Redskins Sign 2 WR's. Why?

Ghostnote

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

PRich has done well in getting off the line and getting separation as does Crowder. Garçon and Djax did before them. It remains to be seen with Floyd and Perriman but so far Doctson has struggled to get open quickly with his route running. 

It seems the people who scouted him didn’t do well in scouting for Gruden’s offense. I will say something to counter @e16bball in Cincy, Gruden and Lewis drafted big WRs and those 3 - Green, Jones and Sanu - were able to get open in his offense with good route running and get up and high point balls and make plays in every way.

We seem to be blaming the coaching staff because Doctson isn’t working out, I’m not really sure it’s entirley their fault. They didn’t draft him and his first year was lost to injury and he’s been an inconsistent route runner with inconsistent hands the 16 games or so he’s been playing.

I am not blaming the coaching staff. I am blaming Doctson. And Jay was here under McCloughan who drafted Doctson. 

Doctson just seems soft. He doesn't have the speed to get open and his route running is iffy at best. He doesnt gain any seperation if at all and seems like he is playing at half speed. 

This is his 3rd year in the league and he should be doing much more. 

7 minutes ago, mike23md said:

I am not blaming the coaching staff. I am blaming Doctson. And Jay was here under McCloughan who drafted Doctson. 

Doctson just seems soft. He doesn't have the speed to get open and his route running is iffy at best. He doesnt gain any seperation if at all and seems like he is playing at half speed. 

This is his 3rd year in the league and he should be doing much more. 

Yes, but when McCloughan was here it didn’t seem Jay had much say in the draft. One of the reasons they moved on from McCloughan seems to have been to give Jay more control over the roster and who we draft/sign.

I don’t think Scherff or Doctson were Jay’s top choices in the 2015 & 16 draft based off of Jay’s comments after not making the playoffs in 2016:

”Well, we need to get more of an impact out of our first round picks, we drafted a guard and a WR who didn’t play!”

Frankly, I don't care who drafted who. Jay should be able to coach with who ever is out there and, if you're a good coach, then you can usually get the best out of your players. Doctson might have shown his best on the sidelines when he was injured. 

Mo Harris is that kind of guy. Takes advantage of playing time and uses ever bit of it when he can. Cam Sims was the same way. 

But, I think this is a big need currently.

Anyone have a good read on how Doctson is as a blocker? I haven’t really watched but for it, and honestly don’t have a good sense for either his effort or his ability. 

In this offense, especially with our personnel, the X receiver can make an impact by being a good blocker. On the outside runs, on the end around plays, on all the various sorts of screens, down the field when CT or AD or Crowder get into the open, even occasionally in line or as almost like a wing back. 

If he’s helping us in that way, that would be a significant plus that doesn’t show up in the stat book. But honestly I’m not sure about it. 

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Anyone have a good read on how Doctson is as a blocker? I haven’t really watched but for it, and honestly don’t have a good sense for either his effort or his ability. 

In this offense, especially with our personnel, the X receiver can make an impact by being a good blocker. On the outside runs, on the end around plays, on all the various sorts of screens, down the field when CT or AD or Crowder get into the open, even occasionally in line or as almost like a wing back. 

If he’s helping us in that way, that would be a significant plus that doesn’t show up in the stat book. But honestly I’m not sure about it. 

I think he’s fine as a blocker, but he’s no Garcon or Grant.

I have to say, we could’ve done worst in drafting a WR in round 1 in the 2016 draft. Corey Coleman was cut by the Patriots to make room for Josh Gordon after he had been traded to the bills and then cut by the bills. Now the Patriots put him on their practice squad. 

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I have to say, we could’ve done worst in drafting a WR in round 1 in the 2016 draft. Corey Coleman was cut by the Patriots to make room for Josh Gordon after he had been traded to the bills and then cut by the bills. Now the Patriots put him on their practice squad. 

Laquon Treadwell sucks too, and Fuller is always injured. Can’t really fault McC for not drafting Michael Thomas. No one had him going ahead of the other guys. 

6 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Laquon Treadwell sucks too, and Fuller is always injured. Can’t really fault McC for not drafting Michael Thomas. No one had him going ahead of the other guys. 

Nah, there were some professionals (I think Ledyard, and shockingly Matt Miller) and some on this board (AHEM) that had Thomas as their #1 or #2. 

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Actually I can, because I remember at one point the word was from best reporters is that McCloughan was considering drafting Michael Thomas. I’m not sure why he changed his mind, and why he didn’t, but if he had that would’ve been a game changer this WR corp is sorely missing right now as Doctson tries to find where he lost his hands.  

34 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Interesting.  Still the minority opinion by far though.  Where'd you have Doctson?

Everyone had Doctson high, does it really matter though? The point is he has t worked out and you’d think a great talent evaluator might be able to predict that he might not and that Thomas is a more consistent route runner with better hands.

Archived