What are things in the NFL you have seen retconned?

patriotsheatyan

Like, as in people retroactively changing history. Probably something that wasn’t controversial at the time but has become since. Adding a narrative that didn’t exist.

For example, I have seen people in the last year talk about how Brees nearly won MVP in 2011 but lost to Rodgers narrowly, when there was no actual controversy. 

I think another example is people saying that Namath actual sucked.

The Tuck rule fumble in 2001 just to see how big of a change it would've been to the Patriots, would Tom Brady have been as successful if he lost that fumble? (Like he should've...)

Option B would be making the NFL not suck from a PR perspective somehow, I'd say switch out Roger goodell for a dog in a suit but that dog would easily succumb to the NFL owners bribes. The worst part about the NFL today is every other week we have a controversy and it's just annoying how bad the NFL is at dealing with it. 

As a homer, the Cundiff kick in 2012 to see what would've happened had we played the giants. 

3 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

For example, I have seen people in the last year talk about how Brees nearly won MVP in 2011 but lost to Rodgers narrowly, when there was no actual controversy. 

We had a 35 page thread about whether the Matt Flynn game would prove the blow to keep Rodgers from winning MVP over Brees. This poll gave Rodgers the lead by a decent margin, but he still was only picked as the MVP by 46% of voters. I remember a lot of discussion on this, and even remember a few members getting banned for trolling after the Saints lost to the Panthers, claiming it proved that Brees didn't deserve to be mentions. Oddly enough, the Packers lost the following day.

There were quite a few people who felt it should have gone to Brees. Acknowledging that isn't retconning the past.

10 hours ago, pwny said:

We had a 35 page thread about whether the Matt Flynn game would prove the blow to keep Rodgers from winning MVP over Brees. This poll gave Rodgers the lead by a decent margin, but he still was only picked as the MVP by 46% of voters. I remember a lot of discussion on this, and even remember a few members getting banned for trolling after the Saints lost to the Panthers, claiming it proved that Brees didn't deserve to be mentions. Oddly enough, the Packers lost the following day.

There were quite a few people who felt it should have gone to Brees. Acknowledging that isn't retconning the past.

Yeah but it’s sort of like this year where Brady was kind of leading the discussion the whole way and people were just throwing names at the wall to have an argument. First it was Smith, then he got cold. Then it was Wentz who when he went down was behind Brady in most stats, then it was Brown who got injured and his team lost to Brady’s. Then it was Gurley. 

Like yeah you can say there were people that were argued for, but it was constant most of the way. 

Most people arguing for Brees generally knew that Brees was the underdog and Rodgers most likely gets it.

10 hours ago, lancerman said:

Yeah but it’s sort of like this year where Brady was kind of leading the discussion the whole way and people were just throwing names at the wall to have an argument. First it was Smith, then he got cold. Then it was Wentz who when he went down was behind Brady in most stats, then it was Brown who got injured and his team lost to Brady’s. Then it was Gurley. 

Like yeah you can say there were people that were argued for, but it was constant most of the way. 

Most people arguing for Brees generally knew that Brees was the underdog and Rodgers most likely gets it.

i’d argue that smith was probably a step ahead of long tom until the chiefs shat the bed against pittsburgh as they do

and brown had a legitimate shot imho or should have if not for the fact it is exceedingly hard to get votes as a non-QB-RB

Archived