BigFin's Big F'n Midseason Mock

Tetsujin

No QB early. Sorry...

1) Zach Allen DE Boston College - Top edge defender in college football. Great vs the run. No slouch getting after the passer, either. Has adequate tools in that department.

TRADE DOWN to end of the 2nd, pick up a late 3rd

2) Rishard Lawrence DT LSU - All the sexy DT's go early. Bigtime run defender (6'3 320-lb) at DT while still being mobile enough to go laterally.

3) Germaine Pratt LB NC State - Former S moved to linebacker is really putting it together. Good size (6'2 240)

3) Beau Benzschawel, RG, Wisconsin - nothing needs to be said

4) Ryan Anderson OC Wake Forest - Underrated due to team

5) Deondre Francois QB FSU - Bigtime arm talent getting killed by his own team. Had nice tape his first year starting, injured all of 2017. Not a real fit for FSU's new college style offense. Declares.

6) Zack Bailey OL So. Carolina - played everywhere along the OL, most recently RT

7) I'm done

I was toying with a CB instead of Francois in the 5th.

9 hours ago, ericsvibe said:

This would be a great draft if we had a franchise QB.

Pundits are saying it's a terrible QB class. I don't watch college ball and have no opinion, but I know it's an easy problem to point out but harder to address. Competition needs to be added at minimum.

True that 2019 isn’t considered a great QB class, but I believe there could be 4-5 QBs in the draft that would be upgrades over Tannehill after their rookie season, and could take over in 2020.  I think Hebert and Locke will go in round 1 before pick 15.

Hebert

Locke

Stidham

Greir

Finley

There are strong rumblings that Herbert may not even declare, making the position even weaker.  He's the only QB I take in the 1st round and there's no way he's there for the Fins if he does declare.  We're probably looking at the 15-18 range.  We couldn't afford a trade up to where Herbert would go.  I'm not opposed to one of the guys in the 2nd round range though.  Definitely need to address the QB position somewhere every year until we find one.

On 11/8/2018 at 5:01 PM, hrubes20 said:

There are strong rumblings that Herbert may not even declare, making the position even weaker.  He's the only QB I take in the 1st round and there's no way he's there for the Fins if he does declare.  We're probably looking at the 15-18 range.  We couldn't afford a trade up to where Herbert would go.  I'm not opposed to one of the guys in the 2nd round range though.  Definitely need to address the QB position somewhere every year until we find one.

I’m not opposed to a QB in the second round range either, but I’m leaning towards Hebert coming out this draft since he would likely have competition from Tua Tagaviola in 2020........and right now Tua is certainly the front runner for first pick when he declares.

Hebert would likely be the first pick overall if he declares for 2019.  To swap first rounders it would cost us a 2020 1st and a 2019 second and probably a 2020 second or third.  If our front office identifies Hebert as an upgrade over what we have then I’m OK with giving that up.   The franchise QB is probably the most sought after professional athlete in all of American sports, and considering the effect a franchise QB can have on an NFL team, I would trade 2 entire drafts to land the right one.

I definitely agree that we need to address the QB position every year until we find one, and if we end up with 3 starting caliber QBs on the roster then we have some nice draft capital for future years.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not a good QB class at all.

i would give up a 3rd for Derek Carr.  Even consider a second.  His contract is very team friendly after this season.  If it doesn’t work out, you’re in great position to take Frohmm etc in 2020 and you can cut Carr for next to nothing.

if Carr works out you have your QB for the next 8-12 years.  He is only 27. 

Go heavy on DL and OL in draft. 

Archived