Training Camp Thread

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Our RBs are cursed this year! Hopefully everything checks out okay for McKinnon.

I suppose on the bright side, we really wouldn't lose much in the run game if it's the worst possible scenario. The passing game is a bit of a different story. Breida struggled a bit in the pass game last year, but I think it's something that he can grow into. It's just not something that they incorporate at Georgia Southern, so it's a bit foreign. But I don't think he was a unnatural catching the football. Williams was never known as being a decent option in the passing game (in protection or as a receiver). Maybe the person to watch for if it's something serious is McNichols. He's a legitimate natural pass catching back and it's one of his strengths . I always thought his profile would gel well with Shanny's scheme, though obviously it doesn't seem like the staff has been super high on him thus far, relegating him to the back of the preseason rotation for the most part. 

All these injuries got me to thinking, if you had to rank from 1-5 the players we can least afford to lose on the offensive side of the ball, what would it be (Minus Jimmy G)? For me:

1. Staley

2. Goodwin

3. Kittle

4. Richburg

5. Juice Check

I went with Juice Check over the RBs, because I feel like we can get by if we lose Breida for some time or lose McKinnon for some time. But Juice Check is our only true FB and is a big part of our passing game. Or at least part of the passing game and a threat out of the backfield. Staley is our best offensive player aside from Jimmy G so that speaks for itself. Goodwin is our #1 WR, and more importantly the one guy that threatens the defense deep every single play. Kittle is our biggest mismatch I feel, and C is an extremely important position for Shanny's offense and Richburg is also our second best OL. 

Just offense, yeah I agree with your first two, and it's a solid list overall. I would probably have McKinnon on that list. I think his fat contract puts people off, but he really is by far the best RB on the roster. He didn't get any chance to show it so far for SF. 

OL help needed. 

1. Staley

2. Goodwin

3. Richburg

4. McGlinchey (I'm cheating a bit here...I'm assuming that if McG goes down, Gilliam gets hurt about 4 plays later and then we are chilling with Mags at RT again. I don't trust Gilliam to get through eating a ham sandwich without getting banged up)

5. Kittle 

#5 was tough. I get the merit for adding Juice Check here, but it's not in my psyche to ever put a fullback this high on an importance / value ranking. Celek is a competent #2, but he's a really bad #1 and he doesn't offer nearly the entire skillset that Kittle does. Garcon isn't as important to me because I think what he does can be overcome by several of the backups. 

27 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Just offense, yeah I agree with your first two, and it's a solid list overall. I would probably have McKinnon on that list. I think his fat contract puts people off, but he really is by far the best RB on the roster. He didn't get any chance to show it so far for SF. 

OL help needed. 

McKinnon will be a big factor in the receiving game, it's just that I think Breida plus McNichols or Williams or Mostert could hold it down for the time he misses. And same for if Breida misses action.

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

1. Staley

2. Goodwin

3. Richburg

4. McGlinchey (I'm cheating a bit here...I'm assuming that if McG goes down, Gilliam gets hurt about 4 plays later and then we are chilling with Mags at RT again. I don't trust Gilliam to get through eating a ham sandwich without getting banged up)

5. Kittle 

#5 was tough. I get the merit for adding Juice Check here, but it's not in my psyche to ever put a fullback this high on an importance / value ranking. Celek is a competent #2, but he's a really bad #1 and he doesn't offer nearly the entire skillset that Kittle does. Garcon isn't as important to me because I think what he does can be overcome by several of the backups. 

I wanted to go McGlinchey as well, but I don't think he will be that great in pass protection in his rookie year and someone like Gilliam while a downgrade, could be an okay replacement. But certainly McGlinchey is in the mix of being a top 5 important offensive player on the team. 

FB in most cases wouldn't be that important, but we use Juice Check over 40% of the snaps so he is a big part of the offense. And that number jumped to almost 53% once Garoppolo took over and when we were no longer playing from behind the entire game. Shanny said having a FB out there is so important due to the fact it forces the defense to put an extra guy in the box to account for Juice Check, and then he could also catch it out of the backfield. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is the type of injury report you see like in week 8 or week 9, but here we are in just third week of camp where half the starters are injured LOL.

Bodes really well for the regular season lol

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Bodes really well for the regular season lol

For one, seems like we are getting fairly lucky that none of these injuries are serious and have regular season implications. All the players injured should return for week 1. 

So has @y2lamanaki done the research yet on if more injuries are happening now after the CBA has prevented a heavy practice load on the players, or there were more injuries in the past??

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

For one, seems like we are getting fairly lucky that none of these injuries are serious and have regular season implications. All the players injured should return for week 1. 

So has @y2lamanaki done the research yet on if more injuries are happening now after the CBA has prevented a heavy practice load on the players, or there were more injuries in the past??

Also, has @y2lamanaki done the research on whether teams with training and medical staffs that don't know about injured shoulders on draft prospects suffer more injuries than teams with training and medical staffs who don't miss that stuff? 

Archived