How are those second year players coming along?

Forge

Broncos

1st round (20th overall), Garrett Bolles, LT - 2nd most penalties in the league last year, and his past 2 games this season have shown signs of the same. He does show promise and I feel like he may be more suited to RT, but he's disappointed for the 20th overall pick.

2nd round (51st overall), DeMarcus Walker, OLB/DE - Has contributed very little. We asked him to put on weight to play 3-4 DE last year which was a mistake, but now he's playing 3-4 OLB at  circa 265lbs and he's not anywhere dynamic enough as an athlete to play the position. He's currently inactive each game week. Shane Ray (and potentially Shaq Barrett) will depart in FA next year, so if he can't crack the active team next year then he's a bust.

3rd round (82nd overall), Carlos Henderson, WR - Went on IR last year before the season began with a thumb injury, then missed almost all of training camp with a personal matter. Was signed to the PS but then released. Didn't even play a snap for us.

3rd round (101st overall), Brendan Langley, CB - Small school CB who barely played last year. Gifted athlete but numerous beat writers mentioned both last camp and this year that he looks lost out there. Currently on our PS. Considering how weak our CB depth is, that isn't a good sign.

5th round (145th overall), Jake Butt, TE - Dropped in the draft because of his torn ACL at Michigan. Didn't play last year, but was performing well in our 2 TE sets this year (especially in the run game). Unfortunately, he tore his ACL in practice last week and is out for the year.

5th round (172nd overall), Isaiah McKenzie, WR - Drafted because of our woes on ST, and the fact Tyreek Hill had absolutely killed us in 2016. McKenzie muffed about 1,245 punts in 2017 and contributed nothing on Offense. Currently resides on our PS and was beaten out at WR by UDFA Tim Patrick

6th round (203rd overall), De'Angelo Henderson, RB - Played only the final game of last year. Played well in preseason this year but unfortunately for him, Phillip Lindsay (2018 UDFA) is a really good player and he drafted Royce Freeman in the 3rd round this year. We carry a FB and Devontae Booker is our only RB with significant NFL experience so he had no shot. Decided to sign with the Jets PS.

7th round (last pick of the draft), Chad Kelly, QB - Didn't play last year as he was put on IR before the season. Played excellently in the preseason and beat out Paxton Lynch (I know, I know) for our backup QB spot. Assuming he works out as a backup QB, this becomes a very good value pick.

Overall - shambolic draft for a roster that was already thinning on talent. If by some miracle Chad Kelly turns into an NFL starter then this draft is saved - assuming it doesn't, this would be enough to get most GM's fired. Denver's 2018 draft is off to a really promising start, luckily for Elway.

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

TJ Watt has been pretty disappointing.   Has major flashes, but then disappears.    Im really hoping we dump Joey Porter as our LBs coach.   The talent for Watt is there, but Porter has done nothing with any of our LBs.   Time to move on.

Juju Smith Shuster . -    Looking like a beast at the only position we seem to pick well at, anymore.

Cameron Sutton -  Outlook is bleak.

James Conner -   Much better than expected.

Josh Dobbs -   Looked good this preseason.   Hard to say at this point, but probably a solid backup at best.

Brian Allen -  Just made it back onto the 53 man roster after being put on the PS.     Not NFL talent, though.   Then again, most of our secondary isnt.

Colin Holba -   Who...I mean, wha.....I think I got this after eating some bad seafood once....

Keion Adams -  Future MVP....think Von Miller, Khalil Mack and Lawrence Taylor rolled into one manbeast of a player.    He is the primary reason Colbert stated we didnt need to draft any OLBs in the 2018 draft....because he is just that good.   Sure, he isnt on the roster anymore, per se.....but I dont see how that matters.   Dont be jelly, y'all....

Watt's been disappointing? He always seems to kill us.

Myles Garrett - Stud. Dealt with injuries his rookie year but still showed lots of promise when he was healthy. This year he's off to a great start. Even games where he's not making big plays, he seems to open things up for other defensive linemen because opposing offenses always have to focus on Garrett. If he keeps up the pace, he's going to be one of the best defensive players in the league.

David Njoku - Showed flashes of being very good his rookie year, although he still had his fair share of rookie mistakes. Is a liability as a blocker and has problems with drops. This year, his liabilities have continued but he hasn't made any big plays as of yet. Definitely a disappointing year so far, but hopefully once Baker gets more acclimated with the first team offense, he'll develop some chemistry with Njoku.

Jabrill Peppers - I think most Browns fans cut him slack his rookie year because he was playing so obviously out of position. Now that he's switched to SS and playing closer to the LOS, he's looked much better. His return skills certainly haven't translated from college to the pros, but that's not a huge deal.

DeShone Kizer - Bust. At least he netted us Damarious Randall, who has been very good at FS for us.

Larry Ogunjobi - Has looked great so far. Showed flashes in somewhat limited playing time his rookie year, but he's really come on this year.

Howard Wilson - Hasn't played a snap yet due to injury.

Roderick Johnson - Was cut and then signed by the Texans, who I think cut him as well. That should tell you all you need to know.

Celeb Brantley - Had a solid rookie year and was a player fans had high hopes for. Disappointed in camp and failed to secure a roster spot. He was claimed by Washington, who I think he still plays for. I still think he could end up being a good player in this league if he puts it together. He just seemed a bit lazy and unmotivated at times.

Zane Gonzales - Cut. Cost us at least a couple of wins the past two years.

Matthew Dayes - Cut this season. However, that was more due to us having Hyde, Chubb and Duke in front of him. He actually looked pretty good his rookie year in limited carries, and played well in preseason. Apparently he's still a free agent, which is a bit surprising to me. I think he has the makings for a solid #2 RB.

Overall, while it's still a bit early, it seems like a pretty good draft. Some hits and some misses. We just need to see how guys like Njoku develops. But there's definitely more to like than dislike at this point in time.

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

TJ Watt has been pretty disappointing.   Has major flashes, but then disappears.    Im really hoping we dump Joey Porter as our LBs coach.   The talent for Watt is there, but Porter has done nothing with any of our LBs.   Time to move on

Or, maybe those players are just sucky draft picks....

Archived