Training Camp Battle - Wide Receiver

DoleINGout

Wide Receiver  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which receivers are LEAST likely to make it?

• Riley McCarron
    • Eric Decker
    • Paul Turner
    • Kenny Britt
    • Chris Hogan
    • Philip Dorsett
    • Devin Lucien
    • Matthew Slater
    • Braxton Berrios
    • Cordarelle Patterson
    • Julian Edelman

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/23/2018 at 06:57 AM

3 hours ago, LD696 said:

QFT. I understand the notion when there are viable alternatives on the horizon, but this time there aren't (I don't see Bryant as one).

Having "Viable alternatives" has never stopped the Patriots from trading, cutting, moving a player who they don't think they are getting value out of in the past. If you think Hogan, or anyone, is safe simply because we are thin at WR, you are kidding yourself. 

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Nothing too telling, but worth mentioning: Dorsett went to the medical tent and Riley McCarron took over as the third WR in hurry-up. 

McCarron is too up and down. He practiced with second team most of the practice alongside Patterson and #10 who I think is Lucien. Honestly, Patterson did nothing to stand out in terms of gaining separation or targets. Lucien is the most consistent of the three. Braxton Berrios just needs to learn the calls and playbook before he jumps ahead. All in all a very underwhelming group especially without a dropsie Julian Edelman coming off a suspension and ACL rehabilitation. Dez Bryant eould clearly be the piece needed to out the Patriots over the top as a Super Bowl contender this season. It's just silly at this point. One year deal, incentive laden, easy opt-out for the team if Dez brings poor practice habits and work ethic. No more in the public eye with training camp off limits and a chance that Dez can focus for one more good season after being unsigned this long since being cut. Win/win.

The other option that makes some sense is signing Brandon LaFell back if things continue to go poorly with the receiver group.

8 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

McCarron is too up and down. He practiced with second team most of the practice alongside Patterson and #10 who I think is Lucien. Honestly, Patterson did nothing to stand out in terms of gaining separation or targets. Lucien is the most consistent of the three. Braxton Berrios just needs to learn the calls and playbook before he jumps ahead. All in all a very underwhelming group especially without a dropsie Julian Edelman coming off a suspension and ACL rehabilitation.

Yeah, not a big McCarron guy. If it’s close between him and Berrios, I’d rather have the latter. 

8 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Dez Bryant eould clearly be the piece needed to out the Patriots over the top as a Super Bowl contender this season. It's just silly at this point. One year deal, incentive laden, easy opt-out for the team if Dez brings poor practice habits and work ethic. No more in the public eye with training camp off limits and a chance that Dez can focus for one more good season after being unsigned this long since being cut. Win/win.

I’ll pass on the older receiver with so-so route running, shaky hands, little separation, and questionable ability to learn a playbook as complex as NE’s. 

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’ll pass on the older receiver with so-so route running, shaky hands, little separation, and questionable ability to learn a playbook as complex as NE’s. 

Decker was and still is the better fit but the depth Bryant would provide seems more and more necessary. At least Dez Bryant can high point and threaten teams at certain points on the field whereas the current roster possesses no one else who does anything relatively well with even a bit of consistency. I had higher hopes for Dorsett but he is struggling on the gimme plays.

27 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Decker was and still is the better fit but the depth Bryant would provide seems more and more necessary. At least Dez Bryant can high point and threaten teams at certain points on the field whereas the current roster possesses no one else who does anything relatively well with even a bit of consistency. I had higher hopes for Dorsett but he is struggling on the gimme plays.

It’s sad Dorsett is likely going to be a starter to begin the season. He’s a body catcher, through and through.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It’s sad Dorsett is likely going to be a starter to begin the season. He’s a body catcher, through and through.

He can make some decent receptions with his hands in crucial down and distances and is consistent when working back to the QB. He is just so inconsistent or lacks confidence on the big plays where he runs beyond seventeen yards downfield. The speed is there, the confidence and NFL experience isn't. The Patriots are trying to give him every opportunity to learn but he was clearly demoted to second team today and is hurt now.

Here's my list of most to least likely to stick on the 53:

1. Julian Edelman

2. Matthew Slater

3. Chris Hogan

4. Braxton Berrios

5. Phillip Dorsett

6. Corderelle Patterson

7. Eric Decker

8. Devin Lucien

8. Riley McCarron

9. Kenny Britt

10. Paul Turner

Mind you this is not a list based purely on ability but also factors in contract status, draft considerations, and financials. 

3 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Yeah Chris Hogan is pretty good at football. Most likely on the bubble tho.

I sense your sarcasm and frustration with me in particular but prior to this week Hogan was struggling as much as any other receiver. Hogan put in a good practice Tuesday and hasn't looked back since. As long as Hogan doesn't start to drop more passes or lose his separation skills like it had appeared then he will be good. Hogan can't afford to lose a half-step or become inconsistent catching the ball.

Archived