NBA 2K19

showtime

I've been playing the prelude and finished it.  The story in this game sucks and always does, but I don't care about that.  For the first time ever, I'm interested in making a player and playing with him online - thus, I will be really invested in this mode.  I have a few things to say.

1.  The on-ball defense has been improved... maybe.  There's still a little bit of the 'ice hockey' when trying to move laterally and that's really scary for me when it comes to playing against people online.  Against the CPU, I was able to body up and stay in front of the ball-handler really well. It's really hard to tell how much something has been improved until you play against real users online.

2.  2K has released guides pretty much on how to be a great ball-handler, dunker, etc.  I don't ever remember them doing this in the past, but they have come out and told everyone which build to make if you want to make a certain type of player.  Also, in the retail game, it will show you your potential ratings, which I'm sure has never been in a 2K game before.  That's really interesting and probably more helpful than anything.

My biggest concern with this game is defense.  Defense in 2K18 was some of the worst I've seen, so if it is improved in 2K19, my concern is people complaining that it's too hard to score, etc and the devs putting out a patch to reduce defensive effectiveness like they have done in the past.

Defenders still don't react to passes half the time.  Passes can still be thrown right next to a defender and there's nothing that can be done about it.  The transition defense in this game is putrid most of the time, outside of a few times where the defender reacts how he is supposed to.

Very very bad.

Okay so, when you play online you have to unlock teams?  Teams are in ridiculous tiers.... The 2019 Bulls, who are one of the worst teams in the league, are in the same tier as historic teams.  Why is there even a tier system at all?  Why not just give us a team select screen and let the players pick the teams and see what teams are being picked.

This is just so disappointing.