Is Cap Space Significant Anymore?

Asciimo

Cap Space  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Does the cap space truly affect teams' moves anymore?

• Yes.
    • Not as much as it used to.
    • No.

13 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

It is absolutely critical. As is management of cap space.

Agreed. It definitely matters. Teams are better at managing it than they were in the past, but you still see some teams getting stuck in difficult situations. Seattle is an example of that.

I thought it was but if a team keeps wasting cap space, then it makes one reconsider that's for sure. I still have the mindset that getting say 2 or 3 proven quality starters is a good way to help a team, but  how often does that happen? The rams went  that route, but I don't know how many other teams did.  I know the steelers didn't, instead wasted having cap space for player that isn't going to play a snap. At least it rolls over for 2019, so lets see what they do in the 2019 offseason .

NO yankees of the NFL because every team has the same cap space.  The restructuring is a way to free up a bit of room, that helps a bit. Some teams might compromise their future,  it's going to be a balancing proposition of good drafting and some UFA's.   What puzzles me is how some teams have so much cap space as in $100M + and other teams are always out of cap space. To get to 100M+ I would think it must take a few years to get that much space, but I never thought teams did that.  

On 2018-11-15 at 11:54 PM, Matts4313 said:

Hell, look at the Eagles last year. They added/resigned a bunch of key guys and won the bowl

I was hoping the steelers would add a few pieces in UFA or trades, but not this year.  Liked what the eagles did last year,  winning SB without all pro LT, starting QB and without bell, nice work eagles. 

Yes they are important. It may seem like it don't right now to some teams/fans but that is largely because the league is essentially still going through a transition phase where some teams have still yet to see the effects of the last CBA.

For instance, those teams who acquired a QB before the CBA (NE, SEA, PIT, NO, GB, ATL, DET, BAL,etc) have been forced to work around their current contracts whereas other teams have had the benefit of not having too.

Eventually, every team will be on even ground.

Rookie pay scale is responsible for teams being better with cap space.  They get to see 4-5 years before they have to commit $$$.  Aaron Curry got 60m, Bradford got 76m as rookies.  One bad draft and a few bad FA signings equaled cap hell 10 years ago.  Now rookies can solve cap problems instead of causing it.

Archived