Jump to content
Kiwibrown

Special teams Preview

Does either or both of last years k/p duo get cut?  

15 members have voted

  1. 1. Does either of last years k/p duo get cut?

    • Conlquett
    • Gonzalez
    • eh
    • I want to watch football dammit
  2. 2. Our Return Game has been poor for a few seasons, does this bother you?

  3. 3. Special Teams is an important legitimate part of football.



Recommended Posts

On 8/10/2018 at 5:21 PM, CBrownsman said:

I know special teams is part of the game and we need to be successful at it, but was anyone else scared when they saw Ndjoku making plays on punt coverage?  He looked great but it certainly worries me about possible injuries...

Also I was at the game and having hard time reading players numbers but I thought I saw Vogel with an INCREDIBLY pretty kick.  Looked like he got it 60 yards in the air.  Not saying make a change just liked what I saw from him...

Nah I was good with it because he's been dropping a ton of balls in practice and didn't have a great rookie season either.  I liked that we kept him in longer than the rest of the starters too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally have always thought of making the Special Teams Coach a MUCH bigger part of the staff. It can make plays that change the outcome of games. And I feel like it is one of the STRONGEST development entities on a NFL team. I always wanted to Hire a Big name college coach someone like Art Briles (a good BIG NAME coach who's had some issues), a Charlie Strong or a Jim Tresssel, maybe even an Urban Myer is OSU looses their minds. Let him take his own OC and DC and make them "Kick Coverage Coordinator" or some such thing, and let them completely make special teams their world...imagine the type of returns that Myer or Briles could come up with if that was all they were doing. All are great teachers of detail on the football field. And they are also use to dealing with college players/younger players...and that is what usually makes up most of the Special teams.....IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Nah I was good with it because he's been dropping a ton of balls in practice and didn't have a great rookie season either.  I liked that we kept him in longer than the rest of the starters too.

I guess that's true.  My recent memory of this last game and my hope for what he becomes has blinded me to Ndjoku's hands last year :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Nah I was good with it because he's been dropping a ton of balls in practice and didn't have a great rookie season either.  I liked that we kept him in longer than the rest of the starters too.

Really?

I mean, he set the franchise rookie record for TD’s at his position, so while it may not have been “great” it seemed pretty decent to me.

Dude is barely 22 still and was arguably our best downfield receiver last year.  He also blocked well the second half of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Really?

I mean, he set the franchise rookie record for TD’s at his position, so while it may not have been “great” it seemed pretty decent to me.

Dude is barely 22 still and was arguably our best downfield receiver last year.  He also blocked well the second half of the year.

I don't disagree with that I just don't think he's beyond taking some pre-season ST reps, not many guys on our team are.  Plus he looked good on ST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

I don't disagree with that I just don't think he's beyond taking some pre-season ST reps, not many guys on our team are.  Plus he looked good on ST.

I think he is, personally.

He’s our starting TE and huge part of our passing game with his ability to exploit matchups.

I don’t see any benefits to him playing ST.  That’s what backups are for, not starters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think he is, personally.

He’s our starting TE and huge part of our passing game with his ability to exploit matchups.

I don’t see any benefits to him playing ST.  That’s what backups are for, not starters.

He pretty much got to walk into that role last year and did a decent job.  I think it sends good message to him that he has work to make the team like everybody else.  I think it sends a message to everybody trying to make the team as coverage guys that there is a high standard for that spot on the roster.  Especially since he flew down the field and immediately made a great tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×