Should Blake start?

pwny

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Silver has connections with the scouting staff and is p good friends with Tony. 

Well, unless I am reading it wrong it looks like there at least seems to be a plan/idea that we may seriously look to do something after Thursday if we see a Bortles performance anything like the last two preseason games. 

I would be cool seeing what Brandon Allen has got, but honestly expecting anything out of a 6th round pick or getting high hopes from what he did in the 4th quarter of a preseason game against 3rd/4th stringers with a supremely talented WR that was getting crazy separation (did have some nice throws for sure, not negating that, but still) needs to be taken in context.

Hundley we all know has upside and has shown some good things for GB. Kaepernick was a solid QB last year, not a franchise level guy, but a guy with a decent team around him could win some games. We could get him without losing draft capital for an organization that although has a lot of talent still has some holes/needs at various positions after this year (LG, RG possibly, RT, QB (if no one steps up/we don't get a guy that looks to be "the guy"), FS (TBD with Gip), CB3 (We'll see if Colvin is retained), MLB (Either MLB or SLB, whichever backer Jack doesn't play who is also a big ?), pass rusher, and likely a TE.

Sure, you can find some of those in FA and you aren't going to be loaded at every spot, but draft capital is important for us. If we like a QB and can move a couple picks for one like Hundley then okay, do it, but if Kaepernick is just being put to the side because of his off-field antics when we desperately need a QB and he would easily be QB1 here...

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Well, unless I am reading it wrong it looks like there at least seems to be a plan/idea that we may seriously look to do something after Thursday if we see a Bortles performance anything like the last two preseason games.

They should probably stop wasting time if they’re considering bringing in a new player. Playbooks take a good deal of time to work on. The timing work needed to get in sync with ARob takes time. They’re wasting precious time on a hope and a prayer. 

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

They should probably stop wasting time if they’re considering bringing in a new player. Playbooks take a good deal of time to work on. The timing work needed to get in sync with ARob takes time. They’re wasting precious time on a hope and a prayer. 

Yup, and what if Blake looks good on Thursday? Does that all the sudden mean we throw out all of TC (wasn't bad all the time, but there was some pretty awful practices according to the media) and the first two preseason games where he looked bad? One good preseason game means he's back on track and we're ready to go?

Has to be more to this...

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Yup, and what if Blake looks good on Thursday? Does that all the sudden mean we throw out all of TC (wasn't bad all the time, but there was some pretty awful practices according to the media) and the first two preseason games where he looked bad? One good preseason game means he's back on track and we're ready to go?

Has to be more to this...

It almost sounds like their plan is to let whatever happens happen and then make a change next year. 

Just now, iPwn said:

It almost sounds like their plan is to let whatever happens happen and then make a change next year. 

Just have a hard time believing that unless, again, Marrone/TC think we can pull a 7-9 type year with Henne/Allen similar to what he did with an over the hill/journeymen Kyle Orton in Buffalo.

Just would be hard to see us let another year go by anything resembling the past couple with an atrocious option at QB. I do personally think Henne with Fournette/the receivers we have can be a fringe game manager type and win some games though. 

Just have a hard time believing that unless, again, Marrone/TC think we can pull a 7-9 type year with Henne/Allen similar to what he did with an over the hill/journeymen Kyle Orton in Buffalo.

Just would be hard to see us let another year go by anything resembling the past couple with an atrocious option at QB. I do personally think Henne with Fournette/the receivers we have can be a fringe game manager type and win some games though. 

Or they want Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, or whoever and think they can punt another season to get the long term answer. 

6 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Or they want Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, or whoever and think they can punt another season to get the long term answer. 

I'd rather win some games and get out of this dark hole picking top 5 and show some life followed by trading multiple draft picks to get one of them than suck again (which likely means some of our young guys didn't take the step we had hoped) and pick top 5 with a poor situation to walk into.

I've been on the suck and pick high camp before. After watching Bortles get outplayed by guys who went late rd 1 in the same draft I could care less. If there is a QB we see and we love and we don't have a long term fix there, go up and get him if we aren't picking that high. Sucks to lose the draft capital but I would rather have a guy get brought into a solid situation.

I'd rather win some games and get out of this dark hole picking top 5 and show some life followed by trading multiple draft picks to get one of them than suck again (which likely means some of our young guys didn't take the step we had hoped) and pick top 5 with a poor situation to walk into.

I feel largely the same. But I mean this team would have addressed QB earlier if they actually cared about getting better there this season. Coughlin apparently didn’t like Blake, but did absolutely nothing to bring in competition. 

Just now, iPwn said:

I feel largely the same. But I mean this team would have addressed QB earlier if they actually cared about getting better there this season. Coughlin apparently didn’t like Blake, but did absolutely nothing to bring in competition. 

This draft to be fair wasn't exactly ideal to take a guy high. I liked Mahomes but he looked like a raw QB who needed work but had nice upside (not exactly our specialty in recent years, and not a guy many saw getting taken top 5-10). Watson was there but he has plenty of questions and has looked poor so far too. Not sure what other options outside of a trade got us someone that could be looked at as a potential guy for years to come.

Obviously some of these QB's will fall off just like every year, but this upcoming season certainly looks better in the QB department. Getting a guy like Fournette and Cam Robinson in rds 1 and 2 (LT and RB) certainly show that they are at least trying to get some building blocks to help whoever is the long term option at QB...although I'm still puzzled why we didn't take an interior OL in the middle rounds...especially when we didn't address it in Free Agency.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This draft to be fair wasn't exactly ideal to take a guy high. I liked Mahomes but he looked like a raw QB who needed work but had nice upside (not exactly our specialty in recent years, and not a guy many saw getting taken top 5-10). Watson was there but he has plenty of questions and has looked poor so far too. Not sure what other options outside of a trade got us someone that could be looked at as a potential guy for years to come.

If they took this stance in April, I’m not sure it’s going to change over the next week though. If they wanted to upgrade, they would have. Kaep was there. Cutler was there. Alex Smith became as available as he is now sometime in camp. Tyrod has been available the whole time. None of these guys have become more available or progressed to the point of justifying a trade now when they didn’t before. If they wanted to make a move, they would have.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Obviously some of these QB's will fall off just like every year, but this upcoming season certainly looks better in the QB department. Getting a guy like Fournette and Cam Robinson in rds 1 and 2 (LT and RB) certainly show that they are at least trying to get some building blocks to help whoever is the long term option at QB...although I'm still puzzled why we didn't take an interior OL in the middle rounds...especially when we didn't address it in Free Agency.

This would suggest they still aren’t going to make a move this season, right? That they’ll just let this be a dumpster fire if it’s a dumpster fire while hoping Blake is good or praying Henne is, and then address it next season?

3 minutes ago, iPwn said:

If they took this stance in April, I’m not sure it’s going to change over the next week though. If they wanted to upgrade, they would have. Kaep was there. Cutler was there. Alex Smith became as available as he is now sometime in camp. Tyrod has been available the whole time. None of these guys have become more available or progressed to the point of justifying a trade now when they didn’t before. If they wanted to make a move, they would have.

This would suggest they still aren’t going to make a move this season, right? That they’ll just let this be a dumpster fire if it’s a dumpster fire while hoping Blake is good or praying Henne is, and then address it next season?

No one has touched Kap though who have poor QB situations as well, I don't get it. As for Smith and Tyrod, not really sure. No idea what the plan is behind closed doors/if they have talked. We do know they went to CIN and asked about McCarron but they wanted an insane amount. That's about it.

As for the 2nd point, I guess we'll see. I just don't see how you can take another year like we've had for the past several. There needs to be progress shown and if the defense is on the field all the time/being forced into bad situations into turnovers we aren't going to see what we want to see out there. If teams are stacking 9 in the box because we can't throw the ball and we have Fournette in the backfield he isn't going to be able to do much. If our QB can't hit ARob, Hurns, Lee, Dede, Cole, etc. in stride (Henne has for the most part to be fair, Bortles not so much) than we aren't going to see progress there. OL is going to look bad with a QB that defenses don't have to gameplan for/worry about too. Just let Bortles continue to make mistakes/hurt himself and stack the box against the run so it won't allow us to do anything.

Just sad. I'm fine seeing what Henne/Allen can do but there's just no way we can put Bortles out there past a couple weeks if he continues doing what he's done. We just can't.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

No one has touched Kap though who have poor QB situations as well, I don't get it.

I think we all get it. And it’s nonsense. You’d think that given Shad’s background, he’d at least be willing to not let that type of thing cloud the franchise’s willingness to make a move. 

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

As for the 2nd point, I guess we'll see. I just don't see how you can take another year like we've had for the past several.

I wonder if this is a situation where Coughlin just doesn’t have any sense of urgency. He wasn’t a part of the staff that picked Leftwich, Gabby and Bortles, and Dave’s fate is sealed with Blake’s performance anyway. He didn’t stay here for any of these past disastrous seasons and has a fairly clean slate with Khan to turn things around. He doesn’t have to make a move for his own self-preservation, so he can wait on it. The only bad thing for him to come out of it would be ARob walking, but other than that, he doesn’t really have any urgency to make a move. So he can sit on his hands and do nothing.

I just don't know how they can justify going into the season with either of them at QB. 

This is a 5 win team, tops, with either of them at QB. 

Id be on the phone with KC for Alex Smith tbh. We would at least be in playoff contention with him under center imo.

I'm not sure what their plan is but we will probably find out after Thursday. If Blake and Henne suck Thursday, how do they not make a move for someone?

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Id be on the phone with KC for Alex Smith tbh. We would at least be in playoff contention with him under center imo

If they’re going to be dingbats and not entertain the idea of Kaepernick, this is the route I’d be taking too. 

Archived