Week 5 GDT: Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

31 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean did we really need to see the last two games to see Jimmy G's value? He had a few rough spots early on and people were starting to panic. That is normal for a young CB. Deshaun Watson started the season a bit slow and is now absolutely killing it. Jimmy G in the 2nd half of the Chiefs game was starting to get in rhythm and the offense was flowing like it did last year after he took over. I expected that to continue had he not gotten hurt. 

Honestly, he was good but I didn't see any special throws or plays he made. I know he avoided a few sacks which were great, but aside from that? It was a solid performance. Shanny's scheme gets more credit for the way it got receivers open that game. Do we win with Jimmy G that game? No clue, but I think at the very least he could have played a game to the same level that Beathard played. 

Oh, I agree completely. My main point was Beathard wasn't the reason we lost that game. I didn't think he looked atrocious yesterday either tbh. At least one of the picks was a deflection, the last one was going to happen because he had no choice but to force things. Plus he had numerous critical passes flat out dropped. Beathard is a tough SOB and he has good velocity on his throws. I just think we could have much worse under center for us.  

4 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Oh, I agree completely. My main point was Beathard wasn't the reason we lost that game. I didn't think he looked atrocious yesterday either tbh. At least one of the picks was a deflection, the last one was going to happen because he had no choice but to force things. Plus he had numerous critical passes flat out dropped. Beathard is a tough SOB and he has good velocity on his throws. I just think we could have much worse under center for us.  

He just has little to no pocket awareness at times. Like the strip by Jones was terrible and it made Staley look bad when all Beathard had to do was sense the rush and step up in a HUGE pocket. The first INT was off Garcon's hands, but Beathard also missed on some easy throws. He also gets stripped far too easy. You could do worse than Beathard as your back up QB, but he hasn't proven to be reliable yet either. Having the chance to win two games with only a FG and to not even have a chance because of fumbles is terrible. But we need to see if the back up QB position needs to be addressed this offseason or not so lets see how he plays the rest of the way. 

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He just has little to no pocket awareness at times. Like the strip by Jones was terrible and it made Staley look bad when all Beathard had to do was sense the rush and step up in a HUGE pocket. The first INT was off Garcon's hands, but Beathard also missed on some easy throws. He also gets stripped far too easy. You could do worse than Beathard as your back up QB, but he hasn't proven to be reliable yet either. Having the chance to win two games with only a FG and to not even have a chance because of fumbles is terrible. But we need to see if the back up QB position needs to be addressed this offseason or not so lets see how he plays the rest of the way. 

My issue with Beat Hard during the preseason was that he didn't seem to have an internal clock, that he was too laid back, didn't play with any kind of urgency. He'll just drop back and stand on the X marking his spot, and not move, not panic, just let the play unfold, whether it does unfold or not. What I thought was no internal clock is truly a manifestation of poor pocket presence. He should have more urgency. He doesn't, because he doesn't realize how the pressure is being generated around him. He's still inexperienced, maybe it will come. But maybe he needs to just speed things up. If he doesn't sense the pressure is coming, maybe he should just hurry up either way. Kyle should call plays that develop faster. At least for some time. Let him sit back there on playaction fakes, once the running game has been established (which hasn't been hard). The gameplan needs to be altered. He's not Jimmy, and Jimmy isn't him.

THe biggest problem we've had has been the penalties, this year. It's crazy. How do those still keep happening? We're so indisciplined. It kills the momentum, whenever we have some. It's so frustrating to watch. That and the missed tackles, but those haven't been as bad yesterday as they had been previously. Discipline. This team needs some fire. These guys seemed to be playing harder last year when they were winless than they are right now. Sure, it hurts to lose the Jet and Jimmy early on and watching tentative playoffs hopes slip away, but they seem to have given up. That sucks. That's not the attitude you want to have. You want the young guys to learn, you want them to perform and make plays. It's disappointing to see everyone perform below their talent level. Except Breida and Kittle. 

Beathard averaged 12.9 yards per pass attempt when his target was behind the line of scrimmage. He averaged just 5.8 yards on his pass attempts beyond the line of scrimmage.

-Maiocco

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-snap-count-victor-bolden-receives-large-workload-vs-cardinals

That's a clear sign that Shanahan is good at developing gameplans and playcalling. And that's also a sign that Beathard didn't have a great day.

Archived