TCMD - Forum Wide GM Mock Draft Discussion

ny92mike

9 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

For the contracts and timeline for everything i don't see anything too crazy but i think it will be more clear with real dates in it.

Agreed.  

Right now everything is just random events.  The schedule does put things into focus.  

Projected Schedule

I currently have the FA Bidding rounds taking place every 3rd day.  The entire mock draft is scheduled to last 40 days. Which seems a little long to me, but trimming the FA rounds down to every 2nd day would allow us to shave about 12 days off, bringing the total time frame to about 28 days.  

giphy.gif

• Phase I

• Deadline to Sign Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ERFA) - Saturday, Feb 16th @ 11:00 PM

• Deadline to Designate Tender Compensation - Saturday, Feb 16th @ 11:00 PM

• Deadline to issue Franchise/Transition Tag - Saturday, Feb 16th @ 11:00 PM

• Round 1 Free Agent Bidding

• Deadline to have contracts created - Monday, Feb 18th @ 8:00 PM

• FA Bidding Results Announced - Monday, Feb 18th @ 9:00 PM
      Note:  1st round announcement may exceed 9pm.

• Phase II

• Deadline to rescind a franchise tag.

• Tender Offer Sheet Contract Negotiations.

• New team deadline to have offer sheet completed - Tuesday, Feb 19th @ 8:00 PM

• Old team deadline to match or decline offer sheet - Wednesday, Feb 20th @ 8:00 PM

• Workbooks are Updated by - Thursday, Feb 21st @ 12:00 AM

• Exclusive Franchise Tagged players will accept long term deals.

• Round 2 Free Agent Bidding - 10% APY decrease

• Deadline to have contracts created - Thursday, Feb 21st @ 8:00 PM

• FA Bidding Results Announced - Thursday, Feb 21st @ 8:00 PM

• Phase III

• Tagged and tendered players can be included in the trade block under the following rules.

• If the player did not receive an offer sheet from another team.

• If you matched an offer sheet to retain the player during phase II, you cannot attempt to trade the player at a later date.

• If you extend the contract of a tagged player, you cannot trade the player.

• Deadline to find a trading partner - Thursday, Mar 7th @ 10:00 AM

• You have up to the start of the Draft to negotiate a trade.

• Extending long term deals to the remaining franchise/transition tagged players.

• Remember, tagged and tendered player contracts are fully guaranteed and cannot be released.

• Round 3 Free Agent Bidding - 20% APY decrease

• Deadline to have contracts created - Sunday, Feb 24th @ 8:00 PM

• FA Bidding Results Announced - Sunday, Feb 24th @ 8:00 PM

• Discussion

• Round 4 Free Agent Bidding - 30% APY decrease
    • Deadline to have contracts created - Wednesday, Feb 27th  @ 8:00 PM

• FA Bidding Results Announced - Wednesday, Feb 27th @ 8:00 PM

• Round 5 Free Agent Bidding - 40% APY decrease

• Deadline to have contracts created - Sunday, Mar 3rd @ 8:00 PM

• FA Bidding Results Announced - Sunday, Mar 3rd @ 9:00 PM

• Round 6 Free Agent Bidding - 50% APY decrease

• Deadline to have contracts created - Wednesday, Mar 6th @ 8:00 PM

• FA Bidding Results Announced - Wednesday, Mar 6th @ 9:00 PM

• Discussion

• NFL Draft Start Date and Times

• Franchised Tagged players must be removed from trade block.

• NFL Draft starts Thursday, Mar 7th @ 10:00 AM.

• 40 minutes per pick is allotted for all 7 rounds.

• Draft concludes Wednesday, Mar 20th @ 4:00 PM.

• Round 7 Free Agent Bidding - 60% APY decrease

• Deadline to have contracts created - Saturday, Mar 9th @ 8:00 PM

• FA Bidding Results Announced - Saturday, Mar 9th @ 9:00 PM

• Round 8 Free Agent Bidding - Vet Min APY

• Deadline to have contracts created - Tuesday, Mar 12th @ 8:00 PM

• FA Bidding Results Announced - Tuesday, Mar 12th @ 9:00 PM

• Round 9 Free Agent Bidding - Vet Min APY

• Deadline to have contracts created - Friday, Mar 15th @ 8:00 PM

• FA Bidding Results Announced - Friday, Mar 15th @ 8:00 PM

• Discussion

• Round 10 Free Agent Bidding - Vet Min APY

• Deadline to have contracts created - Monday, Mar 18th @ 8:00 PM

• FA Bidding Results Announced - Monday, Mar 18th @ 8:00 PM

• Round 11 Free Agent Bidding - Vet Min APY

• Deadline to have contracts created - Thursday, Mar 21st @ 8:00PM

• FA Bidding Results Announced - Thursday, Mar 21st @ 9:00 PM

• Round 12 Free Agent Bidding - Vet Min APY

• Deadline to have contracts created - Sunday, Mar 24th @ 8:00 PM

• FA Bidding Results Announced - Sunday, Mar 24th @ 9:00 PM

• Discussion

• Additional Rounds if Required

• Phase IV

• UDFA will start immediately following the final pick of the draft.  

• Will run for 3 days.

• Phase V

• TCMD General Manager/Head Coaching Awards and Group Development Discussion.

I think it's more realistic to keep the old rule of simply banning tag and trades.  The NFLPA frowns on impediments to the free movement of players and tags applied without the intention of keeping the player. That's why they and the NFL management council each have an independent right to veto proposed trades. In the Landry example, it obviously didn't happen. The NFLPA probably put his wishes first. But in theory players could be tagged and traded without their consent in which case the union would block it. 

So if we need a general rule, the ban is more realistic than allowing GMs to do whatever they want.

24 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I think it's more realistic to keep the old rule of simply banning tag and trades.  The NFLPA frowns on impediments to the free movement of players and tags applied without the intention of keeping the player. That's why they and the NFL management council each have an independent right to veto proposed trades. In the Landry example, it obviously didn't happen. The NFLPA probably put his wishes first. But in theory players could be tagged and traded without their consent in which case the union would block it. 

So if we need a general rule, the ban is more realistic than allowing GMs to do whatever they want.

For this forum wide mock, I'm willing to give the tag & trade a go, and I'll use the action of this mock to determine if we include it in the individual GM mock.  I'm obviously not a fan of it myself, for the same reasons you voiced.  It's such a rare event irl that I'm hopeful that the scheduling structure and restrictions below dampen the abuse of it and its just as rare of a transaction in this mock as it is in real life.  

For a team to attempt to tag & trade

• The team would be required to carry the tag amount past the first two rounds of fa bidding. 
    • Making it difficult to offer lucrative contracts.
    • Other teams would be less likely to hold onto cap during the first two rounds. 
  • Not allowed to extend the contract to free up cap prior to trading the player
  • If the old team matches the new teams offer sheet, the player cannot be traded at a later date.
  • Can only place the tagged or tendered player on the block between fa bidding rounds 3 and 6.
  • If they can't find a trading partner, they can't release the player as the tag or tender amount is fully guaranteed.

Now, I know that some of the guys will attempt it but I think with the tight restrictions in place it "shouldn't" get out of control.  If it does, we won't see it back next year.

45 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I think the main fix needed for TCMD is the contract acceptance criteria. The 200 million dollar deal of Nate Solder made that clear.

Yes and it is already fixed.

I rebuilt all the workbooks for this last mock and there were some oversights on my part during the building process that allowed the massive contract to even be approved.  Prior workbooks wouldn't have allowed this.  We tossed up a quick patch to fix it while the mock was running, but @MKnight82 figured out a fix long term.

btw, appreciate the feedback.  Keep it coming.

I'm really wanting this to take off so that the entire forum has something to look forward to during the off season.  It's gonna take all of us to do it and you were a huge help in designing the TCMD model.

With only needing to be concerned with single season contract, I've created what I think is a pretty simple workbook designed to create these contracts.

The workbook is cell protected with the exception of the light colored blue cells as those are the only cells needed to create the contract.

Unprotected Cells

Select Bid Type - Type UFA or Resign

Position -  Select the position you want the player list to populate, a position must be entered.

Drop Down to Player List - Use the drop down to view the available UFA or Resign list of players.

Enter Bid Amount - type the amount you want to offer.

I'm also planning on putting some important league information that will show how many teams are actively bidding on players, how many contracts are pending and the league overall average spending.  We can discuss this in more detail as what to provide and not provide during blind bidding.

The team salary cap information will be set up as well but for this sample workbook, it is a fixed number.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fMOVC38ElZWxFsEWHabPwNg078rzTnUKa4JsqEhSLcs/edit?usp=sharing

This is really to get your take on the simplicity of using this workbook for bidding or if we need to dumb it down some more.

9 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Am I reading it right that a team with 2.5 mil in cap space can offer contracts bigger than that?  Are they now allowed/required to adjust their salary cap after seeing the results of the bids?

You referring to the sample workbook?  If so, that workbook was more to show how the ease of creating a contract.  The salary cap restrictions were fixed as "valid" just so it would pass.  

Once I link the salary caps with actual numbers, teams would not be able to offer more than what they have.

20 hours ago, ny92mike said:

I updated the sample workbook, so that it does account for the salary cap.  It is now set up so that as you create the contract the calculations includes the pending fa contracts into the top 51, giving you an exact number of what you cap would be if you landed all 4 contracts.  

This allows restricts you from potentially bidding over your available funds, and in theory keeping the massive contracts to a limit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fMOVC38ElZWxFsEWHabPwNg078rzTnUKa4JsqEhSLcs/edit?usp=sharing

Added another sheet for UFA Scouting.  It's a pretty basic setup, that once the players have been scouted you can change the bid type to "Scouted" in the "Free Agency Bidding" sheet and it will display just those names.

If you guys can think of a better design for this let me know.

Archived