Week 6 GDT: Green Bay Packers vs. San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

21 minutes ago, N4L said:

I would have ran the ball on third down at the end. We probably would have converted, the run game was excellent all night. 

At a minimum it would have ran the clock and they didn't have timeouts. 

Meh, it was a all-out blitz, Cover 0 with Goodwin match-up one-on-one with NO SAFETY in the middle of the field. I'll take that every time we can get it. Like I said, badly thrown ball but I LOVE the agressiveness. CJ rushed the throw because of the blitz but once he gets his IQ up and can recognize that before the snap and adjust his footwork, that's a TD. Can't be conservative there IMO. Rodgers is just too damn good to leave him any time on the clock really. And other QB besides Rodgers, Brees, or Brady in that situation and I'm with you though...

What I will fault CJ for is that third down throw to Kittle when he was WIDE open and he air-mailed it. I KNEW they were going to come back and win only getting a field goal there. We get a TD out of that drive, it's a two score game and we pull out the win....

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I said it at the time that I thought the play was to run it on second down. The clock certainly wasn't our enemy at that point, so that is probably what I would have done. If it gives me a third and 1, I would have QB sneaked it twice in a row if necessary (yes, I would have gone for it on 4th down in that situation). 

I didn't mind the second down call at all. The play was there to be made on the quick slant but Nick Perry just had CJ timed out. That one would have been converted. 

I would have debated going for it on fourth as well, but I probably would have kicked unless it was a foot or something. At that point there would have been like 20 seconds left. 

Would have been fun to go to OT.. 

@757-NINER I said the same thing in response to Papa like 10 minutes ago. It was the right read and I'll never fault someone for playing for the win, but it was a low percentage play in a gotta have it situation. I want high percentage plays. 

It's easy to say in hindsight, especially because it didn't work, but damn 

Just now, 757-NINER said:

What I will fault CJ for is that third down throw to Kittle when he was WIDE open and he air-mailed it. I KNEW they were going to come back and win only getting a field goal there. We get a TD out of that drive, it's a two score game and we pull out the win....

Had to get it over the defender. The batted passes were a problem

Just now, N4L said:

Had to get it over the defender. The batted passes were a problem

They always are with him. It's a little weird. It's not like he a tiny dude back there, and he doesn't have a low release point. There has to be something in his face or in his mechanics that is giving him away. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

They always are with him. It's a little weird. It's not like he a tiny dude back there, and he doesn't have a low release point. There has to be something in his face or in his mechanics that is giving him away. 

Yeah, gotta be the eyes. Would be nice to see him pump it then hand it off on a draw play. Gotta call Nick Perry and figure out what the tell was 

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

I didn't mind the second down call at all. The play was there to be made on the quick slant but Nick Perry just had CJ timed out. That one would have been converted. 

I would have debated going for it on fourth as well, but I probably would have kicked unless it was a foot or something. At that point there would have been like 20 seconds left. 

I just like the idea of pushing it through on second down. You're unlikely to lose major yardage, you can certainly drain the clock, and in all honestly, if you can just get two yards there, I honestly think that it all but guarantees you a fresh set of downs (if you just take the highest of high percentage plays and sneak it twice if necessary) if you don't get it as is, especially with the way our run game was going tonight. At worst, I think you're in the same predicament you were in, but at best, I think it opens a few more opportunities. . As you said, I want high percentage, and I think the odds of picking up that first are greater with the second down run...plus, of course, you drain the clock if you don't get it. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

For one, his footwork is slow and plodding. He doesn't drop back with urgency. If his footwork were quicker and more compact, his drops would be harder to read. If you watch Jimmy, his footwork mechanics while throwing are at times are over the place, but his drops and how he hits his back foot, plant, and releases the ball all in one compact motion is how you want your QB to look with those short drops. It's a quick, concise movement with those 3 step drops. Everything with Beathard is elongated and it just takes more time, which allows guys to react to his movements faster. 

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

For one, his footwork is slow and plodding. He doesn't drop back with urgency. If his footwork were quicker more compact, his drops would be harder to read. If you watch Jimmy, his footwork mechanic s while throwing are at times are over the place, but his drops and how he hits his back foot and releases the ball all in one motion is how you want your QB to look with those short drops. It's quick, little compact movement. Everything with Beathard is elongated and it just takes more time, which allows guys to react to his movements faster. 

Good stuff, I'll have to pay attention to that next week. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Shanahan looks like he about to cry. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMg7x13hoQg

That's an over exaggeration. Disappointed, yes. Tears? Not a chance. Not over a regular season game. The guy has tasted defeat in the super bowl (as has everyone else on this forum) and then he came here only to get pounded on a weekly basis. 

He knew what he signed up for. He knew we were years away. 

That's the thing I like about Kyle, you can tell he knows that he is moving in the right direction and to continue to trust the process. He's a professional in every sense of the word, and is consistent on a day to day basis. Confident but not egotistical. Level headed and logical. It's a phenomenal mental make up for a coach of a professional franchise. 

They said on the radio after the game that mostert was challenged during the week to play better. Essentially his job was on the line. He had a great game. Sometimes the best way to get through to someone is having a sit down with them like adults. You don't have to be a ra-ra coach to motivate people. 

Yes, we are 1-5. But 4 of those 5 losses are against the Vikings, chiefs, chargers, and packers. Just a brutal schedule in hindsight. After the Rams it softens up and winning tonight and/or against the cards would have meant an outside shot at a playoff game and valuable playoff experience. At a minimum you need to know what it's like to be in the HUNT

This team is becoming battle tested. 

I remember Mike Nolan saying 'first a team hopes it can win, then a team believes it can win, then a team knows it can win' 

We are flirting with the line between believing and knowing. Eventually we HAVE to win the turnover battle???

Sherman just means that the play calls are good but that we aren't executing. He has a point. Saleh actually has called a few good games in a row. I went back and rewatched the Cardinals game, he had good timing on a few play calls and the zone blitzes were starting to come together. A few bad ones, that happens. 

Look at how much better our defense has done in the second half of games.

I think we need to commit to rushing 5 on almost every play. It forces one on one matchups across the board and allows our guys to work 1 v 1. Buckner can't handle the double team but cannot be blocked by one guy. We need to force teams to account for more bodies. Hopefully that will cause them to run more max protect, which means less guys running routes.

Thomas needs to be rushed from the interior. I'd love to see us with 5 DL on the field next week. Really control the LOS and force single teams. Marsh -armstead-thomas-buckner-blair. Then he could drop Marsh and blitz tarrt or something like that. Marsh is quick enough he would be ok. He's built more like a 3-4 OLB anyways. 

I've had next week circled on my calendar since week 17 last year. 

Archived