Hargrave

3rivers

He is a force when allowed to attack and is a good passrusher. After the jags game, I thought that he should replace Tuitt or at least be in a rotation as a DT in nickel and dime defences . He really had a great game and deserves more playing time in an attacking scheme as a result.   He stepped up in the jags game when the majority of the from were terrible for about 3 quarters. 

Agree or disagree?

47 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

He is a force when allowed to attack and is a good passrusher. After the jags game, I thought that he should replace Tuitt or at least be in a rotation as a DT in nickel and dime defences . He really had a great game and deserves more playing time in an attacking scheme as a result.   He stepped up in the jags game when the majority of the from were terrible for about 3 quarters. 

Agree or disagree?

He is good at Pass Rushing. His Run stuffing needs improving. So, it just depends on what you want from your NT. 

16 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

He is good at Pass Rushing. His Run stuffing needs improving. So, it just depends on what you want from your NT. 

He isn't a good run defender but for passing downs he rarely plays and I think he should, it's actually where he is most valuable. At DT in a 4 man front passing downs, he might be my first choice on this roster (Heyward) ,  but he rarely gets that chance.  With "NT's" , it's usually a run defender that can't rush the passer, with some exceptions.  Hargrave is much better at rushing the passer, but will he get more chances?

24 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

He isn't a good run defender but for passing downs he rarely plays and I think he should, it's actually where he is most valuable. At DT in a 4 man front passing downs, he might be my first choice on this roster (Heyward) ,  but he rarely gets that chance.  With "NT's" , it's usually a run defender that can't rush the passer, with some exceptions.  Hargrave is much better at rushing the passer, but will he get more chances?

I'm against playing the 4-3 until we get players that can play a 4-3. 

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

I'm against playing the 4-3 until we get players that can play a 4-3. 

I was referring to passing downs nickel and dime, where we have the 2 DT's inside, usually Tuitt and Heyward, but I want to let Hargrave get more chances for that.  

7 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I can get on board with that. 

maybe Tuitt' injury  will force the change and then they will have to keep playing Hargrave since he is effective as a pass rusher on passing downs.  If Hargrave plays on passing downs again this week, I expect a similar game.

10 hours ago, Chieferific said:

If the future of the NFL was on display on Monday night, Then I don’t want a run stuffing one.

At least not as my main down guy, anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

If the future of the NFL was on display on Monday night, Then I don’t want a run stuffing one.

At least not as my main down guy, anyway. 

Yet people who held that opinion in the offseason were berrated for saying drafting a run stuffing NT was a waste. 

FWIW Via Vita looks to be a big bust early. 

Regarding his position or not; Hargrave most certain should be getting more snaps regardless. He's one of those rare nose tackle who is really excellent at pass rushing, if anything- I'd try to convey our scheme around the defensive linemen we have, especially Hargrave. It just means instead of having a pass rusher at OLB (Dupree) who were asked to drop back A LOT, we could get a Cover 2 off-the-ball linebacker of a safety (Morgan Burnett came to the mind for this season).

We could have more production out of this plan because we are consistently allowing our players to get opportunities without losing the functioning of a scheme. Hargrave is probably one of the best pass-rushing defensive tackle I have seen, he just has the knack for being in the backfield, arguably better than Heyward and Tuitt.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Yet people who held that opinion in the offseason were berrated for saying drafting a run stuffing NT was a waste. 

I would give up on the idea of a good run D. This league  is about passing and has been for a while.  Tomlin and Butler might be finally letting Hargrave play to his strengths  but we will see ifs he plays more pass rushing downs.  2 gap 3-4 and 0 tech run defenders are fossils.  Vita Vea, Danny Shelton probably others that are no longer of much value. A redraft now would have them maybe 5th round picks, the game is different.  

I wouldn't doubt it if the 9 wide becomes more popular. It gives the DT's more room to move and the edge defenders don't have to be as skilled  . 

Our 2008 D probably wouldn't fare to well today at all. I didn't do well vs top QB's  back then, just imagine now.

I used to like the game much more when D mattered and the running game and physicality was there, such as low scoring Ravens games.  After watching that game the other night, I thought it's a waste to invest on D. The media (players included) Hype the D players and the plays they made, but as a whole the D is terrible because of the rules and then some is to blame on the good skilled offensive players ^_^ I have wanted us to build a better D, but maybe the way to win is to make the offence the best it can be and then the D gets what is remaining of the cap. Don't play run D either, just rush every down.  

What team(S)  plays the D that you think is best suited for this game of today?

It’s dumb to say you shouldn’t invest in defense after watching the MNF game. If the Rams don’t have playmakers on defense, they lose. We absolutely need to keep drafting defense. Pass rushers and athletes, you can never have too many. Look how much better we’ve been playing now that the defense is healthy.

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It’s dumb to say you shouldn’t invest in defense after watching the MNF game. If the Rams don’t have playmakers on defense, they lose. We absolutely need to keep drafting defense. Pass rushers and athletes, you can never have too many. Look how much better we’ve been playing now that the defense is healthy.

invest yes, but after the offence is totally set.  I don't see the Chiefs putting 50+ on everyone  yet the rams paid quite a bit for the D.  I used to want for us to get the D back to the top 5 or even top 10 but am starting to think there isn't near the importance on D until the offence has top talent everywhere and depth in case of injury.  We will see who wins over the next few years and how they are comprised.  I still think TOP is important, but maybe that will change. 

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

That's not entirely incorrect but I still believe if you can find a guy, even if it's McCullers, to be a 'Run Down' Run Stuffing NT, that it's a necessity to run stopping defenses.  But I do agree that the time has come in the NFL where you do not draft that in the first 3 rounds.

30 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

That's not entirely incorrect but I still believe if you can find a guy, even if it's McCullers, to be a 'Run Down' Run Stuffing NT, that it's a necessity to run stopping defenses.  But I do agree that the time has come in the NFL where you do not draft that in the first 3 rounds.

will there even be NT' sin 5 years in NCAA to draft to the NFL? There isn't the demand there was way back that's for sure.

Archived