Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

On 4/22/2023 at 8:37 AM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

In 1998, Ron Wolf tried to trade his whole draft for Andre Wadsworth:

Excellent example of the best trades being the ones you don't make. 
It wasn't necessarily Wadsworth's fault he busted, but it shows the fickleness of the NFL draft - highly coveted 3rd overall pick gone in 3 yrs with 8 sacks total; "consolation" DE at pick 22 plays 15 seasons with 8 sacks in his rookie year. 

As a slightly ironic aside, GB ended up getting HoF play out of the guy taken behind Wadsworth after signing him as a FA (Charles Woodson - 4x 1st/2nd team AP, DPOY, 38 ints, 11.5 sacks, 10 ff)

Edited by Mr Bad Example
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 3:49 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

1988 Los Angeles Rams Yearbook

Those late 80s Rams looked so much like a "team of the future" - productive young QB, two stellar WRs (Ellard, who probably deserves at least a little HoF consideration) and Flipper Anderson, churning out monster RB seasons behind an excellent OL, and a good D. Absolute genius at OC and DC with Zampese and Shurmur. 

Then the wheels fell off, and I don't know that I've ever figured out why. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Then the wheels fell off, and I don't know that I've ever figured out why. 

Yes they just started losing inexplicably after finally establishing a legit starter at the QB position with Everett. That group of players under coach Robinson was never the same following the 1989 NFC title game loss. And it's not like Robinson was a bad coach, or Everett stopped being productive. The entire team just fell off. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I remember that their schedule was brutal and they had several heartbreaking defeats, including one in Philadelphia on an FG block returning for a TD at the end of the game when they were up by 4 points...Of course, the AFC were loaded that year

8 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yes they just started losing inexplicably after finally establishing a legit starter at the QB position with Everett. That group of players under coach Robinson was never the same following the 1989 NFC title game loss. And it's not like Robinson was a bad coach, or Everett stopped being productive. The entire team just fell off. 

All I can figure is it was a bit of a vet-heavy defense and as they departed, the d collapsed.

Ditching a reasonably productive RB in Greg Bell probably didn't help the offense, either.

10 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

I remember that their schedule was brutal and they had several heartbreaking defeats, including one in Philadelphia on an FG block returning for a TD at the end of the game when they were up by 4 points...Of course, the AFC were loaded that year

Chargers also played 4 teams within a 5 week span coming off a BYE. Don't think I've heard of that before. Huge oversight by the NFL. 

Even if they had an extra win they wouldn't have made the playoffs because both the Steelers and Jaguars got to 11-5, and 12-4. I would have had rather had the 10-6 Chiefs or 9-7 Chargers in the playoffs than the Jaguars though, who were easily dismissed by the Patriots in the first round, and it wasn't a shock. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

All I can figure is it was a bit of a vet-heavy defense and as they departed, the d collapsed.

Ditching a reasonably productive RB in Greg Bell probably didn't help the offense, either.

Probably yes. The defense had taken a huge step back in 1990 compared to two seasons prior. LeRoy Irvin was gone at corner, although he was getting old anyway. And yeah on offense jettisoning Greg Bell without a viable replacement wasn't ideal. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

16 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Chargers also played 4 teams within a 5 week span coming off a BYE. Don't think I've heard of that before. Huge oversight by the NFL. 

Even if they had an extra win they wouldn't have made the playoffs because both the Steelers and Jaguars got to 11-5, and 12-4. I would have had rather had the 10-6 Chiefs or 9-7 Chargers in the playoffs than the Jaguars though, who were easily dismissed by the Patriots in the first round, and it wasn't a shock. 

And the Jaguars had also a easy schedule especially after their bye week.Even at 11-5,it would not been good enough for the chargers since the steelers had won against them early in the season(24-22), so the steelers had the tiebreaker

1 hour ago, Steelersfan43 said:

And the Jaguars had also a easy schedule especially after their bye week.Even at 11-5,it would not been good enough for the chargers since the steelers had won against them early in the season(24-22), so the steelers had the tiebreaker

That was one of the years I really wanted a 7th seed, even though I was normally fine with the amount of teams allowed in per conference. 

This isn't about a game persé; it's a weird broadcasting thing. I was going to watch a regional coverage early game between the Bills and somebody (was a while ago, and I don't remember the opponent). A motorist in Buffalo ran his car into some sort of power grid station, and the game could not go out to my area (Illinois). I got another game instead (don't remember the teams). I remember it being a pretty good game, so I didn't mind.

Edited by Mr.UFO