2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

32 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Anyone know how Gute drafted per the “Packer” size and athleticism traits last year?

Jaire was slightly shorter than threshold but hit everything else. Other than that, everyone hit them aside from Cole Madison.

CHTV:

Kyle Crabbs, The Draft Network -- Burns, John Abram, and Michael Deiter - this one starts out great, then I'm not sure how I feel.  Abram is a missile, but probably a box safety and he's been thrown out for targeting more than once.  Also, he was taken with Hockenson still on the board.  That I could do without.  Deiter is an interesting prospect.  He didn't test out particularly well, though the offensive line is a place the Packers have strayed from RAS, as with the Cole Madison pick last year.

Ryan Wilson, CBS Sports -- Rashan Gary and Noah Fant - it is what it is.  This is the bad scenario. Bosa Allen and Burns all go. Green Bay passes on Sweat for Gary. Gary, like Ed Oliver, is a man potentially without a position. That said, he wasn't as productive as Oliver. Fant is an excellent fit and excellent choice. Fant is a truly elite athlete.

Sam Farmer, LA Times -- Clelin Ferrell and Deointe Thompson - burn it with fire.

Peter Schrager, NFL.com -- Devin White and Marquise Brown - throw that one in the fire next to the one before it. The second best ILB in the draft at 12 overall and a 165 pound WR with a lisfranc injury?

Jake Rill, Bleacher Report -- Devin White and N'Keal Harry - shoot it into the sun.

Bucky Brooks, NFL.com --  Polite and Irv Smith Jr - a few days ago I'd have been ecstatic.  Now Polite has tanked his draft stock and it turns out ISJ is pretty short. This one wouldn't upset me necessarily but it's not the way to use value after the Combine.

15 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Anyone know how Gute drafted per the “Packer” size and athleticism traits last year?

RAS scores were, for example

Kendall Donnerson 9.98
Equanimeous St.Brown 9.84
Oren Burks 9.72
Jaire Alexander 9.54
Gerard De Beer (fa) 9.44
Tony Brown (fa) 9.31
Josh Jackson 9.27
Marquez Valdes-Scantling 9.25
Tyler Lancaster (fa) 8.54

This tells you nothing has changed in recent years with regard to the importance the Packers place on athleticsm. If anything they are placing more importance on it than ever before. I looked for J'Mon Moore's RAS but couldn't find it......though his 'spiderweb' scores were 96% 3 cone, 93% bench press, 88% 20yd shuttle,. His 2 worst scores were broad jump (49%) and 40 time (17%).....only that slow 40 time really dinging him.

I'd guess they have been a top five team in combined RAS scores, each year from 2016 to 2018 and maybe earlier than that.

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

RAS scores were, for example

Donnerson 9.98
St.Brown 9.84
Burks 9.72
Valdes-Scantling 9.25
Lancaster (fa) 8.54

This tells you nothing has changed in recent years with regard to the importance the Packers place on athleticsm. I looked for J'Mon Moore's RAS but couldn't find it......though his 'spiderweb' scores were 96% 3 cone, 93% bench press, 88% 20yd shuttle,. His 2 worst scores were broad jump (49%) and 40 time (17%).....only that slow 40 time really dinging him.

I'd guess they have been a top five every year in combined RAS scores, since 2016.

And for Moore, his pro-day 40 time ranks 57th percentile. GB doesn't mess around with bad athletes despite everyone clambering that the team needs more speed. GB doesn't mess with crap athletes.

Packers Talk: looking at potential draft prospects for the Packers,

Montez Sweat

6'6" / 252# Defensive End/Outside Linebacker out of Mississippi State. Posted 101 total tackles, 30 tackles for loss, and 22.5 sacks in his 4 year collegiate career, with a huge majority of his production coming in his final 2 years. Lets take a look at some pros and cons of his game.

• Long arms – 35.63 inches
  • Natural pass-rush feel
  • Quickness off the edge
  • Very good in pursuit
  • Speed-to-power rusher
  • Active hands with excellent pop to throw offensive lineman off
  • Great in run defense
  • Good play recognition
  • Great bend and speed
  • High motor with great second effort
  • Ability to regain balance quickly after stumbling
  • Lacks an arsenal of pass rush moves
  • Can get pushed out of his gap
  • Slightly stiff hips
  • Needs to add more weight and strength

Combine Results: 40 Yard Dash 4.41 seconds. Bench Press 21 reps. Vertical Jump 36.0 inches. Broad Jump 10.4 feet. 3 Cone Drill 7 seconds. 20 Yd Shuttle 4.29 seconds. Sweat was the fastest DL to run the 40 yard dash since 2003, he has elite traits.

In the passing-driven NFL, edge defenders who can get after the quarterback are always in demand. With his length, speed, athleticism, size and strength, Sweat has the potential to be an elite impactful edge defender with double-digit sack potential as a pro, something the Packers could defiantly use.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Packers Talk: looking at potential draft prospects for the Packers,

Montez Sweat

6'6" / 252# Defensive End/Outside Linebacker out of Mississippi State. Posted 101 total tackles, 30 tackles for loss, and 22.5 sacks in his 4 year collegiate career, with a huge majority of his production coming in his final 2 years. Lets take a look at some pros and cons of his game.

• Long arms – 35.63 inches
  • Natural pass-rush feel
  • Quickness off the edge
  • Very good in pursuit
  • Speed-to-power rusher
  • Active hands with excellent pop to throw offensive lineman off
  • Great in run defense
  • Good play recognition
  • Great bend and speed
  • High motor with great second effort
  • Ability to regain balance quickly after stumbling
  • Lacks an arsenal of pass rush moves
  • Can get pushed out of his gap
  • Slightly stiff hips
  • Needs to add more weight and strength

Combine Results: 40 Yard Dash 4.41 seconds. Bench Press 21 reps. Vertical Jump 36.0 inches. Broad Jump 10.4 feet. 3 Cone Drill 7 seconds. 20 Yd Shuttle 4.29 seconds. Sweat was the fastest DL to run the 40 yard dash since 2003, he has elite traits.

In the passing-driven NFL, edge defenders who can get after the quarterback are always in demand. With his length, speed, athleticism, size and strength, Sweat has the potential to be an elite impactful edge defender with double-digit sack potential as a pro, something the Packers could defiantly use.

I was very concerned about Sweat's 3C and shuttle and then he nailed them. I could maybe get on board with him at 12. Just depends how the board ultimately falls.

6 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I was very concerned about Sweat's 3C and shuttle and then he nailed them. I could maybe get on board with him at 12. Just depends how the board ultimately falls.

I watched little to none of the combine - so, I'm just reading along, going with the flow of opinions and providing snippets of opinion from others I come across.

Positionally I want to nail this EDGE issue. Get it done. Be that with FAs or top round guys/picks - or folks from later on down the road - I cant say and honestly, dont care. Just get it done. Tired of it being a constant issue for this D. Our secondary could use some shut down help from the front DL.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

As we prepare for 2019's draft, we look back: 

3rd round hasn't been our strongest round...couple hits, a lot of misses. 

The first draft I remember is the BJ Sander one. Just a trash pick. Really in the Finley and beyond era, GB has done well when they've drafted good athletes there and poorly when they haven't. Finley and Burnett were good athletes. Khyri Thornton, Richard Rodgers, Kyler Fackrell, and Montravious Adams all scored pretty meh or poorly. Oren Burks seemed like a reach but we'll see if he can turn his elite athleticism into production. Alex Green was a weird one going from an Air Raid offense at Hawai'i to the NFL. Ty Montgomery converted from WR to RB out of necessity, which makes that pick harder to analyze.

Archived