2019 Prospects thread.

Jimmy Austin

14 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Is there a reason (on the field) to believe he isn't?

Is that really a question? He’s not lit the world on fire. He’s been massively inconsistent and we had the same weapons this year as last and he failed to put together a game anywhere remotely close to what fitz has in 1 + year, 4 starts I believe total. 

1 hour ago, Caaddy24 said:

I'm just surprised. There's nothing I know that ya'll don't, so I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. But yeah, in short I definitely have never seen anything from him, on the field, showing he's capable of running a consistent efficient offense. I guess it's not obvious to most people, at least not as obvious as his off the field issues. Though those issues should be enough alone. 

This. He has not blown anyone away. He’s been below average mostly. 

19 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Did you not watch the last five games of last season or any of the preseason this year?

Preseason doesn’t count in the W/L column and he was goin up against second and third team defenses. 

I watched the last 5 games. He was goodbetween the 20s until he turned it over or couldn’t make a decision in the RZ. 

He turns it over way too much and costs team games. 

2 hours ago, Caaddy24 said:

I'm just surprised. There's nothing I know that ya'll don't, so I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. But yeah, in short I definitely have never seen anything from him, on the field, showing he's capable of running a consistent efficient offense. I guess it's not obvious to most people, at least not as obvious as his off the field issues. Though those issues should be enough alone. 

Jameis play on first downs was elite. Second downs his passer rating was terrible. His play on third downs (QBR) was above average. In short, after a successful first down play Winston tended to get greedy on second downs. Almost 9 out 100 passing attempts following a successful first down play resulted in a pick.

In summary, the guy can play he just needs to stop forcing it. Refer to the last 5 games last season when he came back from shoulder injury.

43 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

This. He has not blown anyone away. He’s been below average mostly. 

Preseason doesn’t count in the W/L column and he was goin up against second and third team defenses. 

I watched the last 5 games. He was goodbetween the 20s until he turned it over or couldn’t make a decision in the RZ. 

He turns it over way too much and costs team games. 

Winston has not been below average. He’s been average. And its not like he has had a ground game to help him. I mean expecting a year 1 or 2 QB to play at a high level is just unrealisitc. Esp when they have no run game.

He has shown enough to play out his contract and possible extension.

Edited by indifference

3 hours ago, indifference said:

Winston has not been below average. He’s been average. And its not like he has had a ground game to help him. I mean expecting a year 1 or 2 QB to play at a high level is just unrealisitc. Esp when they have no run game.

He has shown enough to play out his contract and possible extension.

I feel like we’re having the same discussion about winston as we did about Freeman when his contract was close to the end. 

When you watch the film of winston , you see some good, some bad and really ugly play. Since his freshman year a team Florida state, he really hasn’t progressed. He regressed in his sophomore year and me and a fellow co worker discussed this as he’s an FSU guy. He believe Jameis freshman year was a fluke and had all the talent and got away with not going through reads. 

Ive said the same thing over and over again. His football IQ come game time is poor. His accuracy is spotty and he holds the ball waiting for his top read to get open instead of hitting the check down or second option. 

I looked at Fitzpatrick’s play and on first and second downs when the play wasn’t there he settled for a 2 yard scramble. Same scenarios where Winston would have ate a sack or threw a bad ball. 

When you hear Todd Monken say in the off-season they’ve been basically trying to hammer out the bad decisions out of Jameis and it just seems like it doesn’t stick. Will it ever? 

Today’s nfl you don’t need guys with a rocket arm. You need someone who can make the throws quick and accurately. 

Winston has come into this league with more talent on offense that has only gotten better. Evans is a dominate number 1. Last year he had significant amount of weapons. Why didn’t he take the next step? 

If Fitzpatrick continues to play at a high level you don’t bench him. Then you look to trading Jameis. 

12 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

His most recent games? Yes.

I honestly don't remember how his game was the last few games of last season, I think I was too busy rooting for the opposing D-line to rip his head off to pay attention to his play...

But I watched him in these pre-season games and he looked no different than usual. Some good throws, moving the ball a bit (with these offensive weapons, it would be really hard not to), but I don't see him progressing any more than he is right now. I think he's also losing his leadership role with the team.

giphy.gif

Edited by Caaddy24

6 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I feel like we’re having the same discussion about winston as we did about Freeman when his contract was close to the end. 

When you watch the film of winston , you see some good, some bad and really ugly play. Since his freshman year a team Florida state, he really hasn’t progressed. He regressed in his sophomore year and me and a fellow co worker discussed this as he’s an FSU guy. He believe Jameis freshman year was a fluke and had all the talent and got away with not going through reads. 

Ive said the same thing over and over again. His football IQ come game time is poor. His accuracy is spotty and he holds the ball waiting for his top read to get open instead of hitting the check down or second option. 

I looked at Fitzpatrick’s play and on first and second downs when the play wasn’t there he settled for a 2 yard scramble. Same scenarios where Winston would have ate a sack or threw a bad ball. 

When you hear Todd Monken say in the off-season they’ve been basically trying to hammer out the bad decisions out of Jameis and it just seems like it doesn’t stick. Will it ever? 

Today’s nfl you don’t need guys with a rocket arm. You need someone who can make the throws quick and accurately. 

Winston has come into this league with more talent on offense that has only gotten better. Evans is a dominate number 1. Last year he had significant amount of weapons. Why didn’t he take the next step? 

If Fitzpatrick continues to play at a high level you don’t bench him. Then you look to trading Jameis. 

OL didn’t hold up last year. Interior wise we had trouble keeping a clean pocket. Needs to improve on his consistency like every other young QB. Derek Carr looked brilliant a few seasons ago now he’s seemed to regress. Jameis isn’t being traded under Jason Licht. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Is that really a question? He’s not lit the world on fire. He’s been massively inconsistent and we had the same weapons this year as last and he failed to put together a game anywhere remotely close to what fitz has in 1 + year, 4 starts I believe total. 

19/29, 246 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs 

His stats against the Eagles his rookie year.

8 hours ago, indifference said:

OL didn’t hold up last year. Interior wise we had trouble keeping a clean pocket. Needs to improve on his consistency like every other young QB. Derek Carr looked brilliant a few seasons ago now he’s seemed to regress. Jameis isn’t being traded under Jason Licht. 

OL gave him 4+ seconds before pressure last year. Which was pretty good. Jameis takes his time to find his first read. Rarely hits the next progression. 

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

He has done what since? 

Now you're moving the needle. Your point was that he's never done anything close to what Fitz just did. I showed you he did and you changed the subject.

But to answer your new question; 153/224, 1,972 yards, 12 TDs, 5 INTs 

Those are his numbers since he recovered from his shoulder injury last season. That's over a 68% completion percentage, over 8.8 yards per attempt, and a QB rating of 104.2. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Now you're moving the needle. Your point was that he's never done anything close to what Fitz just did. I showed you he did and you changed the subject.

But to answer your new question; 153/224, 1,972 yards, 12 TDs, 5 INTs 

Those are his numbers since he recovered from his shoulder injury last season. That's over a 68% completion percentage, over 8.8 yards per attempt, and a QB rating of 104.2. 

You forgot the w/L record. And the 3 fumbles that lost them game in carolina. Oh and in Gb lol ?  

its also a coincidence too that winston can’t hit a deep ball too right? 

Edited by REDandPEWTER