Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

Anyone have any random games they remember? Regular or postseason. Heck, even preseason. 

1 game I ALWAYS remember is Patriots vs Giants on Dec 21, 1996. I had to google the date as i thought it was 98 or 99 based off memory

I think it was a Saturday game, i was a young kid living near NYC at the time and my parents went to the city for Christmas shopping so i had the apartment to myself. I remember Bill Parcells, Drew Bledsoe in those classic Pats uniforms on a sunny, clear cold December day. 

Giants were up 22-0 but the Pats made a great comeback and scored a GW TD with like 1:30 left. For some reason, this game/memory always stick out to me even though its just a random regular season game. I'll link highlights below 

4 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Anyone have any random games they remember? Regular or postseason. Heck, even preseason. 

1 game I ALWAYS remember is Patriots vs Giants on Dec 21, 1996. I had to google the date as i thought it was 98 or 99 based off memory

I think it was a Saturday game, i was a young kid living near NYC at the time and my parents went to the city for Christmas shopping so i had the apartment to myself. I remember Bill Parcells, Drew Bledsoe in those classic Pats uniforms on a sunny, clear cold December day. 

Giants were up 22-0 but the Pats made a great comeback and scored a GW TD with like 1:30 left. For some reason, this game/memory always stick out to me even though its just a random regular season game. I'll link highlights below 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 10:47 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

"Game of the Week" is on the short list for "Game of the Century."

Wish I'd been able to watch this one as it happened.

Also James Brooks is one of my favorite all-time players.

Edited by Mr Bad Example
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pain. Strangely enough, if Montana doesn't get clobbered resulting in second back surgery, it's still a loss (49ers probably aren't winning that game regardless), and maybe Walsh/the 49ers don't trade for Steve Young. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

10 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

It's always fun to point out to the people who seem to think in binary terms (someone is either a HoF player or worthless) that from 85-87 Joe Montana was on an 0-3 playoff streak with an alarming stat line of 44/88 for 503 yds, 0 yds, and 4 ints.

Yes. To contextualize a bit though, in the '85 wild card game against the Giants he played fine, but the 49ers receivers dropped like 8 passes. I think Craig alone dropped 4. Rice fumbled. Pass pro was hideous. 

'86 game he gets hurt, but like I stated earlier 49ers probably aren't winning that game regardless. 

'87 game he was bad, and couldn't handle the pressure against the Vikings D. 

All in all, just a bad stretch in the playoffs. 

2010 Week 13 Pittsburgh Steelers (8-3) at Baltimore Ravens (8-3)

Sunday Dec 5, 2010
Start Time: 8:30pm
Stadium: M&T Bank Stadium
Attendance: 71,418
Time of Game: 3:05

Epic showdown in primetime between division foes Pittsburgh, and Baltimore. The 2008-2012 saga between these two squads stands tied with 1992-1997 49ers/Cowboys as my favorite rivalry from all my years watching ball. And this was right in the middle of it all. Masterpiece game!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hate Dallas, but Danny White gets too much flack for not living up to the legacy of Staubach. He was a good QB for a while. One of the better starters in the league. This was probably his most notable performance. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe