Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

26 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

https://x.com/fieldyates/status/1700518364408418392?s=46&t=42tUkm2Yd7KQT50AO-ppJQ

Starting to feel like this is the new void contracts. Create a ton of cap space to carry it over to the next year to take care of a tight cap. 

Yep…cause either way it creates room.

Although at 1st glance…it may be more of a short term fix than void years.

I could be wrong though.

• Like 2

Also - not NFL but NCAA - I find nothing more childish than week in and week out Coach Prime saying other coaches are making it personal. Colorado St.‘s coach wasn’t wrong when he said he respects reporters so he takes off his hat and sunglasses in interviews. If you are using that as bulletin board material your mentally weak. 

14 minutes ago, jebrick said:

He is just influencing how college football will be run for the foreseeable future.  Meaning the transfer portal and high turnover.  Top teams will still be that but otherwise it will be about winning at all costs.

I see one of three things happening in the near-ish future:

A small school is going to go all out for a celebrity coach who will do similar to Deon and crash the CFP and the establishment schools will get pissy and push for different rules. 

-OR-

Players from schools like that aren’t drafted super high, don’t develop in the NFL, and recruits wisen up and don’t call for it. 

-OR- 

The back door tampering on NIL deals start to happen and coaches demand change because of this. 

Honestly I see the first and third happening. I am comfortable betting on the fact some smaller school would hire their one NFL star player to be their “HC” and spend whatever on his staff so they only have to be a figure head (I know someone at Colorado who said Prime basically is a motivational speaker, he barely works with the players) for recruiting. They’ll go back door to talk to players about NIL opportunities by hooking them up with their agent(s), which also risks the players getting suspended. That team will make the CFP, make some noise, but not win. Everyone will be praising that this is the new “NCAA fair to players”. Then in the offseason all of it will be reported. and basically the NCAA as a whole will crash. 

This is IMO why there’s been such a scramble by the SEC/B1G to gobble up teams. And the ACC is finally catching on. They want to create their own entity separate from the NCAA. Much easier to do when it’s 2/3 conferences with the same goal rather than 5 with weak teams that have different goals. If you read interviews with AD’s and UniPres’s that’s what they all hint at. 

Even at the coaches end there’s some convo starting on that. There’s been comments about false promises on NIL. A few have commented that building a program is going to be impossible starting on a bad team would be more valuable than sitting on a good team in the short term. I can’t remember if it was Saban or Day or Smart who suggested NIL deals should be signed with full repayment clauses for leaving a program for another school.