Would you agree or disagree with the claim that kickers are the most undervalued position in the league?

patriotsheatyan

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Right?!

Also, ironically enough:

Of course this is a completely arbitrary cutoff point, but I suppose it speaks volumes to how consistent he and Gould have been in that time frame compared to all other kickers.

At this point, they don't even really need to establish an arbitrary cut off for those two kickers to be honest. They both have enough games that I think the sample size is sufficient for both, and these are two of the most accurate kickers in nfl history. Tucker is the only kicker in history to hit on over 90% of his field goal attempts (90.308%). Gould isn't that much further behind all time as he is basically tied for 4th with Hauschka at 87.1% (Gould is 87.105, Hauschka 87.109), and both of them are right there with Gostkowski for #3 (87.532%). 

Interestingly, Dan Bailey is second all time and currently unemployed, though his injury issues have trended his performances downward the last two years. 

I'd say punters are more undervalued. 

Field position plays a massive role in the outcome of games, and it's arguable that punters have the strongest ability to affect field position, among all positions. Starting nearly every drive at the 15 yard line or less can have a dramatic overall effect. 

I think they're overall less valuable than kickers, but feel they are more undervalued than kickers are. 

18 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Serious question:

If you are like the Vikings and are going all in to win a SB in the next couple years, would you trade a 2nd for Justin Tucker?

If the guy is a great kicker I wouldn't have a problem giving up a late second round pick for him.  Kickers are put in a position of winning or losing big games, so they are important.  Then again, we had Gary Anderson in 1998 and what did that get us?

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

At this point, they don't even really need to establish an arbitrary cut off for those two kickers to be honest. They both have enough games that I think the sample size is sufficient for both, and these are two of the most accurate kickers in nfl history. Tucker is the only kicker in history to hit on over 90% of his field goal attempts (90.308%). Gould isn't that much further behind all time as he is basically tied for 4th with Hauschka at 87.1% (Gould is 87.105, Hauschka 87.109), and both of them are right there with Gostkowski for #3 (87.532%). 

Interestingly, Dan Bailey is second all time and currently unemployed, though his injury issues have trended his performances downward the last two years. 

And Justin Tucker's percentage is even more impressive when you consider how often the Ravens have trotted him out there in 50+ situations. Gould, generally speaking, wouldn't even attempt some of the kicks that Tucker makes.

As for Dan Bailey, it's been rumored (I think by Schefter or Rapp) that he turned down several offers already this year.

Archived