2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

NY Daily News:

There is a “significant market” for Landon Collins if he hits free agency on March 13, according to league sources. And there are many who believe that the Giants indeed will let him walk out the door and not franchise tag him before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline.

One NFL source did say he understands why the Giants would not franchise Collins because he feels the $11.15 million 2019 salary accompanying the non-exclusive franchise tag is steep.

However, there are plenty of teams who have a higher opinion of Collins, 25, a three-time Pro Bowler and 2016 first-team All-Pro. And there will be a line of suitors waiting for the 2016 defensive player of the year finalist if he hits the open market.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

NY Daily News:

There is a “significant market” for Landon Collins if he hits free agency on March 13, according to league sources. And there are many who believe that the Giants indeed will let him walk out the door and not franchise tag him before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline.

One NFL source did say he understands why the Giants would not franchise Collins because he feels the $11.15 million 2019 salary accompanying the non-exclusive franchise tag is steep.

However, there are plenty of teams who have a higher opinion of Collins, 25, a three-time Pro Bowler and 2016 first-team All-Pro. And there will be a line of suitors waiting for the 2016 defensive player of the year finalist if he hits the open market.

The Giants have gotten themselves so stuck. Vernon's dead cap is 8M, Eli's is 6.2M, Ogletree's is 11.25, and they have a 7M cap hit for their RB. What a mess they created.

• Like 1

CHTV:

Free agent safety Earl Thomas said last week that he wants to be the NFL's highest-paid at his position.  The Packers, as it turns out, need a safety.  Or two.  And as we've learned, counting solely on young players in those roles is not an ideal recipe.

Some hear "highest paid" and cringe.  Last year, when Aaron Rodgers signed his current extension, many fans who are staunch supporters of Rodgers and the Packers weren't thrilled with the money that was thrown around.

It's important to be financially prudent, as Russ Ball has been for many years.  But there's also a time to strike when the opportunity allows for it.

With Seattle, Thomas was the fifth-highest paid safety in the league, both in overall contract value and average per year.  His deal was worth $40 million and averaged $10 million per season.  Even at those numbers, Thomas's teammate Kam Chancellor came in with a contract worth $12 million per year ($38 million total).

The league's highest-paid safety is Kansas City's Eric Berry, at $78 million total and $13 million per season.  Berry just turned 31.  Thomas turns 30 in May.

Just now, rcon14 said:

He'd be alright, the right type of RB. Hard to sell me on more than a day 3 pick, but the salary would be low and very limited guarantees.

Yea, I mean I haven't paid huge attention to the RB class, but from the combine at least, it appeared to be an underwhelming crop. I'd do a day 3 pick for Johnson all day. 

3 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

He'd be alright, the right type of RB. Hard to sell me on more than a day 3 pick, but the salary would be low and very limited guarantees.

$1.8m, $3.6m, $4.65m cap hits for the next 3 years. Stomach-able, I just don't like Duke Johnson very much

Just now, packfanfb said:

Yea, I mean I haven't paid huge attention to the RB class, but from the combine at least, it appeared to be an underwhelming crop. I'd do a day 3 pick for Johnson all day. 

Yeah it's just kinda meh. RB isn't a position I put too much concern on from the combine. For me it's moreso an eliminator. Can you run a sub 4.65 40, can you run a decent 3C, is your size acceptable. There's plenty of guys that qualify and I'm honestly not worried about the RB position. We already have Aaron Jones who is a top 3 RB and Jamaal Williams is completely competent. I don't think we need to spend anything more than a 5th or later at the RB position, which remember, largely doesn't matter.

Just now, rcon14 said:

Yeah it's just kinda meh. RB isn't a position I put too much concern on from the combine. For me it's moreso an eliminator. Can you run a sub 4.65 40, can you run a decent 3C, is your size acceptable. There's plenty of guys that qualify and I'm honestly not worried about the RB position. We already have Aaron Jones who is a top 3 RB and Jamaal Williams is completely competent. I don't think we need to spend anything more than a 5th or later at the RB position, which remember, largely doesn't matter.

Top 3 in what, the division?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Top 3 in what, the division?

Aaron Jones was the most efficient RB in the NFL last year on a per touch basis and was the 2nd most efficient his rookie year.

Edited by rcon14