The 3 Point Line

dtait93

So a few days ago I was listening to a Popovich interview and he was talking about the 3 pointer and how it's effecting the game today. Here's what he said - "There's no basketball anymore, there's no beauty in it. Now you look at a stat sheet after a game and the first thing you look at is the 3s. If you made 3s and the other team didn't, you win. You don't even look at the rebounds or the turnovers or how much transition D was involved. You don't even care. These days there's such an emphasis on the 3 because it's proven to be analytically correct."

Now I don't agree entirely about how you don't look at any other stats outside of 3 pointers, but I do agree with his over-arching theme (mainly his last sentence). Personally, I don't enjoy the "chucking" we're seeing teams turn to if they're not able to get a shot close to the basket, but I don't blame them for playing that way because it really is, "analytically correct." 

I have no idea if this discussion has been had on here or not, but would you like to see the 3 point line moved back to combat, "chucking" (meaning the ungodly amount of 3 pointers being attempted)? Or do you enjoy how the game has evolved and think it should be left alone?

They'd have to change the dimensions of the court to extend the line.

I mean looking at 3s first is no different than looking at any other states first. I see just as much beauty in a P&R or off-ball movement that leads to an open 3 as I do that same movement for a mid-range J or post move.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 3 point line is good and there should even be 4 point for a half-court shot (hate me) but the problem is not its existence or analytics.

The problem is you're not allowed to play defense. You don't have to be a genius to figure out why for over 3 decades the 3 point line didn't transform the game into chuck-fests as some are describing. It's the rules. Allow defense and I guarantee you a lot less 3 point shooting, or at least successful 3 point shooting.

However as a STH for the Raps I'm not seeing that many 3 point shooting on most nights. Still interior baskets.

Is there a link to his full comments? I'd like to see it because from the quote posted it seems like he's seems upset that other teams are doing well and he can't get his team to do the same...except when they won that last championship they were killing teams with spacing, ball movement and 3s.

I agree to an extent though, there is too much chucking. But the Warriors are really the only team that can get away with it. The Rockets built their team around it, but they get a lot of great looks (or at least more last year I guess?) because that's what MDA's offense does, and they pushed the Warriors last year in large part because Capella, Ariza and company played amazing defense. I don't think it comes down to just chucking, what team has gotten better just because they're chucking 3s any chance they get? You still need to work to get quality shots like you always did.

Archived