The un-HYPEd Thread

haveyoumetdustin

28 minutes ago, YoungBucs15 said:

I just mean giving him an extension that puts us at a lower yearly salary than the 20.9 million he has coming and an extension that allows us out after the next year. 

Bortles was gonna get 19m for his 5th year, instead signed an extension for about 18m a year and i'm sure the Jags have the ability to cut without losing much.  Especially the way we give contracts without signing bonuses.  

Keeping in mind this is if the Glazers force the next HC to keep Winston.

That’s what scares me is if the glazers say to the candidates they have to roll with Winston. Then you might as well kiss any potential good candidate good bye. 

There is NO WAY Winston is with the Bucs next year. He's gone. He will go to another team as a backup. Everyone has seen him on the field, and his off field antics, and on field antics. There's no way anyone values him as a starter. Maybe he will go to the Titans and backup Mariota. 

51 minutes ago, YoungBucs15 said:

I just mean giving him an extension that puts us at a lower yearly salary than the 20.9 million he has coming and an extension that allows us out after the next year. 

Bortles was gonna get 19m for his 5th year, instead signed an extension for about 18m a year and i'm sure the Jags have the ability to cut without losing much.  Especially the way we give contracts without signing bonuses.  

Keeping in mind this is if the Glazers force the next HC to keep Winston.

Why would he sign a contract for less money than he's gonna make right now?

Guaranteed money is all any of the players/agents care about.

9 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

There is NO WAY Winston is with the Bucs next year. He's gone. He will go to another team as a backup. Everyone has seen him on the field, and his off field antics, and on field antics. There's no way anyone values him as a starter. Maybe he will go to the Titans and backup Mariota. 

I wouldn't bet on that just yet.

25 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Why would he sign a contract for less money than he's gonna make right now?

Guaranteed money is all any of the players/agents care about.

Longer term financial security I’d guess if the deal was over a few years. It might put the Bucs in a position where it would be uneconomical to cut him.

Equally, I doubt many players would do that becaause then if you play well in year 1, the contract probably isn’t revisited.

Since I’ve moved down here in the Tampa area I’ve heard a lot of rumblings as to why this franchise took Winston. Bc frankly it didn’t make sense. Lovie preached taking care of the football and playing good defense and Licht stated you can’t coach guys out of turnovers. 

Jameis didn’t check off any of those boxes in terms of philosophies. 

What I did hear is ownership was sick of a declining fan base and thought the character of a local football player at a popular school in the area would drive up not just revenue but actually get buc fans ( if anyone has ever been to a game you see the high volume away team jerseys in the crowd ) to come out to a game. 

And I heard that the owners wanted a highly charismatic personality to change the culture. And Marcus wasn’t that type of guy. 

29 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Longer term financial security I’d guess if the deal was over a few years. It might put the Bucs in a position where it would be uneconomical to cut him.

Equally, I doubt many players would do that becaause then if you play well in year 1, the contract probably isn’t revisited.

The security lies in the guaranteed money. He's not secure right now. But he's looking at $21M. That's a helluva lot better than $15M or so on an extension.

Jameis already has a one year deal. Signing a long-term contract like the one we're talking about is essentially the same thing, but for less money.

41 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

The security lies in the guaranteed money. He's not secure right now. But he's looking at $21M. That's a helluva lot better than $15M or so on an extension.

Jameis already has a one year deal. Signing a long-term contract like the one we're talking about is essentially the same thing, but for less money.

True, I guess a lot of the money in a new deal wouldn’t be guaranteed, so it would make little sense to do it. 

Can’t blame players for sticking to their contracts, particularly when it makes more sense for them.

12 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

True, I guess a lot of the money in a new deal wouldn’t be guaranteed, so it would make little sense to do it. 

Can’t blame players for sticking to their contracts, particularly when it makes more sense for them.

Honestly the easy solution is to let him go and sign Foles, Flacco or Bridgewater. All three are cheaper and an upgrade over Winston. 

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Since I’ve moved down here in the Tampa area I’ve heard a lot of rumblings as to why this franchise took Winston. Bc frankly it didn’t make sense. Lovie preached taking care of the football and playing good defense and Licht stated you can’t coach guys out of turnovers. 

Jameis didn’t check off any of those boxes in terms of philosophies. 

What I did hear is ownership was sick of a declining fan base and thought the character of a local football player at a popular school in the area would drive up not just revenue but actually get buc fans ( if anyone has ever been to a game you see the high volume away team jerseys in the crowd ) to come out to a game. 

And I heard that the owners wanted a highly charismatic personality to change the culture. And Marcus wasn’t that type of guy. 

It sounds like someone made that up, but if true the Bucs will never be a relevant franchise with that kind of ownership. 

3 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

It sounds like someone made that up, but if true the Bucs will never be a relevant franchise with that kind of ownership. 

You could be right. I’m not saying it’s facts but the amount of times I’ve heard it have been numerous. 

Plus trying to solve the puzzle of two guys taking someone that goes against their past philosophies. Kinda head scratching ? Right ? 

43 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

He could bet on himself, like some players do. But it would make more sense for him to do it with $21M in his pocket. He'll get paid if he delivers. If not, $21M is probably the most he's gonna get in a single year for the rest of his csreer.

19 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

Many players have said that some owners are in it to win and some to make money. Glazers appear to be about the money.

Archived