Our offense so far

bucsfan333

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

We're the number two overall offense, number two passing offense, and number two in scoring. 

We're actually finishing drives with TDs when we get into the redzone. 

Does this carry over into the season? 

Something I have been thinking, how good is Ryan Jensen?  Hawley competed really hard, but was undersized.  Plus having Jensen moves Marpet back to guard.  I was concerned last night, but the line held very well with Jensen and Dotson the only starters.  IIRC, most really good offenses have a really good center.  Certainly, he is not the only reason, the offensive weapons are plentiful, but keeping the A and B gaps under control makes life a whole lot easier.

I think Doug Martin s average per carry was the lowest over the last 30 years at least for a starter.  I know we have debated how important running the ball is in today s game.  I doubt this team will ever get close to a 50/50 split passing to run.  However, they need to get better results when they do run it.  Koetter s offense highlights the play action pass.  Even teams who run RPOs last season, were very successful when they ran the ball.

In the little bit of preseason with Barber highlights the change.  I read a stat last season where the Bucs were first in the amount of attempts run on first down.  The philosophy was silly with a RB averaging less then 3 yds/carry.  This preseason Monken is throwing more on first down, but important also is what Barber is doing with the ball in his hands.

I won't argue that Monken shouldn't call plays.  Koetter s downfall last season was his use of personnel. How many fades did we see to Godwin on the outside in the red zone last season? I remember him being in the slot mostly in the red zone.  He can't help but adjust now because he will be fired at the end of the season without results.  At least this preseason, the offense has shown an ability to throw and run in the red zone and I believe this is due to how personnel is deployed and used as opposed to a change with the structure of the offense.

I hope Monken keeps calling plays personally.  I do think that is the ultimate plan right now.  

3 hours ago, tmlgogo said:

All I know is that Barber is a legit threat out of the backfield. He can play and should get a lot of snaps going forward.

I miss the days of great running backs. Give me rookie year Cadillac Williams all day. 

Barber will surprise some non Bucs folks this year. I’m predicting him close to 1,000 yard season around 6-8 TDs.

Yeah barber has earned the bulk of the carries. 

Still not a fan of winston on or off the field but he’s looked good. Again consistency is not his strong point so tbd. 

I haven’t been impressed with Ronald jones this preseason at all. I hope he can spell barber and eat into Rodgers carries but from the looks of it Quiz is the number two guy. 

I like our OL. I think it’s better. The weapons in the pass game are the best in the league. 

And I hope dirk Gives the playcalling duties to monken. I think the offense flows much better. 

I could be completely wrong, but it is easier to leave Monken with play calling and do a hail Mary to save his job later in the season and take it back,    I hope he realizes he is the head coach and the defense and special teams sucking ultimately falls at his feet.  I dont buy that offensive minded coaches need to call plays.  

The greatest head coach of all time who is 5-3 in Super Bowls and won 2 Super Bowls as a coordinator hasn't called his own defense in New England at all I believe.  Hopefully, he s doing a reverse Lovie and will have much better results.

Archived