Byron Jones Expectations

CAPJ

Is this the year that he steps up and improves his game?

He has shown the ability to be flexible and do a variety of roles but I think we were all hoping that he would turn into that rangy play making Free Safety.

I have been a bit disappointed so far but everyone has discussed what a phenomenal camp he has had especially with his takeaways.

85 Tackles 3 Int 2 FF

I'm hoping we allow him to be strictly a free safety this year. He had a couple of opportunities for takeaways last season, but I believe one was taken away due to penalty and another was a drop on his part.

I think if he can get somewhere between 3-6 interceptions this year, it would be great. Realistically, I'll say about 4. Maybe two or three forced fumbles. 

Supposedly he worked on his ball skills by tracking fly balls with the Frisco baseball team, IIRC

His circus INT in camp was a sight. It would be nice to see him start coming down with those. He led the team in pass breakups with 10 last year and was a solid player. Turn some of those into INTs and he's all you could ask for in a FS.

3 hours ago, Dirk Gently said:

Supposedly he worked on his ball skills by tracking fly balls with the Frisco baseball team, IIRC

His circus INT in camp was a sight. It would be nice to see him start coming down with those. He led the team in pass breakups with 10 last year and was a solid player. Turn some of those into INTs and he's all you could ask for in a FS.

Pretty much. I still remember him essentially shutting down Gronkowski his rookie season until that game got out of control, no small task for a veteran player let alone a rook. 

Do you have a photo of that INT, @Dirk Gently? 'Fraid I missed that.

What does he have to improve?

He already was the most consistent DB on the field and one of the most consistent defensive players overall.

He played the slot, he played outside, he played deep, he played the middle, he played the deep middle, he played over the TE, he played zone, he played man.

He took on a bigger leadership role last year too and looks to be doing it again this year.

He is a sound, solid, overall consistent cover guy who can do anything you ask him to. He plays the run, he plays the pass, he can do any assignment you ask him to and he can do it pretty well.

His INT numbers aren't there. But you don't need to make INTs to be an essential, integral, vital part of your team's defensive backfield. He doesn't see many opportunities for them, and when he does, he tends to ensure no catch can be made - either by breaking it up/batting it down, pressing the receiver into a drop through contact, or remaining in such good positioning the receiver has little chance to make a grab. 

If you are worried about interceptions, don't be. That's not his role in this defense and it doesn't have to be. Step one to good defense is getting the other team off the field and putting your offense back out there - and he is a big part of us doing that. Turnovers are a nice bonus. But thats all they are. And that is more the role of the Mike, Will and outside corners in this defense. Not so much the do-it-all safety who is there to back up everyone else. If he is playing aggressive and playing for turnovers, there's a problem. Thats not his role, thats not his skillset, and thats not what he does best.

I expect him to do more of what he has done, and maybe do it a bit better. But he is not that high risk high reward kind of player nor was he that kind of draft pick either. He was picked for his versatility, consistency and "high floor" ready to play tomorrow skillset. I wouldn't expect much more out of him than what we've seen. But because of our defense and the role he plays in it, that is certainly NOT a bad thing!

On 8/15/2017 at 3:04 PM, Dirk Gently said:

Playing outfield is a pretty interesting way to learn how to track a ball in the air. Angles and timing are important in the outfield, I could see that being a big help as a FS.

The thing is, if Byron starts focusing on turnovers and beating the defender to the ball, it will take away from the qualities that make him such a useful cog in the wheel of our defense. He is not an aggressive ball hawk player; he needs to be out there pressing the receiver, breaking up passes, and making catches even harder to make by keeping his positioning his primary focus. 

While you do ideally want more than 1 pick in 2 seasons from your first round DB, you also don't want him getting burned by attempting big plays instead of being the safe, consistent defender we need out there. Sometimes allowing 2 receptions for 25 yards is better than having an interception but allowing 3 catches for 60 yards and a score.

When you get aggressive at safety, it can lead to being burned.

While an Ed Reed type back there would be awesome - don't force Byron into trying to play that role. That is NOT him. Let him be what he is and do what he excels at. 

Archived