NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Half the PGs in the NBA could push him around.

His skillset and length is intriguing, but he's so light and has serious injury concerns.

Worth a gamble in the teens.

He’s got a pretty thick lower body, though. Kinda weird. It is concerning that he lost a bunch of weight, though z

5 hours ago, amac said:

High school achievements really mean next to nothing to me. He’s not even a lock to be the third pick in a weak draft. It’s a bad look

College achievements mean nothing either? He's going top 3 unless the Knicks trade the pick. Who's getting drafted before him? Garland? Dude that got locked up by a mid-major and can't create at PG? Yikes. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

College achievements mean nothing either? He's going top 3 unless the Knicks trade the pick. Who's getting drafted before him? Garland? Dude that got locked up by a mid-major and can't create at PG? Yikes. 

Well, the only guy I could see going ahead of Barrett would be Sekou and that's solely on the gambling on his upside. Not saying I would, just saying I could see it.

54 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Well, the only guy I could see going ahead of Barrett would be Sekou and that's solely on the gambling on his upside. Not saying I would, just saying I could see it.

Meh. Maybe some team is dumb enough to reach but Barrett is clearly the 3rd best prospect in the draft. He's not a perfect prospect by any means but the RJ slander has gone too far. He'll be a good player in the league, elite player? Probably not. But he's going to be good. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Meh. Maybe some team is dumb enough to reach but Barrett is clearly the 3rd best prospect in the draft. He's not a perfect prospect by any means but the RJ slander has gone too far. He'll be a good player in the league, elite player? Probably not. But he's going to be good. 

Wouldn't call that team dumb tbh. Doumbouya has been a top prospect for just as long as Barrett and he's showing substantial growth as a player. I could see someone being tantalized with his potential upside over Barrett's floor. Both should go before Garland though. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Wouldn't call that team dumb tbh. Doumbouya has been a top prospect for just as long as Barrett and he's showing substantial growth as a player. I could see someone being tantalized with his potential upside over Barrett's floor. Both should go before Garland though. 

He played okay last season but struggled shooting the ball, don't really care that he can hit shots in an empty gym. Barrett is the third best prospect in the draft, before the workouts started most had Sekou as a mid first round pick based on his tape. Out of sight, out of mind tends to help guys get over drafted year after year. Which is why guys like Dante Exum, Thon Maker, etc have been selected extremely high when they shouldn't have been. 

He played okay last season but struggled shooting the ball, don't really care that he can hit shots in an empty gym. Barrett is the third best prospect in the draft, before the workouts started most had Sekou as a mid first round pick based on his tape. Out of sight, out of mind tends to help guys get over drafted year after year. Which is why guys like Dante Exum, Thon Maker, etc have been selected extremely high when they shouldn't have been. 

TBF everyone in this draft after Barrett profiles as a mid first round pick based on their tapes. That's why I could see someone going with Doumbouya's or even Bol's upside. Really ****ty year to have a lottery pick.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

TBF everyone in this draft after Barrett profiles as a mid first round pick based on their tapes. That's why I could see someone going with Doumbouya's or even Bol's upside. Really ****ty year to have a lottery pick.

That's true, I'm usually not a huge fan of the boom/bust type prospects but in a class like this I'd just swing for the fences and live with the results. Doumbouya and Bol both have limited tape, unique physical profiles/athleticism, and high upside. I think that both guys will be selected a lot higher than most people are projecting because they'll look amazing in workouts. 

That's true, I'm usually not a huge fan of the boom/bust type prospects but in a class like this I'd just swing for the fences and live with the results. Doumbouya and Bol both have limited tape, unique physical profiles/athleticism, and high upside. I think that both guys will be selected a lot higher than most people are projecting because they'll look amazing in workouts. 

You gotta ask yourself, when making that pick (Sekou or Bol), is a Jarrett Culver or a DeAndre Hunter going to make you severely regret it if Sekou/Bol bust? I don't really think they will. In a draft like this, you live with going after the upside. 

Bol Bol's fludity, ball handling, and shooting at his size are unreal. He also blocked 4 shots per 40 minutes in the limited time he had at Oregon last year and hit 13/25 3 point attempts. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. Atlanta would be the perfect spot for him, IMO. They can afford to be patient with his development and he can play next to John Collins long-term because both guys have some range in their game. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

You gotta ask yourself, when making that pick (Sekou or Bol), is a Jarrett Culver or a DeAndre Hunter going to make you severely regret it if Sekou/Bol bust? I don't really think they will. In a draft like this, you live with going after the upside. 

That's true. I'd probably swing on Bol Bol before Sekou though just because his skill-set and physical profile are 1 in a million. The only other recent prospect that's even comparable is Kristapas. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's true. I'd probably swing on Bol Bol before Sekou though just because his skill-set and physical profile are 1 in a million. The only other recent prospect that's even comparable is Kristapas. 

Wouldn't argue with ya there.

Archived