Steelers re-sign WR Eli Rogers

SteelKing728

16 hours ago, OleXmad said:

Why not just tender him since he was a RFA...?

He tore his ACL and they waited to attempt to sign until he was healthy. No commitment until a guy who is, at best, a 4th receiver is healthy is  a pretty smart move. 

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

He tore his ACL and they waited to attempt to sign until he was healthy. No commitment until a guy who is, at best, a 4th receiver is healthy is  a pretty smart move. 

Wow, barely removed from being a significant upgrade over Markus Wheaton and the answer to the Steelers question at slot receiver, now he's a best a 4th receiver?   How the mighty have fallen.   :D

1 minute ago, Crickett said:

Wow, barely removed from being a significant upgrade over Markus Wheaton and the answer to the Steelers question at slot receiver, now he's a best a 4th receiver?   How the mighty have fallen.   :D

???

I, honestly, have no clue what you are talking about. 

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I mean...they could've just tendered him at the original level. I get why they didn't but it's weird given they just ended up re-signing him. 

1 hour ago, OleXmad said:

I mean...they could've just tendered him at the original level. I get why they didn't but it's weird given they just ended up re-signing him. 

Tendering him wouldn't have done much of anything as he was an UDFA - so no compensation goes back to them if someone decides to take him, but him signing the tender would have paid him regardless of health. 

I understand where you are coming from in regards to team control, but I dont think they would have been overly upset to lose him. Tendering him and then having him not being medically ready to play or deemed an inefficient player would have still forced them to pay him. Waiting to confirm health was the best scenario. 

18 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Tendering him wouldn't have done much of anything as he was an UDFA - so no compensation goes back to them if someone decides to take him, but him signing the tender would have paid him regardless of health. 

I understand where you are coming from in regards to team control, but I dont think they would have been overly upset to lose him. Tendering him and then having him not being medically ready to play or deemed an inefficient player would have still forced them to pay him. Waiting to confirm health was the best scenario. 

I mean I guess but given the status of the steelers WR corps (Brown and just a bunch of medicore players, we'll see about the young guys) and Rogers was a reliable slot guy figured it would've been worth the minimum tender. Oh well who am I to question the steelers treatment of backup WRs. 

2 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

I mean I guess but given the status of the steelers WR corps (Brown and just a bunch of medicore players, we'll see about the young guys) and Rogers was a reliable slot guy figured it would've been worth the minimum tender. Oh well who am I to question the steelers treatment of backup WRs. 

I dont know if JuJu really counts as a mediocre player, but to each their own. The Steelers still have some fantastic success in drafts recently finding NFL quality receivers and just took 2 guys in the last two drafts in the second round with AB already on board. Rogers is an okay and reliable slot receiver, but there is nothing special about him and is, at best, a 4th receiver for the Steelers. Coming off an ACL injury, I am not sure why you would commit to that type of a player if you dont know he is fully healthy. 

17 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I dont know if JuJu really counts as a mediocre player, but to each their own. The Steelers still have some fantastic success in drafts recently finding NFL quality receivers and just took 2 guys in the last two drafts in the second round with AB already on board. Rogers is an okay and reliable slot receiver, but there is nothing special about him and is, at best, a 4th receiver for the Steelers. Coming off an ACL injury, I am not sure why you would commit to that type of a player if you dont know he is fully healthy. 

Him and the other receivers drafted fall in line with the younger guys we'll have to see, he looks promising but so did Bryant. 

I know and it pains me knowing they're so good at it...

So he can rehab at the team facility and get medical coverage by the team, I mean if he sucks/ isn't healthy it's like 1.3 million so eh. 

4 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

I mean if he sucks/ isn't healthy it's like 1.3 million so eh

1.3M for a team that is always tight on cap space and was trying to work a bigger deal with LeVeon Bell isnt really, eh, if he doesn't pan out. I'd also argue that its much more motivating for a player to go through rehab when you don't have that paying job and are rather trying to earn it. 

Its all opinion, but I wouldn't have taken the financial risk either on a guy you wouldn't generally miss at a position you are good at replacing (and technically already did replace). He wasn't going to knock anyone's socks off or get anything over a minimum elsewhere so he would always have a Pittsburgh home to fall back into familiarity. I just think the risk of losing him vs the "reward" of getting him back cheap and confirmed healthy was worth it. 

Archived