AL Wild Card Thread

kyle21121

So does anyone really want to make the playoffs in the AL? It seems the Yankees do but who else? NY could still possibly win the East but I think the Central and West are set and assuming one of NY/BOS (likely NY) takes that first WC spot who is taking the second one?

as of this morning:

Los Angeles 62-59 -

Kansas City 61-59 .5 GB

Minnesota 60-59 1 GB

Seattle 61-61 1.5 GB

Texas 60-60 1.5 GB

Tampa Bay 60-63 3 GB

Baltimore 59-62 3 GB

Toronto 59-62 3 GB

That's 8 teams within 3 games that are all "contending" for that final playoff spot. Several of these teams sold off or lightly sold some players almost conceding the season yet they are right in the mix.

I find this insane as a Jays fan a team that just couldn't get above .500 (and still haven't) all season and even if the sell off was only minor I thought it could have been major and that this season was a write off. They've actually been playing well lately going from terrible to mediocre but mediocre may be enough to make the playoffs this year. 

General thoughts on who could make it?

Yeah, quite the group of mediocre teams. No idea who (if anyone) is going to step up and start winning consistently from this group.

Too bad the M's season had to go off the rails so bad. This was definitely the year to end our playoff drought. Doubt we can do it with Paxton on the DL now though.

23 minutes ago, Eagles27 said:

Yeah, quite the group of mediocre teams. No idea who (if anyone) is going to step up and start winning consistently from this group.

Too bad the M's season had to go off the rails so bad. This was definitely the year to end our playoff drought. Doubt we can do it with Paxton on the DL now though.

Fair enough. They are right in it though. Which is insane. I don't follow Seattle very much but the Jays are right there and they've basically only play 5-6 weeks of good baseball along with a season of mediocre to bad play all around. 

As a fan of a team that had a long playoff drought (22 years I think?) I'm aware of how huge and uplifting a playoff berth is and what it can do for a fan base because when the jays won in 92 and 93 I was 2 and 3 years old and my life the team I followed was basically a 76 to 86 win team that was just so pedestrian and usually by mid August the season was pretty much over barring a miracle hot finish. 

After the trade deadline my prediction was the Jays would get hot win 85-86 games, just miss the playoffs and trick fans and management into going all in again next year but it's wild to think that maybe 85-86 wins (or even fewer?) is all it would take. 

I wouldn't bank on whoever of these 8 teams that makes it does anything but it would certainly be exhilarating as a fan base to sneak and and maybe win that WC game and be a part of the playoffs. It's a weird and interesting mix of teams all that have basically had up and down years to be in it at this point. 

Archived