Mission Impossible(which I'm sure was quite a sight) and they have the day off tomorrow. Harbaugh also said they installed some new plays today, so Lamar really is getting more and more put on his back. It will be great to see how he responds. 

I don't even know if Roquan Smith is signed yet or if they'd even let him play, but either way I don't see anyone giving Lamar any fits. In fact I'm wondering if the team will tell Lamar to gear it down a bit with his running.

Q&A with Kyle Barber from Beatdown who has been at every practice-

Note: I don't believe the folks at Baltimore Beatdown, especially Kyle, have great football minds. So don't expect this dude to have picked up on all the nuances of player's games, technical improvements, or even non flashy successes during practice. However, there is value in seeing what jumps out easily at someone who isn't just some Regular Joe fan. Like whose ability is just plain to see in practice, so much so that it makes an impact on a deeper team enthusiast?  

Q: Who have been the top 3 players in camp? A: Anthony Averett, Joe Flacco, Michael Crabtree.

Q: How has Lamar looked overall in camp? A: Like a Rookie. Good throws followed up with bad throws.

Q: Out of all our draft picks, who has performed the best?(BG) A:  Anthony Averett, Kenny Young, Jordan Lasley. Can't judge Orlando Brown Jr. or Sieler due to lack of padded practices. Both Hurst and Andrews are absent so I can't say much about them.

Q: How have Bowser and Tim Williams looked in year 2? A: Bowser's looked solid. I like his range and jamming tight ends off the line. Haven't seen much from Williams. That might just be from the difficulty of 'scouting' 90 players.

(He thinks the guy is asking him about Tim White at first) Q: Where is Tim Williams and can you give us a Jordan Lasley update? A: Tim is making plays and fighting to be on the roster. Good stuff thus far. Jordan Lasley has done well with the reps he's been given. Scored a scorching touchdown in 1v1 drills yesterday.

Mike Preston's observations from Monday and Tuesday's practice- http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-ravens-camp-observations-20180723-story.html  http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-tuesday-20180724-story.html

Monday-

Breaking away

"Joe Flacco and Lamar Jackson have clearly separated themselves from fellow quarterbacks Robert Griffin III and Josh Woodrum".

"Griffin still looks like a player shaking off some rust. He’s had some problems taking snaps from under center, even though he recovers quickly".

A run at the job

"Alex Collins is the Ravens’ starting running back, but Kenneth Dixon lets you know he’s around, waiting in the wings. He broke off a 20- to 25-yard touchdown run during 11-on-11 action Monday by bouncing outside and down the left sideline".

"Collins, though, hauled in a 30-yard pass when he beat rookie linebacker Kenny Young on a circle route down the left sideline. The Ravens want Collins to be more of a threat as a receiver out of the backfield this season".

"Now he just has to learn how to pass-block better ...".

^^^^^I've been waiting for some positive observations about Kenneth Dixon. I'm very worried he's a legit steroid dependent player. Also he just didn't look in shape to me from the camp photos I saw. Hope I'm wrong, and he continues to perform.

Ack attack

"Jaelon Acklin, an undrafted free agent from Western Illinois, made a heck of a catch after beating cornerback Tavon Young one-on-one in the back of the left end zone".

"Acklin dove to make the catch even while Young interfered with him".

Can't wait to see what Jaelon's about in games.

Hungry Henry

"Third-year defensive tackle Willie Henry came on at the end of last season and has continued his progress through training camp. He came back a little heavier but still is relentless in pursuit of the ball carrier".

Tuesday-

Tough enough?

"Top pick and rookie tight end Hayden Hurst made it to practice Tuesday without the help of a GPS system. He looked good and caught everything during the time he was out there but left practice early in what seemed to be a precautionary measure because of a recurring “soft tissue” injury".

"I really liked what coach John Harbaugh said Monday when he chided Hurst and players coming out of college about being tougher. It’s true. They are the soft generation and I see it all the time in high school athletes".

"While Hurst and fellow rookie tight Mark Andrews, taken in the third round, have missed extensive practice time, Maxx Williams and Nick Boyle have played well with the extra repetitions".

"Both have bulked during the off season. So far, Williams has been a better blocker and Boyle has shown softer hands".

Hayden Hurst catching everything isn't a surprise, but Preston's praise of Maxx Williams is. I've seen consistent negative observations about him, the most positive being "He's catching the hard stuff, but dropping the easy stuff". That was from Harbaugh, when asked about Maxx dropping a wide open touchdown. So this take is interesting.

No QB controversy here

"It was not a good day for rookie quarterback Lamar Jackson. He was way off target in the first three quarters of practice but got better in the remaining time. It’s really no big deal. All rookies have up and down days and he still has shown progress from the offseason training activities".

"The national media, though, needs to stop making it seem as if Jackson is competing with Joe Flacco for the starting job". I"t’s not even close, folks". "There is no competition". "None".

"Flacco is the man".

Wow, seems like Preston is over the national coverage of our QB situation and their sheer ignorance regarding it. It's kind of weird for him to be bothered by needy, blowhard, dopey pundits.

No small feat

"Anthony Averett, the rookie cornerback and fourth-round pick out of Alabama, appears to have a nose for the ball". "He breaks on the ball well and usually knocks down a couple of passes a day".

"He is a little small at 5-11 and 178 pounds, but seems to play with a lot of intensity".

Averett's level of play isn't getting by anybody. If he's as talented as he appears...the future of this club isn't just bright, it's blinding. Elite depth at corner will keep the floor of this franchise at incredible heights. 

Mosley needs a mate

"The Ravens wanted to have some serious competition at the other inside linebacker position to complement middle linebacker C.J. Mosley, but right now it appears that Patrick Onwuasor will be there again".

"Onwuasor isn’t very physical, but he does flow to the ball well. He just needs to play smarter and react quicker. Having a linebacker who can cover a running back out of the backfield will be a problem for the Ravens this season".

All we can do is hope Mosley plays better this year.

Archived