Tis The Season Draft

Karnage84

It's another year and we get to do what we do best as Lions fans: Dream about the upcoming draft and all of the gifts that we'll find under the tree with hopes of an above 0.500 season next year.

I ran a mock draft using Fanspeak. I'm a bit disconnected on some of the players and fits so this is more about rankings and positions. I'll make comments where I feel the need to explain the pick. Feel free to be a Grinch.

1) Greedy Williams, CB, LSU: Our first pick is (gasp) not a D-Lineman. The secondary has been a struggle for years with Slay being the lone bright spot at corner. We pair him up with another solid corner to give our front 7 some extra time to make plays.

2) Deionte Thompson, FS, Alabama: From what I gather, he won't be here when the real draft rolls around but Fanspeak says he will.. so I'll run with that. Quin is on his last legs but he has been an essential member of the defense when it has had success. Thompson is a playmaker and could be a huge x-factor on the backside.

3) David Sills, WR, West Virginia: The offense needs an infusion of talent. Golladay was a great find in the 3rd round and we'll add Sills into the mix. He has excellent size and can fit inside/outside. He'll be a very good replacement for Tate.

4) Zach Allen, DE, Boston College

5) Porter Gustin, OLB/DE, USC

6)Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State: Likely won't be here as well. X-Factor on offense. Can play WR and RB.

6) Gary Johnson, LB, Texas

7) Daelin Hayes, DL, Notre Dame

7) Aeris Williams, RB, Mississippi State

I feel like we'd go into next season with many of the same problems that we've got this season.

Weak Oline and front 7. I know it's hard to fix all the issues in an off season, but I'd like to see the offensive line fixed and a play maker or two added to the front 7. Philosophically, I believe who we have in the secondary is almost irrelevant until we can manufacture a pass rush. Good QBs will always pick apart a secondary if given enough time. 

12 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I feel like we'd go into next season with many of the same problems that we've got this season.

Weak Oline and front 7. I know it's hard to fix all the issues in an off season, but I'd like to see the offensive line fixed and a play maker or two added to the front 7. Philosophically, I believe who we have in the secondary is almost irrelevant until we can manufacture a pass rush. Good QBs will always pick apart a secondary if given enough time. 

I would use FA to address the OL - bring in a  solid RG and give Crosby a chance to compete for the RT spot with a middle tier vet FA to compete. Same goes for the DL - there are likely a couple guys that could be brought in to help shore things up. Harrison was a solid get and a guy that we can build around. The money that we're paying Ansah will be freed up and can be slotted to more reliable players.

I like the thought of fixing the secondary and that's a good start.

But not sure you could get Allen in the 4th so think you need to get more creative getting a pr..

Imo 3rd is to early for a wr ... lber,dl,ol and idc what you do in fa. I'd rather fa a wr before I would dl,pr,ol imo

I like your thought process I'd just tweek it a little different with different players after rd2

3 hours ago, Rockcity2 said:

I like the thought of fixing the secondary and that's a good start.

But not sure you could get Allen in the 4th so think you need to get more creative getting a pr..

Imo 3rd is to early for a wr ... lber,dl,ol and idc what you do in fa. I'd rather fa a wr before I would dl,pr,ol imo

I like your thought process I'd just tweek it a little different with different players after rd2

This is a much better reaction than expected (in general), so thanks.

I just went with whatever Fanspeak had in terms of rankings. These things will fly all over the place as we start working on the process. I remember the days of Damontre Moore as a projected top 5 pick.

I think if you're looking for someone that can be an instant contributor with some upside, you're going to have to look at rounds 3-4. Yes, there are the UDFA guys that come out of nowhere and become studs. I'm just looking at guys that have the skills to develop into full-fledged starters generally are in this area. A guy like Sills or Riley Ridley (I don't even think he'd be there by the time the draft rolls around) can play a role in the offense and develop into becoming a starting piece. There aren't a ton of FA WR's for 2019 that I'm overly thrilled about. I might kick the tires on Kelvin Benjamin from a size/skill perspective but he seems to have a terrible attitude and can be underwhelming. Martavis is another guy that I would look at bringing on board.

21 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

This is a much better reaction than expected (in general), so thanks.

I just went with whatever Fanspeak had in terms of rankings. These things will fly all over the place as we start working on the process. I remember the days of Damontre Moore as a projected top 5 pick.

I think if you're looking for someone that can be an instant contributor with some upside, you're going to have to look at rounds 3-4. Yes, there are the UDFA guys that come out of nowhere and become studs. I'm just looking at guys that have the skills to develop into full-fledged starters generally are in this area. A guy like Sills or Riley Ridley (I don't even think he'd be there by the time the draft rolls around) can play a role in the offense and develop into becoming a starting piece. There aren't a ton of FA WR's for 2019 that I'm overly thrilled about. I might kick the tires on Kelvin Benjamin from a size/skill perspective but he seems to have a terrible attitude and can be underwhelming. Martavis is another guy that I would look at bringing on board.

Fanspeak is a joke with those rankings imo.. I don't think it should be that hard to find a number 3.. we just have bigger needs imo. I'd honestly rather draft another rb before a wr but just my opinion..

20 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

Fanspeak is a joke with those rankings imo.. I don't think it should be that hard to find a number 3.. we just have bigger needs imo. I'd honestly rather draft another rb before a wr but just my opinion..

If you address the #3 spot with a FA guy like Bryant or Benjamin, sure.. maybe that makes sense. The cupboard is pretty bare right now with MJJ out. We've seen what one injury can do to our WR corp.

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If you address the #3 spot with a FA guy like Bryant or Benjamin, sure.. maybe that makes sense. The cupboard is pretty bare right now with MJJ out. We've seen what one injury can do to our WR corp.

Kinda like when we lose kj... who often gets nicked up..

TE and Rb feel more pressing iyam

1 minute ago, Rockcity2 said:

Kinda like when we lose kj... who often gets nicked up..

TE and Rb feel more pressing iyam

You're not wrong but I suspect we should be able to add someone later in the draft or UDFA who can be the 3rd or 4th RB. We have Riddick, who is a reliable pass-catching back.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You're not wrong but I suspect we should be able to add someone later in the draft or UDFA who can be the 3rd or 4th RB. We have Riddick, who is a reliable pass-catching back.

So when kj goes down we depend on an undfa and Riddick...k..each his own

Just now, Rockcity2 said:

So when kj goes down we depend on an undfa and Riddick...k..each his own

You only have so many pieces,. We are a passing offense that is lacking in passing options. We're paying Stafford a buttload of money for him to pass to receivers. We need to ensure we have guys that can actually catch the ball and make plays. If we could find 5 guys through UDFA that could do that, then let's grab another RB in rounds 2 or 3. That seems highly unlikely to me. Despite being a bit of a plodder, Blount filled in pretty well for KJ last time. We could have similar success with some pieces on the OL despite a lesser talent.

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You only have so many pieces,. We are a passing offense that is lacking in passing options. We're paying Stafford a buttload of money for him to pass to receivers. We need to ensure we have guys that can actually catch the ball and make plays. If we could find 5 guys through UDFA that could do that, then let's grab another RB in rounds 2 or 3. That seems highly unlikely to me. Despite being a bit of a plodder, Blount filled in pretty well for KJ last time. We could have similar success with some pieces on the OL despite a lesser talent.

If I'm betting I bet they grab a wr in fa. Fa isn't set in stone others could be released. 

I don't wanna revert back to just chucking it everywhere... if they don't fix this line why would you do that to Stafford. We instantly become one demensional. And well you know how Stafford is... and if you think this run game is finished bc we have kj big mistake imo..

Not trying to sway you just throwing out my concerns 

Te is a bigger concern for me then wr..

But I get where your at

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, ManeLine said:

I want Ed Oliver

I watch his tape a lot.. and something is just off for me with him.. first I'm stuck fit (where's his spot) then idk I guess get a bad diva vibes.. like a lot of what he can do but I don't feel he's gonna blow the league away and far as value think I could do better in the second rd. If they were to pick him wouldn't be mad but wouldn't be jumping up and down either

Archived