Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Brock & Damon Huard Recall Memories of Final Game In Kingdome

j6kljvid2ylvydm5rkzi

https://www.seahawks.com/news/brock-damon-huard-recall-memories-of-final-game-in-kingdome

The Kingdome came crashing down 20 years ago today, a final roar for a stadium known for producing deafening noise during its two-plus decade tenure as the home of the Seahawks and Mariners.

But a couple of months before the Kingdome came to its dramatic end, the Seahawks hosted one final game there, a wild-card round contest against the Miami Dolphins. And that game was notable not just because it was a playoff game or because it was the final game in the Kingdome, or even because it was the final win and penultimate game of Dan Marino's Hall of Fame career, but also because it featured a pair of local quarterbacks who happened to be brothers facing each other as opposing quarterbacks.

OK, so it wasn't quite a perfect script. While Damon and Brock Huard were both quarterbacks on the rosters of Miami and Seattle, respectively, both were backups in that game, with Damon serving as the holder for the Dolphins, while Brock was inactive as Seattle's third quarterback. So no, the two didn't have a big impact on the game—though Damon can claim a little piece of Kingdome trivia as being part of the final points scored in the building, along with Dolphins kicker Olindo Mare—but despite their limited roles in the game, it was a special final memory in a building that had been part of the Huard family's sports world for years.       

Brock doesn't have a ton of on-field NFL memories of the Kingdome because he was a rookie during that 1999 season and didn't start any game until the following year when the Seahawks played at Husky Stadium. But he does have one Kingdome memory shared by many former players who played on that hard Astroturf field.

"I can look down at my hands today and still see the scars of turf burn from playing in that stadium, just from playing in preseason games," said Brock, who is a college football analyst for FOX and the color analyst for Seahawks preseason TV broadcasts, as well as the co-host of the Brock and Salk podcast. "Jon Kitna, my roommate that year, was like the walking wounded, he had turf burns all season long… I do remember how hard that field was. It left marks that 20-some years later we can still see."

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...