Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

32 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

care to elaborate what annoys  you about all that?  

can't win em all is how I look at the draft.  Najee might not be the game changer  we would want/expect in RD1, but niether is he a jarvis, artie, bush etc..... middle of the road type RD1 pick I would say.  As a RB, he should be glad he was taken in RD1 , thats rare in recent years

Because it was clear we needed more speed at the position than power. The NFL is more about that and the system Tomlin wants is a little more spread and space which Etienne fits better. 

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Because it was clear we needed more speed at the position than power. The NFL is more about that and the system Tomlin wants is a little more spread and space which Etienne fits better. 

so who was the one that made the pick, any confirmation who to blame?

14 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

so who was the one that made the pick, any confirmation who to blame?

I don’t think it’s a who to blame thing because Najee has been decent. Don’t forget Etienne has a better OL to run behind. He’s just better at making people miss. 

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I don’t think it’s a who to blame thing because Najee has been decent. Don’t forget Etienne has a better OL to run behind. He’s just better at making people miss. 

always would prefer the better OL .  

were you hoping they would have drafted a C in this draft we just had? 

46 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/sharpfootball/status/1711583896037400832?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

Yikes. Serious question: is Jordan Love worse than Kenny Pickett?

Stat-wise, they are comparable.  KP has played 2 more  games but TDs and INTs are about the same.  I have not watched Love to see how we reacts and does reads

58 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So there’s a rumor out there that Frank Reich and the coaches wanted CJ Stroud and the front office too Bryce Young anyways - and Reich might be trying to purposely sabotage the pick. 

I doubt that.  Sabotaging Young is something a child would think of.  I am sure Reich is a professional and they are doing their best.  Not like they are going to get Stroud if young fails.  

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Fine but sabotaging your QB and your job is stupid and childish.  I think it is more of a bad team getting QB or he is having trouble with the pro game. 

There was a lot of issues with Reich in Indy with culture too about favoring guys he liked and doghouseing guys he didn't too.

10 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think Jason Witlock is spot on in his criticism of the NFL.  The cut down in practice times has led to a league wide reduction in the quality of the product.   

To toot my own horn (though I can’t stand Whitlock) - I’ve been saying this for 5 years. It’s why defenders hit rather than tackle, it’s why illegal man downfield is up, it’s why offensive concepts are lazy, and this is the biggest reason rushing is down across the league. 

It was always bound to take a generation of players to filter through for it to show up. It was going to take time for college player who came up with less contact to hit the NFL to then struggle to power block, form tackle, know how to DB/WR hand combat. 

It’s harder than ever to develop talent because of the watered down nature of practice. One you just don’t have time because of limits, but because you can’t regularly throw pads on guys and let them actually hit, they have to learn to do all of this on dummy’s that don’t move the same, ghost form the technique, and lack the live action counter without being on the field. 

This is why getting young players on the field faster is becoming such a big thing. Why not using vets for STs is a trend. Why NCAA offenses are being more and more applied. You can see what you have in a young guy in an easier to teach system that players are used to. 

10 hours ago, jebrick said:

I think Jason Witlock is spot on in his criticism of the NFL.  The cut down in practice times has led to a league wide reduction in the quality of the product.   

no doubt, the game is going in the wrong direction in many aspects.  Maybe in a few years the older fans will eventually have had enough and move on.